xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ATMax works pretty well for me but I am primarily a land hunter. When I go to the beach I really struggle to find anything with all the chirps and ghost signals. Can anyone give tips on using this machine at the beach like what settings work for you? I am talking mud flats and wet beach sand. I'm not at the point of getting in the surf or diving. :BangHead: thanks.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VLF machines are not that good in wet salt water environments, you are better off using a PI machine or using one of a few minelab offerings.

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
ace 350, equinox600, equinox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check Big Boys Hobbies website.... he had a video on there about setting up the Max for beach surf/ wet sand hunting.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Basically you need to reduce your sensitivity to about 1/3 of the machine's capability, and hope for newer, or recently uncovered drops. If you can find nickels in the wet sand, there's a chance at gold. In saltwater, multi-freq or pulse induction machines are king.:skullflag:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found that FREQUENT ground balancing helped a lot, along with cranking sensitivity down, as stated above. Even wet, saltwater sand responded well after ground balancing. But if you spend a lot of time in or near the salt... shop around for a PI unit...Good luck! Ddf.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions