150 1oz silver coins 3-4ft deep

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been approached to help someone. They buried 150 1oz silver coins, in a baseball card box, about 3-4ft deep in sugar sand on their property. Any chance my CTX3030 could get any blip on that at all? I have the standard and 14” coils. I am thinking even with that much concentrated silver, it may be out of reach.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if they know where they buried them, start diggin'. If they only have an idea where they buried them dig one foot deep check with CTX, continue until found.

good luck and post pix when you find them.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All metal / pinpoint mode.

Work it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would rent a front end loader and start moving some dirt around I dont see your detector hitting that deep no matter how big the target

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I would hope the CTX3030 could hit 150 oz's of silver at 3-4 feet. Even broke up into 150 pieces I think you should get a signal. Might even be able to just probe around easily in that sugar sand and feel it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground penetrating radar

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 feet, is incredibly deep for a metal detector!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Try probing the area first with this iron stakes. A box detector should do the job with ease, if you have access to one. I highly doubt any detector will recover a target 3+ feet, but I hope you prove me wrong.

Good Luck! :icon_thumleft:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good pulse induction with a 18" coil should be easy.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good pulse induction with a 18" coil should be easy.

Yep.

My JW 8X with even 7.5 inch should nail it no problem... and if it didn't... switch coil and nothing would escape it.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been approached to help someone. They buried 150 1oz silver coins, in a baseball card box, about 3-4ft deep in sugar sand on their property. Any chance my CTX3030 could get any blip on that at all? I have the standard and 14” coils. I am thinking even with that much concentrated silver, it may be out of reach.

When and why did they bury it? Seems like a lot to bury as a time capsule.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When and why did they bury it? Seems like a lot to bury as a time capsule.

Because ... burying something is really the instinctual safe keeping measure for those who really want to keep something safe.

"Time capsule" has nothing to do with it IMO.

As we speak... somewhere in the world ... someone is burying something somewhere.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think the CTX is going to see that, the field just isn’t large enough. When you start piling a bunch of silver together the signal gets WORSE, so you wouldn’t know if you’re actually detecting a mass of silver or a sewer pipe. Now if you got 2 feet of sand out of the way and because it is sand, you might then have a chance of actually locating something, but still a tall task for something that is calibrated to coin sized items.
What is with all of the people having treasure under their houses lately??:laughing7:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Because ... burying something is really the instinctual safe keeping measure for those who really want to keep something safe.

"Time capsule" has nothing to do with it IMO.

As we speak... somewhere in the world ... someone is burying something somewhere.

That may well be true, but the OP stated that, "I have been approached to help someone. They buried 150 1oz silver coins" which indicates to me that unless theses people are walking fossils and buried them as a child (which would seem unlikely to me) the burial would be of relatively recent history. I don't know about you, but I would damn sure remember where I buried that amount of anything...especially silver rounds. It's not that I am questioning the story, but would love to hear more about it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That may well be true, but the OP stated that, "I have been approached to help someone. They buried 150 1oz silver coins" which indicates to me that unless theses people are walking fossils and buried them as a child (which would seem unlikely to me) the burial would be of relatively recent history. I don't know about you, but I would damn sure remember where I buried that amount of anything...especially silver rounds. It's not that I am questioning the story, but would love to hear more about it.

Agreed.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AND... I damn sure would find it. heh

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also think the 3030 would hit that easily. If not a Whites TM808 would. If you need one let me know and keep us posted, You could also buy 20 rolls of half dollars put then in a box air test them. After the air test Check them for silver and then turn back in!!!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it interesting that the person who buried this , doesn't know right where he buried the cache - also if he buried it on his own private property , was there any good reason to go three or four feet down ? when a foot should have been sufficient .I think some kind of earthmoving machinery ( small front loader) should be brought in . I don't think hand held metal detectors are the answer - more like ground penetrating radar - the sort of devises that are on 4 wheels, rolled over the terrain - showing disrepancies in the soil density several feet down .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread