OP
OP
LByles

LByles

Dec 23, 2019
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, they don't move dead people often.

The parish tax maps would likely have a parcel of land that still exists next to the cemetery that used to be the church. Parcel boundaries usually don't go away. That could be the easy way.

FYI:

It seems the consensus of posts on here that detecting cemeteries is a no-no. I don't. The closest I've come is picking up brass blanks after Memorial Day as a kid.

With no church there anymore, be careful that you're not perceived as doing that.

Yea no cemetery digging lol I didn't even tell the library why I'm looking for the church. But we're just looking for CW campsites. No bodies lol

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is a "church cemetery," the chances are that the building and the burial ground were in close proximity to each other. That is the way it was usually done before the turn from the 19th to the 20th century.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try google earth and see if you can detect any traces of old roads/paths/clearings. Also take a snapshot image of the screen image and put it through a graphic processor so it turns the image into a negative: you then see extra detail.
Don't forget to use the time slider. Sometimes the older GE images come up looking like lidar shots depending on the time of year they were taken.

OP
OP
LByles

LByles

Dec 23, 2019
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is a "church cemetery," the chances are that the building and the burial ground were in close proximity to each other. That is the way it was usually done before the turn from the 19th to the 20th century.

Yea it's within a quarter mile. Just gotta find out which direction.

Don't forget to use the time slider. Sometimes the older GE images come up looking like lidar shots depending on the time of year they were taken.

What's time slider? I've been using google maps but just pulled up earth. I'm not seeing anything for a time slider.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
If you have County, range and section try searching maps or "old plat maps" for your County and State. I grew up in a "village" here in MO. and found a Church on an old plat map from 1880's that was gone by the 1960's. People spoke of 2 other Churchs but neither was this one. Good luck.

OP
OP
LByles

LByles

Dec 23, 2019
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have County, range and section try searching maps or "old plat maps" for your County and State. I grew up in a "village" here in MO. and found a Church on an old plat map from 1880's that was gone by the 1960's. People spoke of 2 other Churchs but neither was this one. Good luck.

Yep. There’s 3 dots but only one is marked as the current cemetery. Other two dots in that square are unmarked. At least, I’m assuming they are there as markers. They’re kinda randomly all over the area unmarked. No records say when the church was built. The only thing found was that it was most likely last used in 1890 and was rotting away by 1899. Current cemetery was established I think 1840 (I’d have to recheck). That’s why we thought the chapel there was our spot, until we discovered a letter about the old church a quarter mile away. The current chapel was built around 1930-1940 (again, I’d have to double check dates). But my husband’s great uncle actually helped build the new one. He passed away a few years ago. Fingers crossed that I can get some good stuff from the library tomorrow. The archivist is having everything pulled for when I get there, including all of the CW maps for the area.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you try your library?

How about the church that is still attached to the cemetery? I'll bet they have pictures.

Did you try your parishes GIS?

OP
OP
LByles

LByles

Dec 23, 2019
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you try your library?

How about the church that is still attached to the cemetery? I'll bet they have pictures.

Did you try your parishes GIS?

Hubby and I did get to the library and made tons of copies! Church isn’t labeled though :BangHead: I even had maps pulled from both parishes. They did have some CW maps as well that were copies the Union took from Confederate prisoners. Omg these roads....we’ve been able to pinpoint some areas that are familiar. So hopefully with these, we can figure out the routes traveled at least and compare to current roads. Haven’t had much time to do anything else this week due to preparing for the meeting I had today. But now that’s over with, back to researching more! My hubby is also friends with some of the CW re-enactors here. I suggested he get with them to see if they have anything of interest. I do know at one point they were wanting to match the original route which cut through our friend’s aunt’s property and she told them no, so they had to go around. I’m sure they have some maps as well (just thought of that like 20 minutes ago lol)

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The church owned the property at one time and there's a record of that at the parish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions