mwssr

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2007
Hampstead North Carolina
Detector(s) used
cz6a and cz-3d
I have been checking out Ebay and the Detector Web Site forums for the purpose
of purchasing a used Fisher Cz6 metal detector. On Ebay one has to be very
carefull to determine whether to bid and take the chance that there might be something wrong with it. If there is and you send it back to the manufacturer (Fisher in this case) You should know what the flat repair rate is and add YOUR shipping and insurance to their flat rate which includes THEIR shipping and insurance back to you. Fisher charges a flat rate of $125, so if you determine that the Ebay listing did not state a return/refund policy (detector is being sold "AS IS") and you win the auction for $300 your total cost might make the purchase a poor decision. For example. The cost of the Detector is $300 plus shipping and insurance to Fisher of $16, plus the Flat rate charge to have the
detector repaired and sent back to you of $125. That is a total of $441.
If you have had a similar experience with Whites, Tesoro or Garrrett we could help our friends out there by building a list of all the major Detector vendors
repair charges. I personally would never sell or buy anything unless the
return/refund policy was stated and reasonable. So if you know what the flat
rate charges are for the other vendors please add them to this post.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have bought and sold used metal detectors on eBay. I have a rule of thumb that I use when buying. If I don't get it for a steal, I will not purchase a machine UNLESS IT IS BEING SOLD BY THE USER OF THE MACHINE. I will not purchase those " I turned it on and it lit up" items. I cannot get an accurate description unless I am able to speak to a person who understands metal detectors, and can explain it's working condition in detail. I will also ask questions such as "how long have you been detecting" or "do you consider yourself an experienced user?" or "do you belong to any metal detecting clubs or associations"?

I have never had a bad experience purchasing a metal detector online from a knowledgeable seller.

When I sell my used detectors, I always explain that I am a metal detecting enthusiast who has used the machine every week (or whatever the case is) and thouroughly tested it to make sure it is in working condition. I also explain the reason for selling it.

I would never purchase any machine that was not properly assembled, such as the one pictured!

Attachments

• 59a5_1.jpg
    59a5_1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 266

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a useful post! Thank you for taking the time to post this. Hopefully some will chime in with the flat rate or hourly rate for repair work. mwssr, if you could start a list up top as the information for each brand comes in...so that it can all be collected in one place in the post.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
White's has a reasonable charge for diagnostics, repair labor and recalibration - aprox $55-60. Parts are extra.

I have bought detectors on ebay and have never had a problem. I have also sold detectors on ebay(they were decent detectors). The key is to read the description.
Usually though you will get a better deal in classified adds on the internet.

Bob

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post with information many can really use. I only bought two detectors off ebay and knew I could tell if anything wasn't working right. Some hunters new to the hobby could buy used like this and hunt for weeks with a detector that wasn't operating right.

Just because the detector is a major brand is no reason to think the lifetime warranty will apply to you the other owner. Tesoro has a great customer service and most repairs are done free anyway. That can't be said about Fisher now days. Some Fishers on ebay are advertised as having a lifetime warranty when they don't anymore due to new owners.

I always worry about UPS dropping the box in rough handling before I receive something. That is a good reason to shop local dealer if you have one close.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
Just because the detector is a major brand is no reason to think the lifetime warranty will apply to you the other owner.
I always worry about UPS dropping the box in rough handling before I receive something. That is a good reason to shop local dealer if you have one close.

Keep in mind that any alteration to a metal detector will void the warranty.

I always request insurance when buying online.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Never bought a detector from eBay. I have bought three detectors from fellow detectorists on the forums with 100 percent satisfaction. I would rather buy from someone in the hobby if I had a choice.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Another suggestion for used metal detectors is Craigs list. You can buy locally, by location and sometimes you will get a better deal (I Just passed up an opportunity to purchase a "like new" Minelab Quattro for $450. They go for about $600 used on eBay)

www.craigslist.com

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
mwssr,

I have bought and sold quite a number of detectors on ebay. I sell used detectors on my ebay store along with new Tesoro detectors. I have purchased older detectors and they turned out to be a steal. Others have been completely useless (unrepairable) and I usually give them to technicians for parts. What's the bottom line? Well speaking for myself I don't make much money on used detectors when I factor in repairs,shipping, and unrepairable machines. (I do like to play with the older machines because it brings back fond memories). Some of the previous replies gave some very good tips on buying detectors on ebay,use them, compare prices(factor in that you may need to send it in for repair.) and if it looks good go for it. Joe

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only used detector I purchased was through TNET. Got a great deal 1/2 the cost of a new Whites Surf PI Pro, 24 months old and was in great shape and works fine. I have my EXP II in for a split screen repair. I will post the results when I get it back.

Ed D.

windrun

Oct 30, 2007
Eudora, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50
Well, 50-50! I have see several metal detectors sell in the garage sale, same thing even in the ebay auction. Will it work? Hard to tell! Sometime, they dropped the detector on the ground, cause LCD screen seem not working right.....

Well, some detector works great what they brought it from the ebay. Some sellers start to lose interesting in treasure hunter hobby, because most private property said no. Some people told me that they never find the gold or coins for a long time and give up the treasure hunter hobby.

Richard

OP
OP
M

mwssr

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2007
Hampstead North Carolina
Detector(s) used
cz6a and cz-3d
mwssr said:
carefull to determine whether to bid and take the chance that there might be something wrong with it. If there is and you send it back to the manufacturer (Fisher in this case) You should know what the flat repair rate is and add YOUR shipping and insurance to their flat rate which includes THEIR shipping and insurance back to you. Fisher charges a flat rate of $125, so if you determine that the Ebay listing did not state a return/refund policy (detector is being sold "AS IS") and you win the auction for $300 your total cost might make the purchase a poor decision. For example. The cost of the Detector is $300 plus shipping and insurance to Fisher of $16, plus the Flat rate charge to have the
If you have had a similar experience with Whites, Tesoro or Garrrett we could help our friends out there by building a list of all the major Detector vendors

OP
OP
M

mwssr

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2007
Hampstead North Carolina
Detector(s) used
cz6a and cz-3d
mwssr said:

Those of you who follow the used detectors for sale were probably amused by
A CZ5 on Ebay which indicated the reason for the sale - BUT THEN WENT ON
TO SAY IT HAD BEEN HANGING IN THE ATTIC since it wasn't being used.
I would imagine that most attics reach a temperature of at least 115 - 120
degrees in the summer. I dont know of any users manual that doesn't warn
the detector owner not to store a detector in a hot place like a hot locked car or its trunk. This could be the classic example of the seller replying to the buyers complaint of a problem "But it was working perfectly the last time I used IT"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread