What was your BEST DAY metal detecting?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Second day of DIV XL, when I found a Confederate staff officers button at a house that J.E.B. Stuart and his staff visited during the Civil War.

NSTCW22szg.jpg

I had only found two bullets and an unmarked flat button in two days of detecting, so I began to walk all over the site, and found an old house foundation, and saw two guys digging there already. Long story short, they said it was fine if we detected there, and I ended up walking a mile back up the mountain to find my dad, and we came back down to detect. I found the button where the old front door used to be, which was pretty cool. We didn't know what it was, but I had a lot of people coming up congratulating me the next day. I didn't do anything, I was just lucky enough to wave my coil over it!

William Leigh said that this was a 10/10 for rarity.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried to find a best land day - but detecting for over 40 yrs - I couldn't - so posted some easy bests
this was my best trip... 4 days of water hunting - gold & silver

best day for rings

best land relic - very rare to find complete

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best day was probably beginners luck, plain and simple. Got out couple days after buying my first detector on my first "real" hunt. Working an old farm where the barn and home had been razed, near the foundation of the house. Got excited when I got a good high tone and pulled out a merc. Whoohoo!
Went back over the area and found a friend...then another, and another. They just kept popping out of the ground! An hour later I had a pocket full of silver. 26 mercs and 2 barber dimes!
Got pic of the mercs, cant find the barber pics.... Dimes.jpg

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My very BEST day metal detecting was when I took my wife on a hunt and she didn't like it. Enough said.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The day I got my 1774 British Gold guinea after Hurricane Sandy.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first day I tried my first metal detector and knew I would never stop detecting.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The first day my daughter and I detected together. :occasion14: Unfortunately, she is older and I now hunt alone. :sad10:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I found a Barber half dollar in the gravel driveway of the old stone house my mother lived in when she was a little girl. Her dad probably lost it working on a car.

The weirdest thing was when I found a pocket spill consisting of an entire collection of silver war nickles.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Two gold rings in a blighted urban park, in the pouring rain, in the space of an hour or two, and then a weird counterfeit of a coin that never existed shortly after that.

I was fairly sure that both of those rings were pull tabs, but I dug the first one because it sounded just a bit off. The second one sounded exactly like a pull tab. I stopped walking past pull tabs after that. I've dug other rings and a mountain of pull tabs since then, but it was a transformative afternoon for me.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190628_071802.jpg

That would have to be the day I dug my first ever silver coin. 1853 seated dime in spectacular condition. It looks like it was dropped the day it was minted.
I was getting frustrated at never finding anything cool and was considering hanging up my detector.
This coin motivated me to keep pushing on. I have since added a same year seated half dime and a type 2 holed Trime, all from the same field.
And an 1847 large cent and an 1866 shield nickel.

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day I found a small hoard of 26 Silver Canadian Dimes from 1929-1965!

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day I found a small hoard of 26 Silver Canadian Dimes from 1929-1965!

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any day I get out is my best day whether I find anything or not.

Jon
8-):cat::occasion14::headbang:

Last edited:

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best day was when my girlfriend (who is now my wife) got me my first metal detector for Christmas, yep... I was like a kid at Christmas! I've been detecting as much as possible ever since.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to go with best days, since I can't really pin it down to a single day.

My best detecting days have nothing to do with the items found - all of which were ordinary and rather mundane to most - but everything to do with the excitement of the finds. Those days consist of the various times I've lent a machine to some youngster (mostly my neighbor's kids) and just helped them dig the newly discovered treasure. Their excitement was my treasure, as the findings were nothing I consider special but to them it was the equivalent of a chest filled with gold coins.

I'll never forget how excited my neighbor's son (about 7 at the time) got when we dug up a discarded (junk metal) cap gun. To him it was the greatest treasure ever dug, and he bragged about it for months.

Or the time his sister (a couple years older) found an old horseshoe. To this day it remains tacked up to the side of her parent's shed (she is now 21).

I've found silver and I've found gold, but I've never experienced the sheer joy (and excitement) that I discovered/enjoyed when they found their treasures.

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20200130_165340.jpg

I was playing with our dog and lost my wedding ring. I went to the local hobby shop to rent a detector, found my ring in a bush and I was hooked.

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any day my daughter was detecting with me. Those memories are better than any finds I have ever made, (and I've made some nice ones).

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best day.... well I guess it's all the memories I attach to the finds. I have a lot of good memories. My favorite: It was right across the street from my dad's house. I had a hunch that the land was old. I had just gotten my current detector so it was new to me and I wasn't sure it's capabilities. I had three other friends meet up too. The grass on the field turned out to be a little longer than ideal but we went at it anyway. In the first 2-3 hrs nobody found anything. It was starting to feel like I had a dud of a spot. I started to think that maybe my detector was not able to be used in grass that long. Then people started making finds. Everyone went home happy with multiple coppers. I found a really nice KGIII, KG II, and CT copper. Also found two shoe buckle frames and a spoon bowl that could date to the 1600's. We dreamed of going back again to find the Spanish silver that was almost certainly there... It was not to be as the elderly couple who lived there told their kids about us and the kids told them to put a stop to it. I went by there the other day and the grass was cut really short. If we had another try at it I'm sure there would be some great finds. The hunt meant a lot to me because I had found the spot, made it a great day for all involved and found stuff where I grew up. I felt connected to it all. I know there will be great days ahead but this one makes me really happy when I think about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread