SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have only found one silver dollar and not many more silver halves, but the best advise I can give you on finding silver coins is to get permissions at older homes or property that haven't been searched before.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't found any in MANY years. most all the silver I've found was a schools . the last time I hunted a school the cops were there within 15 mins . I now only hunt the woods so I don't have to deal with the law.

just hunt where people gather , it's not hard at all to think of those places. parks , swimming holes , carnival grounds, churches, waysides , lovers lanes. the beach. playgrounds. if you put in the time and dig lots of targets you may get lucky with the big silver you seek.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 32 Half Dollars. Most came from wooded Forest preserves and a handful came from yards. The 3 Morgan Dollars I found have all been found in farmers fields. 6 Eisenhower Dollar coins all came from yards. Best advice, is to do research and hunt in the old areas that were once used by people.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still looking for one so if you figure it out let me know:BangHead:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You do understand that when you ask for a consultation with a "Pro"; that is their profession and payment is implied. ;-)

From a strictly amateur source - I have found Franklin and Kennedy halves at parks where there were church picnics (may be coincidence). The few dollar coins I have found are modern clad and were in a park that hosts summer fairs and carnivals. I don't think past residents in this area were big on carrying dollar coins.

Found a nice Barber half in the back of a desk where it had fallen behind a drawer (I am guessing).

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only found 2 silver dollars, both in public park spaces that have hunted very hard before I ever got there. Silver halves are no different than any other coin, some private yards, some curb strips, some parks. The best bet for any kind of silver is private yards. You have a far lower chance of hunting behind someone else, but dont ever assume that just because its a private yard that nobody has hunted it during the last 60 years that this hobby has existed.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found 8 silver dollars in the woods were there was cattle once and now city park.
And 8 or more halves seated liberty,barber and walking liberty in the same woods.
One silver dollar on the edge of a ditch near the mail box.
And a few half dollars on mowed areas of a park.
If you have a woods connecting to a park or near town would be good places to detect.
Side hills facing west are good. I never found coins on the east sides.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I found 4 silver half’s last year, 3 walkers and a barber, all but one in over grown, long forgotten city parks, place that were once popular gathering areas and now just woods. The other one was found on Hampton beach NH about 9” down at a popular spot to watch fireworks. Just the other day the guy I was digging with popped out a 1957 Franklin out of the middle of the woods, I think it’s a crap shoot, it’ll come up when you least expect it. Good luck

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
I know a lot of good detectorists, i know others that are just plain lucky, I have never met a pro, so those of you that consider yourselves pros please reply.You can walk behind anyone and find something they missed. I could be the worst around but i still find stuff HH JIM

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
School yards where teachers would gather at recess. Football fields where bleachers are or were. I’ve had more luck where they were. Church softball fields is a great place. City picnic grounds if your city permits detecting. Ask your local VFW lodge if you can detect. Soccer fields around the field not on it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost all of mine came from a cache of silvers I found in a busted old jelly jar a few years ago. Lying around, not so much, if any, if I remember.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one silver dollar (so far). . . in the parkway in front of a early 1950’s house.
As far as half dollars, maybe a half dozen in adjacent parks around churches

Best advice I can give you, dig ALL the can-lid targets. After digging two can lids in my silver dollar parkway, I was about to pass up on the 3rd “can lid” target. . . I’m glad I didn’t, it turned out to be a 1922 Peace Dollar.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , Newbies think we owe them something for some reason ? TP

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know a lot of good detectorists, i know others that are just plain lucky, I have never met a pro, so those of you that consider yourselves pros please reply.You can walk behind anyone and find something they missed. I could be the worst around but i still find stuff HH JIM
I am not be a professional but it takes one to beat me.:laughing7:
An other good place is around old quarries.
I know a lot of you might not stay in the same place detecting for hours or days but it will pay off so keep at it.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By far most of my halves & dollar coins have been found in buildings hidden in walls etc. halves & dollars found in the ground, I can count on my fingers, in buildings? Whole different story.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hills hills hills most of my coin spills and rings

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in the water - mostly at old salt water beaches - have found close to 50
found around 20 on land - old parks and schools

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try and find them all - there are around 50 in here and 2 morgan dollars
these are from last 25 yrs - first 20 yrs are all gone (was divorced twice)
DSC  00076.jpg DSC00079.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread