Biography's from treasure hunters?

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Funny...I've wanted to start a thread about this myself regarding other possible biographies/autobiographies.

Karl never had a book about him that I'm aware of, might have made some itneresting reading particularly given his tendency to move around a lot. Ditto Hardrock Hammond, what research I've managed to do shows Hammond to be a singularly unique individual and his life would surely make a pretty good story.

One of the struggles with this sort of work is that many of these guys when they wrote, wove a lot of their own story into the advice they were giving. Long story short, they (treasure writers of KvMs ilk) tended to share biographical information woven into the fabric of treasure themed books.

A brief list of folks who had some pretty specific biographically-driven books:

Gene Ballinger: "Yes, the Sun Will Rise" Biography written I believe at Gene's specific request. Interestingly, this came out prior to his incarceration for murder (which was later overturned), so a great deal of his later life and contributions to treasure hunting were omitted. Gene was an on-again, off-again cohort of KvM and at one time even ran "Exanimo Great Lakes." Gene's biggest contribution is his newpapers, of which he wrote many...and wrote for many. Interesting book but very limited in scope and detail.

Apache Jim: "Apache Jim" Somewhat biographical, but really a collection of anecdotes from his own efforts to research and recover treasures, often with the help of his wife. Jim had a very down to earth style and presents this book as a collection of stories from his own files that were not recovered. The idea being he didn't have time to run them all down so he made them available to the public. Jim was, I believe, affiliated with the National Treasure Hunter's League and wrote a number of articles in their long-running periodical.

Hardrock Hendricks: "Travels of "Hardrock" Hendricks" I believe his wife either wrote or published this (or both), though its presented autobiographical. Have to confess, I own this but haven't yet read it. Hendricks was one of thee well known "Hardrocks" (the others being HR Hammond and HR Hume). You've likely seen photos of him. He was a common participant in the big treasure shows of the early 1970s and was often photographed wearing a top hat.

Frank Fish: Fish has the unique distinction of having three books, one by him bout his life, one by his friend about his life and death, and a final expose' on his death. Respetviely:
Fish, Frank L. Buried Treasure and Lost Mines Chino, Calif: Amador Pub. Co, 1961. Print.
*Schaefer, Lake E, and Frank L. Fish. Dead Men Do Tell Tales: Stories from the Diary of Frank L. Fish Chino, Calif: Amador, 1968. Print.
*Traywick, Ben T. Who Murdered Frank Fish? Tombstone, Ariz.: Red Marie's, 1993. Print.
The first two are fairly small and both are easy enough to come by. The Traywick book is pretty hard with only one library holding in the country that I'm aware of. The first two interweave Fish's personal history prior to treasure hunting and his life as a hunter.

"Hillbilly" Bob Brewer: "Shadow of the Sentinel" later repackaged and renamed as "Rebel Gold." Many might not remember (or have reason to), but Brewer's first sharing of information occurred right here on Treasurenet, when the old boards were simply great winding strings of threads that were largely unmoderated. Brewer's made a name for himself with the KGC, but a good portion of his book is also autobiographical in nature and reveals his early life, experiences, and exposure to the treasure hunting fraternity.

Steve Clark: "New Mexico Confidential: 30 Years of Snooping in Obscure Places"
Steve Clark (one of our Tnet own in fact) wrote this lengthy book about his own efforts to recover a treasure in the Southwest. It has a lot of his life story but perhaps it's best value to the reader is it's a hands down outstanding blueprint for researching a site and working it. You might have to read between the lines, but any serious Treasure Hunter should read it. Period.

I'm not familiar with the 1950s divers who would give way to the modern idea of "treasure hunters" (that is land-based). Many of these wrote quite a bit, whether they are biographical/autobiograhical in nature is beyond me. A few names immediately come to mind: Coffman, Rieseberg, Mahan...probably plenty I've overlooked. Ocean recovery is something I've never dived into as a researcher (pun completely intended).

I'm sure I've missed plenty, feel free to update the list as you see fit since Tnet won't let me go back and update later. A lot of newer books, but self-published ones, are on the market and are fantastic as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info can't wait to start reading.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What i hate the most about Charles dean miller was his building was burnt down and he asked people so send in pics of there finds. I wonder how much info we lost from that fire.

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
What i hate the most about Charles dean miller was his building was burnt down and he asked people so send in pics of there finds. I wonder how much info we lost from that fire.

My understanding is the fire was done to cover a burglary...at least that's what the rumor mill suggests. Good news is that some of that stuff may still be out there, somewhere.

Probably the biggest lost from a reader's point of view is Kar's unpublished manuscripts and personal library, my understanding is all these were lost. Karl spoke about many projects in various stages of completion...to say nothing of his personal effects that I'm assuming were lost as well...correspondence, photos, newspapers and newsletters.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to know the address he lived at so i could detect the area if im ever up that way i imagine many hunters hide stuff on there property. Sadly we'll probably never know who set the fire.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding is the fire was done to cover a burglary...at least that's what the rumor mill suggests. Good news is that some of that stuff may still be out there, somewhere.

Probably the biggest lost from a reader's point of view is Kar's unpublished manuscripts and personal library, my understanding is all these were lost. Karl spoke about many projects in various stages of completion...to say nothing of his personal effects that I'm assuming were lost as well...correspondence, photos, newspapers and newsletters.
Does he have any family still around that may publish or have they published anything since then. I know i read somewhere on here someone had some letters but didn't want to post because some people may be offended but I'm hoping they post something sometime somewhere.

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Does he have any family still around that may publish or have they published anything since then. I know i read somewhere on here someone had some letters but didn't want to post because some people may be offended but I'm hoping they post something sometime somewhere.

His daughter was alive a few years back when I contacted her to get her approval to do the NPG book printings that I've been working on. I know Karl's wife passed on.

Funny story I heard one time about his store (since you mentioned him hiding stuff on his property). Word was he had a rash of people trying to search the area around the Exanimo Establishment with metal detectors. Finally someone revealed that they believe the LUE map stood for "Look Under Exanimo).

I think a lot of folks have personal correspondence with Karl...he was a voracious writer, both professional and personal. The list of folks that communicated with him, knew him, did business with him...that's a list that gets smaller every year I'm afraid.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
His daughter was alive a few years back when I contacted her to get her approval to do the NPG book printings that I've been working on. I know Karl's wife passed on.

Funny story I heard one time about his store (since you mentioned him hiding stuff on his property). Word was he had a rash of people trying to search the area around the Exanimo Establishment with metal detectors. Finally someone revealed that they believe the LUE map stood for "Look Under Exanimo).

I think a lot of folks have personal correspondence with Karl...he was a voracious writer, both professional and personal. The list of folks that communicated with him, knew him, did business with him...that's a list that gets smaller every year I'm afraid.
Wouldn't be surprised if he moved to that ghost town because it might be near the lue.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also what happened to everyone mentioned in this thread? Any still around or are they all gone now?

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Hope at the end you thought of mine (self published), currently putting the Novice To Gold Coin book up in general discussion section. For those with low end detectors.
I didn't realize this name was attached to your real one. :) Can always add to the biography list...need to check my books for the guy that made the gold bar recovery down in Arizona...his was an interesting read as well.

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
What about Montana Larry Combell?

He never wrote more than couple of NPG articles that I'm aware of...pretty sure he spent much more time in the field than he ever did in an office behind a typewriter. He's deceased but I've swapped some messages with one of his former neighbors.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larry came from Connecticut, I was a friend of a friend. I know that he was a good treasure hunter, but, not a good father to all those he left behind with their mothers. Walt went out west with him and friends and he just left them all behind and was friends with Karl and others. Let him rot in Hell for not supported his kids. I never met him and he never left any good Connecticut leads behind but I did find some on my own.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread