Finding caches in old trees? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Finding caches in old trees?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Looking for loose change is not challenging enough

Jan 2020
    West Texas
    Garret 300, And my eyes
    20 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have heard stories an old Mexican superstition, that when the family was sick, or if one of them was "crazy". they believed it was evil spirits. so they would bury silver outside of the house usually at the base of a tree to attract the spirit, to leave them alone. I have not found proof of this, but we are going to Sanderson Tx this weekend to do some detecting. LOTS of old houses in that area!
    AARC, gold chick, wilcam47 and 3 others like this.

Although I have never found a cache in or near a tree, I always detect around large tree's and have made some very nice "single item" finds. Old coins, jewelry, and sterling kitchen utensils from picnickers are some of the usual.
    AARC, gold chick, wilcam47 and 5 others like this.

us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
    8170 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    In some areas I detect the tree trunk itself to locate bullets. I tried but can't find the source yet, but there was a story about road workers cutting down a cottonwood tree near Lawton OK and discovering gold coins stashed in a hollow inside of it.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    41990 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Ive found tons of coins and jewelry around trees where people sit . Good place to check I think if I hid tresure gold coins money I would hide in in a spot I could see from my house so trees by an old home site yep or even fence posts The spanish would cut a round hole in a rock a plug and hide treasure anywhere you could hide it and remember where would be good I locate old homes sites from long ago by trees usually you can find one or two trees that seem out of place like maple trees where there is only one or two that a home owner planted long ago and grew.
    Still Available Approved TreasureNet Sticker $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy.................... Put it on my Trans Am FREE SHIPPING Street Racing My Trans Am W/Tnet Stick

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    41990 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I have detected holes in trees before
    Still Available Approved TreasureNet Sticker $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy.................... Put it on my Trans Am FREE SHIPPING Street Racing My Trans Am W/Tnet Stick

us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    any tector i can get my hands on
    2427 times
    not as of yet ! but i'm not lucky either. i need a good luck charm
    A2coins, Hobbs., SD51 and 2 others like this.

us
    Dec 2016
    Vermont
    Bandido umax
    330 times
    Think it was on this site that someone found a bunch of Mercs hidden in s hollow limb of a tree. Tre had fallen and got a bunch of hits around it. If I remember right he pick up a piece limb to move it and he could hear coins rattling in it.
    wilcam47, A2coins, Hobbs. and 3 others like this.

us
    Dec 2019
    Idaho
    303 times
    interesting...that old abandoned homestead I found had a couple apple trees behind it. they arent native to the area but do survive if planted. I did find a shovel head next to one of the apple trees....HMM I definitely have to hit the apple trees up with my detector....
    A2coins, Hobbs., SD51 and 3 others like this.

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    5247 times
    Metal Detecting
    I detect trees all the time. Right before I put them in my sawmill. All I've ever found is nails, bolts, and bullets. Gary
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07916.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	1789160
    AARC, SD51, gold chick and 2 others like this.

us
    Martiobarbuli

May 2012
    Wyoming
    White's
    2059 times
    My grandfather claimed that as a kid in the late '30s (91 and sharp as a tack today) he was climbing a big ancient graveyard tree in his NY state town and spied a hole/hollow up in the trunk from a rotted-out branch. He says that he poked around inside and pulled out the remains of a leather sack with a few dozen spanish milled dollars and what was left of a strand of pearls after the string disintegrated sometime during the prior century. If it was a true story the evidence was long gone and sold-off by the time he related it it me.

He also mentioned some railroad cuts he used to romp around which crossed Revolutionary War battlefields and how he could fill his pockets with eroded-out canister shot and musket balls. That at least sounds like a lead definitely worth following up on.
    SanMan and gold chick like this.

us
    Dec 2013
    Central Oregon
    Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
    146 times
    Prospecting
    I have heard tales of gold stashed in trees. One was of gold in a 100 foot plus pine in a state park. Well, couldn't go chopping on that tree, so forgot about it until the park burnt up. Went and metal detected the downed tree- nada.

I was asked to remove a tree in a city park, old tree with a natural hole in the middle. Checked it real close as I cut it up into firewood, just lots of trash. Around a homestead I definitely am checking it out, public place I don't think I would stash anything there. Unless of course what is now public used to be a mining camp ect....
    gold chick likes this.

us
    Apr 2012
    West Coast
    AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
    4989 times
    I "Never" miss the base and area around trees.

Coins, keys,..... things find they're way there.
    gold chick likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Northern Virginia
    AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500,Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
    6077 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I too always hunt around the base of trees, around big stumps, in the depressions and root balls of fallen tress, I have never found anything amazing but that doesn't stop me from looking. But I will throw something out there and that is the cache. We talk about it a lot, we dream of them and sometimes you read about one but they seem to be rarer than a blue narwhal! Do we not see posts about them because people are afraid that they will lose it say in a legal action?
    gold chick likes this.

us
    Oct 2018
    Mercer County, PA
    Garrett AT Max
    184 times
    Wasn't there something about this in To Kill A Mockingbird?

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2910 times
    Crotch of a tree equals a great place to hang your coat or jacket allowing things in the pockets to spill unnoticed. That plus people roiling around under them & the climbers make an excellent spot to hunt. One of the first things I look for in parks is anyplace kids can get upside down. Trees, swings, jungle gyms, etc. Trees further out are where the lovers hang out, out of sight. By swimming holes where do you hang your clothes when changing? Now you got it!!!!
    gold chick likes this.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links