Use Common Sense Factor

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Ok, you just found this hobby, bought gear, read about how to use it, found a mentor, and then when you hit the parks and tot lots, and you keep sucking hind t!t, EVEN after being directly tutored about common sense concerning the public's logical paths during public property detecting. Why? You were just given good advice, but again and again, you drift to "dead zones" and end the day with scraps while the other detector finds treasure(only clad maybe) at 5 minute intervals. Again, why? You should be twice as successful by the second or third hunt, yet the common sense just don't seem to register.

Kids in playgrounds play on the equipment, not around the perimeter. People using a city park cruise paths to utilities and pavilions, and all around sports venues. Those fringe areas can certainly have dropped treasure, not contesting that fact, yet, why in the world drift to slow, uneventful areas away, while learning this hobby, and leave those common high traffic for your competition? It just doesn't make common sense, after a vet from this hobby, gives advice.

Why not listen to advice about common sense, given by seasoned detectorists and hit those hot spots first? Instead, new people many times seem to gravitate away to lesser basically, dead zones, while the veteran detector gathers in the fun and treasure after just "using their common sense" about how the public uses these parks, schools, etc.

Listen. Follow advice. Watch the public and imagine where humans play. It is your fault if and when you donate your gear to the closet, after getting dejected, and quit.

It is simple. Plain common sense. Yes, it took me a while at first, but I didn't have a friend giving pointers. Once I did find a friend generous enough to give advice, common sense kicked in.

Just use your head. Don't avoid good common sense. You're the one to lose if you don't listen. Oh BTW, don't wait on me to NOT go directly, straight to the logical hotter spots. I will cut you off, as a cheap lesson about listening. You should know by "Park #2" that it's somewhat dog eat dog. Don't be a chump.

Last edited:

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Classic ID, Mikronta 4003
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, you just found this hobby, bought gear, read about how to use it, found a mentor, and then when you hit the parks and tot lots, and you keep sucking hind t!t, EVEN after being directly tutored about common sense concerning the public's logical paths during public property detecting. Why? You were just given good advice, but again and again, you drift to "dead zones" and end the day with scraps while the other detector finds treasure(only clad maybe) at 5 minute intervals. Again, why? You should be twice as successful by the second or third hunt, yet the common sense just don't seem to register.

Kids in playgrounds play on the equipment, not around the perimeter. People using a city park cruise paths to utilities and pavilions, and all around sports venues. Those fringe areas can certainly have dropped treasure, not contesting that fact, yet, why in the world drift to slow, uneventful areas away, while learning this hobby, and leave those common high traffic for your competition? It just doesn't make common sense, after a vet from this hobby, gives advice.

Why not listen to advice about common sense, given by seasoned detectorists and hit those hot spots first? Instead, new people many times seem to gravitate away to lesser basically, dead zones, while the veteran detector gathers in the fun and treasure after just "using their common sense" about how the public uses these parks, schools, etc.

Listen. Follow advice. Watch the public and imagine where humans play. It is your fault if and when you donate your gear to the closet, after getting dejected, and quit.

It is simple. Plain common sense. Yes, it took me a while at first, but I didn't have a friend giving pointers. Once I did find a friend generous enough to give advice, common sense kicked in.

Just use your head. Don't avoid good common sense. You're the one to lose if you don't listen. Oh BTW, don't wait on me to NOT go directly, straight to the logical hotter spots. I will cut you off, as a cheap lesson about listening. You should know by "Park #2" that it's somewhat dog eat dog. Don't be a chump.
Good lord what bad dream did u have last night? Haha I agree with alot you say, but one thing u gotta understand is that alot of these detectorist now days have been over and over and over spots like parks and as a newbie, and a seasoned detectorist knows if your luck is running dry on the sidewalk the next best place is to go where there could have been gathering places for picnics or blankets set out for a couple to lay on, or let's get crazy the tree line where Nancy and bob pulled their clothes off to have fun. I learned a long time ago when you use tunnel vision in detecting you miss out on the good stuff. Good luck and hopefully better dreams tonight. [emoji99][emoji99][emoji99]

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Yea, it got long winded. It ain't simple when dealing with close friends. It reminds me of when I was still married. My wife would listen to a bum on the street before my suggestions. Human nature is funny.

broken_detector

Mar 10, 2013
Alma Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Classic ID, Mikronta 4003
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yea, it got long winded. It ain't simple when dealing with close friends. It reminds me of when I was still married. My wife would listen to a bum on the street before my suggestions. Human nature is funny.
Jesus sounds like my wife, she would ask me to get her oil changed when she didnt realize I took it to a jiffy lube and it took 5 minutes lol. Shows how much they actually pay attention to us lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread