fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The older I get the harder it is for me to keep my pants up, especially when wearing a digging pouch. As it gets loaded it drags my pants down. I wear it as tight as I can stand but still I sag!:laughing7: So I am considering one of two options. First, a pair of suspenders and second a pair of overalls. I like the overalls because of all the extra pockets, but the suspenders are cheaper.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use suspenders all the time. I had problems when I snapped them on to the belt loops, so I glued on some belt loops (from some older used pants) to where they wouldn't interfere and come loose when I wear a belt also. I glued them on near the present belt loops, folding them over at the top of the pants. I used fabric glue that I purchased at Wal Mart. You could also use those heavy duty leather suspenders and connect them directly to your Knap- bag.

SnowDigger

Jan 10, 2019
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Nokta FORS CoRe
Nokta Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just my two cents, my hubby has the same problem, and has been using suspenders (clip to pants type). They work all right, but the ones he has (a couple brands by now) all seem to pull on his back causing some strain. He has a bad back though, so that probably wouldn't apply to you. They do keep the pants up!

Guardrailnickel

Jan 11, 2020
Pa. 19512
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have pants already, and might like overalls. Why not buy one pair of overalls, and one pair of suspenders? Give them a shot and see how it works out.

One warning about suspenders. The story you are about to read is true. Names may or may not have been changed to protect the innocent:

I have a friend, Ill call him John. We went on a trip down South to do some detecting. One early morning after breakfast we went out to hit the woods. Well John had the call of nature. He grabbed the TP and ran for the woods. After quite a bit of time, John come out of the woods, cursing worse than a drunken sailor. At arms length's was John's suspenders. Turns out John dropped trou, and in his haste forgot about his suspenders. Yup, he dropped a deuce on his brand new suspenders. He refused to throw them out, and instead put them in a trash bag. They were then placed under the Bronco. Well to this day I cant recall if we drove off without them or not. I do know that I refused to allow him to put them in the Bronco, on a blazing hot 100 degree day in Va. .

Among other things that happened on the trip: A broken down truck. An accident in the rental that replaced the truck. Cheap cigars, lousy food and cold beer. Would I do it again? H##L YEA!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me the problem wasn't the pants, it was the weight of the pouch. I picked up a heavy duty set of tool belt suspenders and belt at the hardware store. I hang the belt on the suspenders. The weight is carried on your shoulders, and also, the tool belt itself doesn't have to be cinched tight around the waist. If you have a beer infused belly, like me, that's a real plus. You'll see a lot of carpenters wearing their rigs this way, for a reason.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to try suspenders first. I got the clip on type and will try them on my pants and on the digger pouch belt. If they don't do the trick I will get overalls.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my two cents, my hubby has the same problem, and has been using suspenders (clip to pants type). They work all right, but the ones he has (a couple brands by now) all seem to pull on his back causing some strain. He has a bad back though, so that probably wouldn't apply to you. They do keep the pants up!

I had my neck fused about two years ago and chose not to have my lower back done because of the 18 month recovery time. At 69 I don't have a year and a half to give up. I did retire completely so if I start hurting now I can stop what I am doing and rest.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel dumb I dont know the difference between the two. The style a while ago was to wear your pants down by your ankles lol

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep, got older, my a** got smaller, now wear back brace and suspenders so I can't be seen acting like a 16 yo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread