DEMOLITION UNCOVERS 1700's LOG CABIN in PA...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0f0e7662-2548-4946-80b5-6528625b72e7_750x422.jpg

WASHINGTONVILLE, Pa. — Borough officials in Washingtonville are cracking down on blighted properties. One of the first to go was a former bar at the corner of Water and Front Streets. It was condemned more than three years ago. Contractors recently started tearing it down and were in for a surprise.

"After our demolition contractor started pulling the outsides of the building off, discovered there was a log cabin in there," said council president Frank Dombroski.

Full Story - https://www.wnep.com/article/news/l...ille/523-087619ed-5ecd-4d39-9d90-ac380b76c64a

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of my permissions is a farm bought in the 60's by a friend of mine's father. There was an old house they got rid of by burning. When the siding burned off it exposed a log cabin underneath. Too late to save it. It was likely from the 1860's to 70's. I hope the city fathers in Washingtonville can save the structure and restore it. Gary

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool, but progress will not allow it to be saved....take a pic, then knock it down. History repeating itself. It would make for some good repurposed timbers at least.

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing discovery. Even if you can't save the structure, I would be begging for permission to detect every inch of dirt that is exposed.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a cool place to search. You would have to be there pretty quick before they started building whatever is going to be built.

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QUICK!!! Everyone grab their Metal Detectors and meet me on the corner!! :grin:

Don't you hate it when the "city" finds something of historical value and then trashes it? Where I live, they would move something like this cabin to a city park and put up a sign with all the pertinent info so people could enjoy it (they seal the windows and doors to prevent against vandalism).
-DH-

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They're moving it? For crissakes. It's been there for well over 200 years. Leave it where it is.

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're moving it? For crissakes. It's been there for well over 200 years. Leave it where it is.

The article says that until things get ironed out the cabin will stay where it's at.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A couple different properties have revealed square hewn logs in my area over the years after the siding was removed too...

Have not seen an example but have read of a wall being scored (A large X on one wall for example) to allow disassembly and reconstruction when relocated.
That requires intact corners. Which with proper notching originally is often possible.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where's the archies when we need them? :laughing7:

They will stockpile the topsoil, hopefully offsite, that's the time to work it.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I can understand how they were surprised to find a log building inside that bar. Here's what it looked like before the demo began:

cabin.jpg

What you don't see in this picture is just how far down Water Street it went, but I suppose that's what a few centuries of additions can do to a structure. Unfortunately, aside from a vacant lot next to it there's very little unpaved ground in the vicinity.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, aside from a vacant lot next to it there's very little unpaved ground in the vicinity.

Uh - don't discount that. Whatever's laying under it has been there since before clad coins.

Last edited:

mortaky

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2014
Danville, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 80
Bounty Hunter
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This cabin has now been disassembled and will be rebuilt on the borough's fairground about 1 mile away. Where the cabin sat is now filled in with a thick layer of stones. Still might be worth detecting because of all of the earth that was moved around.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This cabin has now been disassembled and will be rebuilt on the borough's fairground about 1 mile away. Where the cabin sat is now filled in with a thick layer of stones. Still might be worth detecting because of all of the earth that was moved around.

Agreed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions