Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2020
Rapid City, SD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all-
I've been living in Rapid City for about 8 months now. My first experience rock hounding here has been searching for tourmaline crystals up near Keystone. What a great area to be a hounder in! Along my travels up around Keystone, I met a guy that told me about the elusive state gem, the Fairburn agate! I've been out searching for them 3 times now. I've gone to the original beds near Fairburn and the Railroad Buttes. So far, I have a bubblegum agate and an eye agate. I love both, primarily because I found them through research and getting myself out in the field. But I've yet to even see the tiniest piece of a Fairburn. My next move will be to head over near Red Shirt, SD and scour the banks of the river. I've been informed from my boss that I'll only be working here for several more months, so I'm hoping to find one before I go. If there's anyone who's knowledgeable in finding agates around who would be so kind as to fill me in on any information that could help me find one, I'd truly appreciate it!! And better yet, if there's anyone here that would go out in the field with me, that would be awesome! A good steak dinner and a trip up to get tourmaline crystals would be in it for you if you're interested. Please let me know. Attached are a couple of photos of green tourmaline in mica matrix that I've been finding. Thanks! 20200208_174121.jpg 20200208_174010.jpg 20200208_174121.jpg 20200208_174010.jpg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice specimens. Congrats. Good luck finding those agates you're searching for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread