SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes sense but I haven't been that lucky. Still waiting for my first cache after over 40 years of detecting. Have heard that caches can be buried under bushes too so if you see a bush that looks out of place, grab the shovel.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am guilty of throwing chunks of iron that are too big to carry out of the woods into tree stumps . seems like a good place to store them ..
I've never found treasure in a tree or under a blow over. but have found civil war bullets lodges in fire wood.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One should ALWAYS detect trees... larger the tree ... the better for the older it is.

I will also throw this tip...

Any large old trees that have remnants of a rope swing or that look like they would be inviting to climb or sit on low branches... DETECT hard.
will almost guarantee you find at least change.

I have been detecting trees for eons and always will.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While most of those "stories" are pure fiction, its certainly possible. BUT you have to consider the age of the trees you are looking at. Any tree big enough to hide something INSIDE of would have been completely mature and likely already starting to die at the time of its hiding. Young, healthy trees dont have large cavities in the trunks you could hide something in. So, are those trees still standing today? How old are the trees you are looking at?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People have been using tree bases to hide things for millennia.

Fact.

Largest gold coin hoard in U.S. was found under tree that roots had pushed up.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One should ALWAYS detect trees... larger the tree ... the better for the older it is.

I will also throw this tip...

Any large old trees that have remnants of a rope swing or that look like they would be inviting to climb or sit on low branches... DETECT hard.
will almost guarantee you find at least change.

I have been detecting trees for eons and always will.

Agree with AARC... My first Walker Half was under the limbs of a large pine tree at a school. I figured at one time the tree was much smaller and kids probably ran around it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once years ago... I was detecting an area... found noting... worked my way over to a tree I had spied as a stop point...

Soon as I got to the low branches... I was a digging fool.

Along with 2 other people on different sides.

Was a field day.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always keep in mind that people will sit under a large tree because of the shade it provides from the sun. Coins fall out of pockets when they do that. Once found a silver coin spill under a tree.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In fact... when I detect ANYWHERE non beaches...

I look for the biggest trees and work my way toward them.

Like I said... the larger the tree... the longer its been there.

I have found more great stuff under a tree than I have in fields or anywhere else.

My best axe head was laying at the base of a tree... 3 inches down.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
change is the biggest thing.

Anyone who does not believe it... has never detected. :P

Trees anyway. :)

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ran into a fellow detectorist who had found a solid sterling silver purse full of ~1900s coins in a tree on a play ground. I always scan trees and have spent many an hour wrestling chunks of cast iron and such from their greedy roots.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After the hurricane Irma a few large trees blew over when looking around I found my first large black glass bottle in the hole that the tree left

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might also look for indentations in the ground where LARGE stumps may have been removed. I always check around indentations in the ground. Where trees may have been is places people may have BEEN !! This ALSO INCLUDES BLVD's and Tree Lawns also

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone remember - ring around the rosie ----lots of playing around trees in the old days before tv----- ring-rosie-group-children-two-adults-holding-hands-dance-around-trunk-tree-57219074 rosie.jpg

WestTexasHunter

Greenie
Jan 7, 2020
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garret 300, And my eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard stories an old Mexican superstition, that when the family was sick, or if one of them was "crazy". they believed it was evil spirits. so they would bury silver outside of the house usually at the base of a tree to attract the spirit, to leave them alone. I have not found proof of this, but we are going to Sanderson Tx this weekend to do some detecting. LOTS of old houses in that area!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I have never found a cache in or near a tree, I always detect around large tree's and have made some very nice "single item" finds. Old coins, jewelry, and sterling kitchen utensils from picnickers are some of the usual.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In some areas I detect the tree trunk itself to locate bullets. I tried but can't find the source yet, but there was a story about road workers cutting down a cottonwood tree near Lawton OK and discovering gold coins stashed in a hollow inside of it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found tons of coins and jewelry around trees where people sit . Good place to check I think if I hid tresure gold coins money I would hide in in a spot I could see from my house so trees by an old home site yep or even fence posts The spanish would cut a round hole in a rock a plug and hide treasure anywhere you could hide it and remember where would be good I locate old homes sites from long ago by trees usually you can find one or two trees that seem out of place like maple trees where there is only one or two that a home owner planted long ago and grew.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have detected holes in trees before

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread