Finding caches in old trees?

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think it was on this site that someone found a bunch of Mercs hidden in s hollow limb of a tree. Tre had fallen and got a bunch of hits around it. If I remember right he pick up a piece limb to move it and he could hear coins rattling in it.

wilcam47

Dec 29, 2019
Idaho
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting...that old abandoned homestead I found had a couple apple trees behind it. they arent native to the area but do survive if planted. I did find a shovel head next to one of the apple trees....HMM I definitely have to hit the apple trees up with my detector....

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I detect trees all the time. Right before I put them in my sawmill. All I've ever found is nails, bolts, and bullets. Gary
DSC07916.JPG

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather claimed that as a kid in the late '30s (91 and sharp as a tack today) he was climbing a big ancient graveyard tree in his NY state town and spied a hole/hollow up in the trunk from a rotted-out branch. He says that he poked around inside and pulled out the remains of a leather sack with a few dozen spanish milled dollars and what was left of a strand of pearls after the string disintegrated sometime during the prior century. If it was a true story the evidence was long gone and sold-off by the time he related it it me.

He also mentioned some railroad cuts he used to romp around which crossed Revolutionary War battlefields and how he could fill his pockets with eroded-out canister shot and musket balls. That at least sounds like a lead definitely worth following up on.

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have heard tales of gold stashed in trees. One was of gold in a 100 foot plus pine in a state park. Well, couldn't go chopping on that tree, so forgot about it until the park burnt up. Went and metal detected the downed tree- nada.

I was asked to remove a tree in a city park, old tree with a natural hole in the middle. Checked it real close as I cut it up into firewood, just lots of trash. Around a homestead I definitely am checking it out, public place I don't think I would stash anything there. Unless of course what is now public used to be a mining camp ect....

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I "Never" miss the base and area around trees.

Coins, keys,..... things find they're way there.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too always hunt around the base of trees, around big stumps, in the depressions and root balls of fallen tress, I have never found anything amazing but that doesn't stop me from looking. But I will throw something out there and that is the cache. We talk about it a lot, we dream of them and sometimes you read about one but they seem to be rarer than a blue narwhal! Do we not see posts about them because people are afraid that they will lose it say in a legal action?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crotch of a tree equals a great place to hang your coat or jacket allowing things in the pockets to spill unnoticed. That plus people roiling around under them & the climbers make an excellent spot to hunt. One of the first things I look for in parks is anyplace kids can get upside down. Trees, swings, jungle gyms, etc. Trees further out are where the lovers hang out, out of sight. By swimming holes where do you hang your clothes when changing? Now you got it!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions