Poll. FBI yes or No

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chub, since you asked the question, in my opinion, you have already involved the FBI. Loose lips sink ships.....Joe McDonough

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I slept at a Holiday Inn one night.... and asked my goat....... He said NAAAH NAAH

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No.

Have any of the folks that always try to return the rings they find replied yet?
Ive returned two class rings one went very well as you can see on my profile the other ther person said hers was stolen in a break in of her house so that got me thinking. I think she was just a nut bag but no good deed!!!!!!!!!

hill_billiez

Sep 16, 2012
SW PA
Detector(s) used
AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No. I would take what I can carry and convert the rest into a treasure story.

Castiel

Greenie
Jan 29, 2020
Lebanon pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It
Depends federal land, state,county, city, private land. I delt with the feds and was a civilian federal employee ( mechanic). Carefull what you say and do.

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chub, since you asked the question, in my opinion, you have already involved the FBI. Loose lips sink ships.....Joe McDonough

Dont panic! I don't live in the States....I just find it odd that it would be considered....but there are some good answers here as to why someone may possibly contact the feds. I guess it depends on the situation but I would try and avoid the authorities at all cost. I dont know about the FBI but where I live government is largely stained by Bureaucracy ,Corruption, greed etc

chub

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm. A curious glimpse into the treasure hunter psyche.

Overwhelmingly, the answer to the question appears to be NO.

Yet if the FBI were to dig up a cache, that same majority feels they should be informed and the FBI held accountable?

Interesting what a late night stroll through the Asylum can reveal.

:coffee2:

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hmm. A curious glimpse into the treasure hunter psyche.

Overwhelmingly, the answer to the question appears to be NO.

Yet if the FBI were to dig up a cache, that same majority feels they should be informed and the FBI held accountable?

Interesting what a late night stroll through the Asylum can reveal.

:coffee2:

Nope on that too. Don't care. Are you from the post "don't ask don't tell" era? Never mind, I don't want to slip into the armchair psychiatrist mindset that makes everyone with a different opinion than mine seem crazy. I guess everyone copes differently. Enjoy drinking your coffee while looking down your nose at your computer.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think a find is the FBI's expertise area unless a crime is suspected. Where it's found might be in different jurisdictions.
Could be Dept of Argrculture or Dept of the Interior. One is BLM land, National Forrest land is another. State owned land and private ownership too.
So it's all way too complicated to involve the Government plus they won't know if you don't tell.
I know "finders keepers" is a myth but problems usually arise with "finders tellers".
Seems today, everything belongs to someone.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you are convinced you have found a valuble cache.

Would you involve the FBI?

Depends on whether there is a need to involve them. As hvacker says, it would be a rare situation where there is a legal need to involve them.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very simple, no, returning something lost to original owners yes. Look for obvious reasons, you read the many post on here from the many experts or experienced detectorist, times have changed in this hobby, the always say don’t bring gov into the situation well they rob you blind, remember the old saying what’s mine is mine and what’s yours is mine, well be smart the answers r a many from all these folks, you can get a free education on here take advantage of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions