Dear old maps... - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Dear old maps...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2017
    TN
    XP Deus
    46 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have a few thoughts.

It might be a long shot but, Google Sanborn Insurance Maps.

Contact genealogy/historical societies in the area. Genealogists are researchers by nature and have some of the most detailed public and private records.

If the church has a denomination affiliation (esp. Methodist), check with a local church of the same denomination for regional records.

You mentioned an old schoolhouse. Was it the same building as the church or a separate building? Researching the school may hold clues to the church, including its location.

The cemetery, if it is related to the church, is another resource. If not adjacent to, it should have been within a short walk from the church.

Let me know if you want more brain storming. I am a family historian and currently researching for ancestor homesteads from the early 1800s in TN. Currently have permissions on 1,000 acres, so, using research to close in on forgotten homesteads is much faster than walking!

Best of luck and happy hunting!

Hubbard
    LByles and Obsessive like this.

us
    Mar 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
    53 times
    At the Parrish Court House. go to the county records and look up the plat maps for the surrounding farms. In the old days they used to mark home sites (church) when selling land. (If the records go back that far,) It should also show the cemetery.
    LByles likes this.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    1260 times
    Yeah, they don't move dead people often.

The parish tax maps would likely have a parcel of land that still exists next to the cemetery that used to be the church. Parcel boundaries usually don't go away. That could be the easy way.

FYI:

It seems the consensus of posts on here that detecting cemeteries is a no-no. I don't. The closest I've come is picking up brass blanks after Memorial Day as a kid.

With no church there anymore, be careful that you're not perceived as doing that.
    LByles likes this.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Jun 2015
    204 times
    Highest nearest elevation perhaps?
    LByles likes this.

us
    Connie the Coonie

Dec 2019
    Louisiana
    430 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubbard View Post
    I have a few thoughts.

It might be a long shot but, Google Sanborn Insurance Maps.

Contact genealogy/historical societies in the area. Genealogists are researchers by nature and have some of the most detailed public and private records.

If the church has a denomination affiliation (esp. Methodist), check with a local church of the same denomination for regional records.

You mentioned an old schoolhouse. Was it the same building as the church or a separate building? Researching the school may hold clues to the church, including its location.

The cemetery, if it is related to the church, is another resource. If not adjacent to, it should have been within a short walk from the church.

Let me know if you want more brain storming. I am a family historian and currently researching for ancestor homesteads from the early 1800s in TN. Currently have permissions on 1,000 acres, so, using research to close in on forgotten homesteads is much faster than walking!

Best of luck and happy hunting!

Hubbard
    So I have looked at insurance maps, I think Sanborn Fire Insurance maps? But it only shows the closest town. The one building was used for both church and school. I want to say it actually was a Methodist church. I'll have to double check and see about contacting the closest/oldest Methodist church around there. The current cemetery is within a quarter mile from where the old church was, but the letter doesn't state in which direction. I called the library today and they are pulling 1800s maps from that area for me as well as some CW maps.

I have NO intention of metal detecting the cemetery though lol We are wanting to find the church so we can kinda pin point the path troops took through that area and possibly where they would have camped. All resources are there...bluffs, water, bridges, intersection...and from what we read, churches were used as safe houses and hospitals. We thought we had the church until we learned it wasn't built until later, and there was the old church.

The research is fun but sooo hard! I've been working so much that I haven't had as much time to dig. I love the old homesteads. Digging in the field and knowing you're there when you hit pottery and glass and nails. Hubby gets frustrated with the nails, but I keep going lol I may have to pick your brain some more though Hubbard if I can't get any results at the library!

us
    Connie the Coonie

Dec 2019
    Louisiana
    430 times
    Quote Originally Posted by whistler84 View Post
    Highest nearest elevation perhaps?
    Well I found one map that showed elevation but at the moment, can't pull it up lol The whole area where it possibly was is on a hill basically. Down the north side is now a pipeline steep down the hill. Road going through has high banks. This area is just straight boonies lol

us
    Connie the Coonie

Dec 2019
    Louisiana
    430 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bum Luck View Post
    Yeah, they don't move dead people often.

The parish tax maps would likely have a parcel of land that still exists next to the cemetery that used to be the church. Parcel boundaries usually don't go away. That could be the easy way.

FYI:

It seems the consensus of posts on here that detecting cemeteries is a no-no. I don't. The closest I've come is picking up brass blanks after Memorial Day as a kid.

With no church there anymore, be careful that you're not perceived as doing that.
    Yea no cemetery digging lol I didn't even tell the library why I'm looking for the church. But we're just looking for CW campsites. No bodies lol

us
    "Call me ArfieBoy"

Aug 2011
    N.E. Oregon
    Compass X-70, II, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass X-100
    262 times
    If it is a "church cemetery," the chances are that the building and the burial ground were in close proximity to each other. That is the way it was usually done before the turn from the 19th to the 20th century.
    LByles likes this.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2876 times
    Quote Originally Posted by freeman View Post
    Try google earth and see if you can detect any traces of old roads/paths/clearings. Also take a snapshot image of the screen image and put it through a graphic processor so it turns the image into a negative: you then see extra detail.
    Don't forget to use the time slider. Sometimes the older GE images come up looking like lidar shots depending on the time of year they were taken.
    LByles likes this.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

us
    Connie the Coonie

Dec 2019
    Louisiana
    430 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ArfieBoy View Post
    If it is a "church cemetery," the chances are that the building and the burial ground were in close proximity to each other. That is the way it was usually done before the turn from the 19th to the 20th century.
    Yea it's within a quarter mile. Just gotta find out which direction.

Quote Originally Posted by boogeyman View Post
    Don't forget to use the time slider. Sometimes the older GE images come up looking like lidar shots depending on the time of year they were taken.
    What's time slider? I've been using google maps but just pulled up earth. I'm not seeing anything for a time slider.

us
    Feb 2010
    1326 times
    If you have County, range and section try searching maps or "old plat maps" for your County and State. I grew up in a "village" here in MO. and found a Church on an old plat map from 1880's that was gone by the 1960's. People spoke of 2 other Churchs but neither was this one. Good luck.
    LByles likes this.

us
    Connie the Coonie

Dec 2019
    Louisiana
    430 times
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymailman View Post
    If you have County, range and section try searching maps or "old plat maps" for your County and State. I grew up in a "village" here in MO. and found a Church on an old plat map from 1880's that was gone by the 1960's. People spoke of 2 other Churchs but neither was this one. Good luck.
    Yep. There’s 3 dots but only one is marked as the current cemetery. Other two dots in that square are unmarked. At least, I’m assuming they are there as markers. They’re kinda randomly all over the area unmarked. No records say when the church was built. The only thing found was that it was most likely last used in 1890 and was rotting away by 1899. Current cemetery was established I think 1840 (I’d have to recheck). That’s why we thought the chapel there was our spot, until we discovered a letter about the old church a quarter mile away. The current chapel was built around 1930-1940 (again, I’d have to double check dates). But my husband’s great uncle actually helped build the new one. He passed away a few years ago. Fingers crossed that I can get some good stuff from the library tomorrow. The archivist is having everything pulled for when I get there, including all of the CW maps for the area.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    1260 times
    Did you try your library?

How about the church that is still attached to the cemetery? I'll bet they have pictures.

Did you try your parishes GIS?
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    Connie the Coonie

Dec 2019
    Louisiana
    430 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bum Luck View Post
    Did you try your library?

How about the church that is still attached to the cemetery? I'll bet they have pictures.

Did you try your parishes GIS?
    Hubby and I did get to the library and made tons of copies! Church isn’t labeled though I even had maps pulled from both parishes. They did have some CW maps as well that were copies the Union took from Confederate prisoners. Omg these roads....we’ve been able to pinpoint some areas that are familiar. So hopefully with these, we can figure out the routes traveled at least and compare to current roads. Haven’t had much time to do anything else this week due to preparing for the meeting I had today. But now that’s over with, back to researching more! My hubby is also friends with some of the CW re-enactors here. I suggested he get with them to see if they have anything of interest. I do know at one point they were wanting to match the original route which cut through our friend’s aunt’s property and she told them no, so they had to go around. I’m sure they have some maps as well (just thought of that like 20 minutes ago lol)

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    1260 times
    The church owned the property at one time and there's a record of that at the parish.
    LByles likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links