You no what bothers me and a waste of time

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, let’s see oh 10,000 years ago we throw these words around loosely folks, hell we can’t even prove the facts of 500 years ago. Point is scholars, professor, the so-called experts with there are none in this world experts, please. I’m sad to say schools you lousy education system that’s predetermined to teach you certain things are so way off off history, they don’t even teach local history folks. If it’s not important that so be it, but myself and friend use the oldest maps we can find , find and enter old foundations link them to actual names of people and when you tell folks about 200 years ago they say really. Point is stick to the lakes and rivers don’t attempt to speak big like oceans when most of you especially the education system that honestly is lost, I no from speaking to a few off the record, they say the circriculum is predetermined and teach that, gee I will end by saying we are an ignorant society because schools wasting time , I can go research , read maps , groundwork myself and show facts of early settlers no garbage reality tv, nobody wants to find the truth they rather live in fantasy land

Last edited by a moderator:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know why you're complaining about the education system. It seems to have worked for you.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are by some chance an educator I’m not offending you, most people are not to narrowed minded to no the facts you just have to be unbiased and sit down with the very people that have the profession of education, and myself I always promote higher learning, given the fact it presents facts not fiction, very simple if you can’t prove something why make any statements at all, friends live my life by facts it’s the real world it’s what matters, my education on consist of high school and military and observation and talking with elders who in do respect have lesser education but in no way are ignorant. That’s the problem we should spend more time with asking and don’t worry questioning the very system that doesn’t like being proved wrong, no controversy here, simple facts and truth, if this thread offends you than you are to narrow minded that others might just want truth to life and not predetermined system that’s failing us

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife is a teacher, and I have come to her profession's defense a few times here at TNet. Your post, however, doesn't offend me. I'm not sure what your beef is. All schools must have a curriculum plan. All teachers have lesson plans for every day, that follow that curriculum. The reason you are taught to read, is so that you may read about all of those things that teachers have no time to teach you. Learning is an individual responsibility. Public schools function to provide the student with the BASIC tools needed, so they may go out in the world, and continue to learn. They ( teachers/schools ), cannot teach you everything.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look we all need to learn how to read and write, oh I stand corrected some schools don’t even teach that, hand writing, there’s nothing to defend, very simple sir, Columbus didn’t discover America which is taught to everyone, my point is you are right schools have a curriculum program , it needs updated. Living is a learning process but American schools compared to other countries isn’t nothing to brag about unless they are exaggerating, for which that’s another problem trusting government. We’ll appreciate the response, tomorrow is 2020 I think we should update a system that’s lacking according to the so called experts, thankyou

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A debate about what ails our education system, probably doesn't belong here. Just my opinion. Now, weird things that happened to you in school involving teachers, that would be good. My fifth grade teacher had a paddle he made himself. About two feet long, 6 inches wide, looked like a cricket bat. All shiny black, red racing stripe, holes drilled in it for speed. He liked using it, and it would nearly knock you off your feet. Felt in one time. I really hated that S.O.B. We paid attention in class. 1965.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm, I was in a Catholic school when the Nun gave me the edge of a ruler across the back of my hand. I was cured! 1947

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, in re-reading the posts, I thought corporal punishment would have been banned when you kids were in school.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t even know what to say/ must be my lack of education

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Wow, in re-reading the posts, I thought corporal punishment would have been banned when you kids were in school.

no, way back when . . ., learning in school was required
males, in particular, must learn self-control, self-discipline, and self-restraint
the veneer of civilization
first the words, then the rod
in some worlds, not learning is not an option

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A fine place to start would be understanding the difference between "to" and "too". I usually take a post less seriously (especially a post about education) when the author flubs it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember My history and geography Class My god BOOOORING and in the AM after smoking a little go to school tabaccy I would stand in the back of the class to stay awake cause we always had exams coming then I would lift one leg raise both hands over my head the teacher would ask what are you doing ? Using there put me to sleep MONITONE voice!@!@! Im trying to stay awake ...After. holding this position for 10 minutes I would yell out who has scissors some one would say I do then I would say stab me with em so I could keep awake 10 mins later someone sock me in the face, another 10 minutes go by I got a bloody nose, my leg is bleeding from the scissor attack Im getting ready to blow ZZZZZZs some one light me on fire......The Monitone voice the Boooring subject was way worse than a paddle in my experiance

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Or no and know. School was a glorified babysitter and really nothing more. They didnt teach me much of what I should have learned to be a productive adult.

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
I remember My history and geography Class My god BOOOORING and in the AM after smoking a little go to school tabaccy I would stand in the back of the class to stay awake cause we always had exams coming then I would lift one leg raise both hands over my head the teacher would ask what are you doing ? Using there put me to sleep MONITONE voice!@!@! Im trying to stay awake ...After. holding this position for 10 minutes I would yell out who has scissors some one would say I do then I would say stab me with em so I could keep awake 10 mins later someone sock me in the face, another 10 minutes go by I got a bloody nose, my leg is bleeding from the scissor attack Im getting ready to blow ZZZZZZs some one light me on fire......The Monitone voice the Boooring subject was way worse than a paddle in my experiance

see ?
there is always an explanation
j/k

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I think Kray hit the nail squarely on the head with this statement: "Public schools function to provide the student with the BASIC tools needed.." with BASIC being the operative word. The only way to improve on that assessment is to add VERY in front of BASIC.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daggone it, history and geography were my favorites!! I went to a very highly rated high school and got a very good education I feel. These days I meet young folks with college educations and they cannot form proper sentences or spell, can't add a simple column of numbers in their heads, don't know when the war of 1812 was fought or any other history. I did attend Oklahoma University but my good high school education got me off to a good start. I think the modern ways of education in this country are failing what with automatic matriculation and worrying about hurting feelings too much. A lot of modern parents don't seem to push their kids to learn either. I think a lot of it boils down to the fact that those who wish to learn will learn, those that do not will not.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, I was in a Catholic school when the Nun gave me the edge of a ruler across the back of my hand. I was cured! 1947

I usually talked my way out of any corporal punishment - but I remember the nuns used their rulers. I still remember first day of kindergarten in 1959 when the ancient nun - the same one who taught kindergarten to my grandfather's class in 1900-01, pulled one student to the front of the class to a galvanized bucket of water and violently washed his mouth with a white bar of soap. We didn't know if it was something he said, or for speaking English - which was punishable at the time in this French school, or if he was randomly chosen as an example to terrorize the rest of us.

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
I went to school in Calif and then various countries in Europe (private schools)
a long time ago, but the differences were/are vast
I believe the US population is carefully inoculated to specifically maintain the ignorance.

edit: this will po a bunch
why are the parents not in revolt ?
I have long stated that parents who love their children do NOT send them to public schools (of indoctrination).

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in eighth grade circa 1959 when NY began to back away from corporal punishment. Previously to that time I had had my hand slapped with a leather strap in front of an assembled elementary school and hit with rulers on my behind. I had a particularly sadistic eighth grade science teacher who was known to break yardsticks across the rumps of unruly students. Word came down that teachers were no longer allowed to use corporal punishment on students and we all sighed in relief. This teacher was a smart bird, he simply appointed everyone in the class a "personal monitor" and when he thought somebody needed a whack he would simply call that person to the front of the class and then have that person's appointed "personal monitor" deliver the blows with the "board of education", a 1x3 about two feet long. This guy also knew who didn't like who in the class so your appointed personal monitor was always someone who didn't like you so as to ensure the whacks were not mitigated by friendships. I moved on to high school and never knew if he got censured for this system, but I doubt if he got away with it for much longer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread