OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detectors have gotten so much more affordable than when I was a kid, also tons of youtubers and shows have helped its popularity. I think huge finds like the Staffordshire hoard and many others discovered by detectorists keep the hobby in the spotlight.

Yes Sir .
In some cases I've seen great machines going for half of what they retailed for just 10 years ago.

My 1st 'Real' machine was a Whites Classic 3 ( No Screen) 1997 I paid $375. Heck I paid 400 for mt AT-Pro 2 years ago .
Thanks for your reply

GO DOGS .....Next Year.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it may have a lot to do with you location. Here in Chattanooga so much of the civil war sites are now under concrete or buildings. Our club dropped so low in attendance that we closed it down last year. So many of those who detected for artifacts are gone. We do have young ones coming up, but not anywhere near as many as twenty years ago.

Sorry bout yr club . ( i wondered why I stopped seeing ads for it ) , True the OG Diggers are starting to get older .

My Club is nice but I don't go to meetings hardly anymore , just to many 'Clicks' with nobody really trusting anyone outside their small circle.

Cause like in Chattanooga most sites here were built on in the 80's-2010.

P.S. In my club there are new members all the time but most disappear within a few years.

Also , Ethics , I never put down somebody's finds even , Hot Wheels , or common farm iron, but (tho it may be me ) unless you get a plate , Nice Confederate Buttons or less common relics you barely get a "Good Job " if that .
+ the main thing is they quit giving out prizes for find of the month , 3 years ago.

BUT , my nicest plates came from club raffles & club Hunts ; This is why i'm still a member. FWIW
GD duggap , hey Suk Creek is a decent place to hunt up there right ? LOL

I do know people that live down in that holler .

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say there are probably more now but I wasn't even "around" in metal detecting 5 years ago! I think it's always going to be one of those things that people buy with big dreams and quickly give up on when they realize how hard it is. I can't even imagine the success people must have had in the early days.

A BIG LIKE!!!!

I'd freak to get to detect in the NE as a flat button would make for a successful day.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely yes!

Now, I would like to know the amount of people that quit the hobby after 6 months or less.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m throwing a big “Yes” into the pot. In the 70’s I’d see maybe one or two guys on the beach separated by months.
Now I see one or two every time I go detecting. Still it could be the timing. Low tide and all may be great for metal detecting but not for surfing for example.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread