.44 mag wonders - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree192Likes

Thread: .44 mag wonders

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    2463 times
    Prospecting
    I have a s&w model 29 44 mag, Dirty Harry style with 6 inch barrel.
    It's my go to woods and camping gun. I always thought 44s would be crazy to shoot but it's very smooth and controllable.
    People are always shocked when they shoot 44s that they arent what was expected. They are nice and accurate pistols.
    My wife's 357 and my 45 acp kicks harder.

us
    May 2019
    Flawda
    Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    2606 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Before I quit hunting, I used my Ruger carbine in 44 mag. Does an excellent job as a brush gun.

us
    Feb 2013
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Minelab Equinox 800
    1245 times
    If you a hand-loader you can load the 44 Magnum from mild to wild. It's a very versatile cartridge, and capable of taking everything from mice to moose when properly loaded.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    23697 times
    Parted with a .44 Mag. and went to .357.
    Now a .44 Mag. Blackhawk found it's way home...

A versatile round.
    civilman1, SanMan, Simon1 and 2 others like this.

us
    Nov 2019
    Big Spring Texas
    Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT max
    402 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Love it for hunting, I use a Ruger Super red hawk 8-3/8 inch for white tail deer.

us
    A very young old man

Aug 2005
    Beautiful Florida
    2280 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon1 View Post
    , I have been fortunate and not needed it, BUT, it is nice to know it's there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddsPoint View Post
    I have a S & W 629 6" .44 Mag. It's a handful. Full house loads are difficult to control. Not for sissies. I like shooting .44 SPCL rounds in mine. That seems to be about right for me. It will knock down bowling pins at 100 yds. Gary
    If you can hit a bowling pin at 100 yard's with a pistol remind me to stay on your good side! I will always spring for the beer! I carry a S&W
    M&P in 9mm. I conceal carry and used to use a .380. A sheriff I knew told me to switch to a 9. I try to go to the range frequently to stay sharp. I travel a lot inside Florida for work and would not want to be without my firearm. Florida attracts a lot of people and a fair amount of them are quite undesirable. Our county sheriff has a video on the Sheriffs website encouraging all of his law abiding citizens to get a CC permit and carry 100%. He basically said what we all know, that when seconds count the police are minutes away.

us
    CS IS NEXT

Nov 2005
    PA-MD
    Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
    1674 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by newnan man View Post
    If you can hit a bowling pin at 100 yard's with a pistol remind me to stay on your good side! I will always spring for the beer! I carry a S&W
    M&P in 9mm. I conceal carry and used to use a .380. A sheriff I knew told me to switch to a 9. I try to go to the range frequently to stay sharp. I travel a lot inside Florida for work and would not want to be without my firearm. Florida attracts a lot of people and a fair amount of them are quite undesirable. Our county sheriff has a video on the Sheriffs website encouraging all of his law abiding citizens to get a CC permit and carry 100%. He basically said what we all know, that when seconds count the police are minutes away.
    Amen on the upgrade Mr. Newnan,save the .380's for the kitchen cabinets and desk drawers. I think everybody in this great country should carry.I like your Sheriff!!
    SanMan, Simon1, dieselfool and 4 others like this.

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    13537 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by newnan man View Post
    9mm S&W M&P Shield for me as well for EDC. I put MagGuts +2 followers and baseplates on several magazines so the compact one in the pistol is 9 rounds plus one in the chamber and the spare "extended" magazine I carry holds 10. NYS only allows a 10 round magazine anyway, so this was the smallest way I could carry the most of 9mm; which I also consider the smallest "capable" self-defense round. Speer Gold Dots or Federal HST bullets are far advanced of the WWII era FMJ for shock and disabling energy release.

I used to sign the paychecks of 180 policemen & women (actually a digitized template of my signature) and two of the SWAT officers also ran a self-defense shooting school/Concealed Carry Course that I attended. They also did not support any pistol that wasn't at least 9mm x 19mm and was too small to allow all of your fingers on the grip. For the shooting portion of the course I used my Colt Officer's .45 ACP and they gave it the hairy eyeball because it either has to be carried cooked and the safety on or you have to manually cock the hammer; but I shot myself proud on the silhouettes (I used to shoot PPC with a S&W M-14 .38 Spl revolver). The only complaint I have with that Colt is weight. Loaded it weighs twice what the Shield does and holds three less rounds.
    SanMan, Simon1, dieselfool and 3 others like this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    41225 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Sig 9mm 13 round clip
    SanMan, Simon1, dieselfool and 4 others like this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2012
    West Coast
    AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
    4981 times
    I have plenty of past experience with the .44 mag, both shooting and reloading.

Stiff loads got to making my elbow sore after only a few rounds.
    That's when shooting usually a Ruger blackhawk or Super Blackhawk.
    I had a custom Super Blackhawk that I had Mag-na-ported, that made a difference.

What helps most, when shooting stiff loads,.... a heavier unit.

I owned a couple of Dan Wessons over the years, one being a stainless frame
    with a couple of barrels and shrouds.

One barrel was ported, the other plain.
    6" and an 8".

The greater weight made a huge difference in felt recoil.

I never bought a "G-Watch", I just stopped shooting hot loads.

I have an absolute blast chasing golf balls around the desert with a Ruger Mk I

That's the nice thing about reloading, you can tailor loads for performance or practice.

And it used to be on a budget, I don't know about the cost now a days.

Seems like everything is expensive.
    T.C., civilman1, Simon1 and 2 others like this.

Dec 2012
    120 times
    I am truly surprised and very pleased that so many on here are knowledgeable and responsible gun owners.
    To get back to the original question, the .44 Magnum is a very popular cartridge with more power than necessary for many purposes. My only .44 Mag. these days is a 1980 Ruger Super Blackhawk I bought new. It has over 10000 full power rounds through it, all for fun. If I want to shoot .44 Specials, I use a Colt SAA from 1981. I have collected guns and ammo since 1965. Never have found a gun with a metal detector, though!
    Simon1, SanMan, civilman1 and 2 others like this.

us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
    7925 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I've carried or tried many different models, but my old reliable these days is my S&W Mod. 19 .357 wheel gun. Not impressive I know, but I carried that one for over 20 years and hope I'll still be instinctively familiar with it if needed. I never practiced any hundred yard shots but concentrated on about 7 yards. Had a rifle for those long range encounters.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2012
    West Coast
    AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
    4981 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RGINN View Post
    I've carried or tried many different models, but my old reliable these days is my S&W Mod. 19 .357 wheel gun. Not impressive I know, but I carried that one for over 20 years and hope I'll still be instinctively familiar with it if needed. I never practiced any hundred yard shots but concentrated on about 7 yards. Had a rifle for those long range encounters.
    I had one, it shot "Very Well" I really liked it.
    RGINN, Simon1 and trdking like this.

us
    Aug 2017
    Southern Oregon
    Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
    207 times
    Relic & Nugget hunting, but I do it all
    I have two .44 Mags. A Contender and a Ruger. I have tried a 9mm and .357's but I needed more killing power for bear just in case. I have packed a .44 Mag since 1979 and it does the trick. I killed one elk with it and several smaller animals. It is my go gun for sure. The recoil is a bit much in the Contender so I use .44 Special ammo in it. If recoil bothers you then this isn't the gun for you.
    civilman1 and trdking like this.

us
    Aug 2009
    Smoky Mountains
    Minelab Sovereign GT
    770 times
    I bought my S&W 629 in 1979 when they first came out, it is a no-dash with 8 3/8" barrel.. I traded a Ruger Red Hawk for it. I couldn't get the trigger pull down to where I wanted it on the Ruger. Before I even shot the Smith, it was completely dissembled, action polished, trigger pull down to 2 1/2 pounds. I deer hunted with it for several years, it's great in thick cover!
    I've never shot .44 Spl. in it, recoil don't bother me.. and I'm 71 years old. I love to hear the "Big Dogs" bark!
    S&W .460 or .500 if you want a little more power... I grin every time I shoot my Bond Arms Derringer with .45 Colt+P.. bark ya little dog! LOL!
    Last edited by Number9; Jan 24, 2020 at 09:19 PM.
    Simon1, civilman1 and newnan man like this.
    Nationality: Confederate

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links