PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must have been one hell of a bender to forget where they buried 150 oz of silver.

Or it's not their's and they are relying on some inside info about general location.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , Silver has a low valve why would you bother digging a 4 foot hole anyway. ? TP

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not chance in hell the CTX is going to see that. If it was in a metal box, maybe. individual coins, no way. PI is your best hope, but I have doubts that will hit them either. Most people assume they will react as a single target but they dont.

My pulse will hit larger targets at three feet no problem with 7. 5 coil.

PULSE 8X - 1gallon can...2-3 foot... Larger targets to a max ... 6 feet

Attaching skid... heh... BIG targets like cannon... woo hoo. talking deep baby.

What now ? :P

You did not think I used toys did ya ?

PS...

Pulse skid is an 8 by 48 inch coil has the largest detection area of all the coils...

large targets... the detection envelope extends four feet to either side of the coil (12 foot total width) and a minimum of 8 feet below the coil.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry ! imo Will sound as Good as A Necklace a Foot deep.

The detector will Pick out the Link, or in this case The Coin Closest to the Coil.

But at that Depth , Highly Unlikely.

in the Past I Have found one Cache & Several Muti-Coin Drops.
Not a Single one sounded worth Digging.

If it were a Mason Jar Standing up, Maybe . But not if the Only Metal is a Silver Dollar Size Coins.

Honestly , Don't Laugh, I'm not Joking.

imo you got one Choice That may Work.
a Person who is Proficient with Dowsing Rods .

Yes ! It's sort of Like saying "pray" :laughing9: But Dowsing is Unexplained fully to this Day.
So :dontknow: I Can't Honestly say Dowsing Rods in the Right Hands Won't Work.

But I am confident on my Opinion of any Detector

Last edited:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Because ... burying something is really the instinctual safe keeping measure for those who really want to keep something safe.

"Time capsule" has nothing to do with it IMO.

As we speak... somewhere in the world ... someone is burying something somewhere.

I know of a guy who lives in Hawaii.
He feels the same, bury it, it'll be safe.. that was prior to that last volcanic eruption which deposited ten feet of lava where his house and booty is buried! Ouch!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My pulse will hit larger targets at three feet no problem with 7. 5 coil.

PULSE 8X - 1gallon can...2-3 foot... Larger targets to a max ... 6 feet

Attaching skid... heh... BIG targets like cannon... woo hoo. talking deep baby.

What now ? :P

You did not think I used toys did ya ?

PS...

Pulse skid is an 8 by 48 inch coil has the largest detection area of all the coils...

large targets... the detection envelope extends four feet to either side of the coil (12 foot total width) and a minimum of 8 feet below the coil.

But you are falling into the false assumption that a pile of coins is = a large metal object. A paint can would be 1000X more detectable than a grouping of coins in a non-metal container.

edit to add - the problem isnt the power going into the ground, its the power coming back. A paint can is large. It takes a large amount of radio energy and re-emits it back to the coil. That large energy can travel through a thicker amount of soil without being dissipated. A pile of coins can be energized by the PI, but they are individual and can only be charged and re-emit a single coin amount of energy back. That small amount of energy is getting absorbed by the soil before it can make it back to the coil to be "seen". thats why it doesn work.

Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He must have been very determined to bury them deep, every hole I've dug in sand gets very large due to the sides caving in...sounds suspicious....unless he had equipment.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
He must have been very determined to bury them deep, every hole I've dug in sand gets very large due to the sides caving in...sounds suspicious....unless he had equipment.

Hmmmm... You mean sorta like a Snipe Hunt? “A snipe hunt is a type of practical joke or fool's errand, in existence in North America as early as the 1840s, in which an unsuspecting newcomer is duped into trying to catch a non-existent animal called a snipe. While snipe are actual birds, a snipe hunt is a quest for an imaginary creature whose description varies:hello: Just kidding of course..

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANOTHER QUESTIONS why would anyone bury SOMETHING IN A cardboard box ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANOTHER QUESTIONS why would anyone bury SOMETHING IN A cardboard box ?

a Child Would. a Thief Would, if they Felt it had to be done Now !
due to someone catching them, But wouldn't take the time to dig 3 - 4 Feet.

a Person with the Capacity to think would use something Metal or Glass,
Maybe even Plastic. and
close to the proper size.

Wood ? Hard to say. depends on their Education Level & Intent
of how long they expect to leave it I Guess

I Can imagine some teenager Burying a small wooden Jewelry Box
not realizing wood rots

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But you are falling into the false assumption that a pile of coins is = a large metal object. A paint can would be 1000X more detectable than a grouping of coins in a non-metal container.

edit to add - the problem isnt the power going into the ground, its the power coming back. A paint can is large. It takes a large amount of radio energy and re-emits it back to the coil. That large energy can travel through a thicker amount of soil without being dissipated. A pile of coins can be energized by the PI, but they are individual and can only be charged and re-emit a single coin amount of energy back. That small amount of energy is getting absorbed by the soil before it can make it back to the coil to be "seen". thats why it doesn work.

lol... yep... with a CTX I can imagine that being true.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TRUST ME...

My 8x on that property... WILL find ANYTHING buried by man or otherwise.

No problem.

Box detectors don't hit on what my 8x easily sees...

I bought a Whites 808 once... and sold it because it could not compete.

PS...

You are comparing a "hobby" detector to a commercial detector here.

heh

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A clean/easy way to bury something fairly deep is to use an auger.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A clean/easy way to bury something fairly deep is to use an auger.

AARC, location is Clewiston, Fl. If you would like I can put you in touch with the person. He had one other metal detectorist come out, the person had a CTX3030 and a GPX5000. I don't know any more details about that. But I was hesitant to go out, since I am about an hour away and I just have a CTX3030, Excal, AT Pro........nothing that is drastically different than the technology already attempted. Trying a PI since like that would be worth it, but I don't own one. The person says they will do all the digging, just needs it located and is willing to pay a finders fee.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have good feelings that you WILL find it...!
The larger the target, the deeper you will reach,
a BUNCH of LARGE Silver coins will talk to you...........!
GL+HH

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC, location is Clewiston, Fl. If you would like I can put you in touch with the person. He had one other metal detectorist come out, the person had a CTX3030 and a GPX5000. I don't know any more details about that. But I was hesitant to go out, since I am about an hour away and I just have a CTX3030, Excal, AT Pro........nothing that is drastically different than the technology already attempted. Trying a PI since like that would be worth it, but I don't own one. The person says they will do all the digging, just needs it located and is willing to pay a finders fee.

How "sure" is this person on the reality of something being there ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steel rod probe to start.

Thisis the easiest way for the person to do it themselves... sharpen a four foot rod... make a handle on other end.... and start poking.

If in fact it is just sugar sand.... would be a breeze.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sugar sand is the reason for depth. You can dig it real easy but it moves real easy too. In my area, and I'm north of the reported area some, about 3 to 4 feet down you start hitting different soil. If you left it 1 ft deep, a couple of good storms forcing water across the area could expose it. And depending on the immediate area where it's buried, if there is nothing but sugar sand, the chances of having an accurate point of reference could be iffy. We don't have rocks like other places do. Many of the larger varieties of trees won't grow well in sugar sand. Unless there is something permanent enough to last a while you don't have much to triangulate with. Try taking a heading on a pine tree when everywhere you look, that's all you see..same for palmettos. I also find it hard to believe nobody thought of having some reference to go by on the return. If they can get you close, I'd take off about a foot and then start shaving the sand off making it smooth with a flat shovel. If you get to an area that has been excavated, the edge of the pit or hole will show up and you can follow the wall to the bottom. Our sand is really white but there is enough other materials that will form a line where the original ground was disturbed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions