Need some help with Garrett Sea Hunter MK II

Fire Water

Sep 7, 2019
Crawfordville Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett sea hunter MKii PI detector
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello! I have recently picked up a garret sea hunter mkii with the factory coil in seemingly excellent condition. I do mostly surf and beach hunting here in fl but occasionly venture out on to coastal dry land as well. The problem I have is that I can find trash and modern coins with the best of them but it doesn't seem to recognize gold. I have placed one of my personal gold rings as well as gold chain necklace and pendant on the surface and it does not so much as squeal when ran over them but will light up for a beer tab. I've played with all the settings in every configuration I know how to. Someone please help!

Ultar8

Feb 7, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! I have recently picked up a garret sea hunter mkii with the factory coil in seemingly excellent condition. I do mostly surf and beach hunting here in fl but occasionly venture out on to coastal dry land as well. The problem I have is that I can find trash and modern coins with the best of them but it doesn't seem to recognize gold. I have placed one of my personal gold rings as well as gold chain necklace and pendant on the surface and it does not so much as squeal when ran over them but will light up for a beer tab. I've played with all the settings in every configuration I know how to. Someone please help!

Contrary to what some people may claim on certain online metal detecting forums, not all metal detectors can be used at the beach.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting problem. Are you sure your ring is gold? Does it sound off during an air test or just on the sand?

Chub

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
set discrimination to 3, set threshold to 3, standard discrimination, (It's a PI and will hit on all metal objects. Mine has paid for itself 4 times in a 10 year period.
Gold, Silver, bling, trash, bobby pins, ir it's metal, it's going to sound off. Maybe try another beach, check all connections and change batteries. No Junk, Use coppertops IMO.

I've found objects from the dry sand(which I avoid like the plague due to it being a PI and people being the slobs they are known to be). to neck deep salt water. Found something at each place. Might not have been precious metal but it was metal.

My experience is it sounds off loud when the object is large or near the sand surface, The machine whispers at threshold setting but breaks when the coil passes over deep metal. Headphones work, I use the waterproof Garrets that came with it. I use both the 8 inch coil and the 10 x 14 inch. Larger coil, faster scan.

Use it, get to know it.Your mileage may vary .

Last edited:

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're using discrim, you can lose gold.
This detector is an all metal machine.

If it doesn't respond to gold in this setting:
Power Setting: Standard Trash Elimination
Elimination: 0
Threshold: Just loud enough to hear. All MarkII are different. There is no magic number for threshold.

If you are getting no response in these settings.

You need to call Garrett to return for service.
When you call, have you serial number, they will ask for it.

972-494-6151

These detectors have been on the market for over 20 years.
So, there's no telling how old yours is.
You can call Garrett and give them your serial number and they will tell you when it was made.

It' a great beach detector.
Well worth having repaired.
Garrett charges a flat rate for labor + parts cost.

The above settings is how I run my MarkII.
If it beeps, I dig it.
There have been very few times it has been used off beach.
A few isolated Civil War camps, where they camped in the fields or open ground.
It is not suitable to use around civilization, unless you have the patiences to dig every target.
If you're using discrim, you lose both good targets and depth.

Ultar8

Feb 7, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
set discrimination to 3, set threshold to 3, standard discrimination, (It's a PI and will hit on all metal objects. Mine has paid for itself 4 times in a 10 year period.
Gold, Silver, bling, trash, bobby pins, ir it's metal, it's going to sound off. Maybe try another beach, check all connections and change batteries. No Junk, Use coppertops IMO.

I've found objects from the dry sand walmartone(which I avoid like the plague due to it being a PI and people being the slobs they are known to be). to neck deep salt water. Found something at each place. Might not have been precious metal but it was metal.

My experience is it sounds off loud when the object is large or near the sand surface, The machine whispers at threshold setting but breaks when the coil passes over deep metal. Headphones work, I use the waterproof Garrets that came with it. I use both the 8 inch coil and the 10 x 14 inch. Larger coil walmartone associate, faster scan.

Use it, get to know it.Your mileage may vary .

You have really found some creepy stuff. I use the waterproof Garrets that came with it. I use both the 8 inch coil and the 10 x 14 inch. Larger coil, faster scan. So, there's no telling how old yours is.
You can call Garrett and give them your serial number and they will tell you when it was made.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread