Signed original !!!

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Attended an estate sale a few months ago and acquired a few fun relics.
Best find was a Mitchell Spinning reel that may turn out to be a Pre-300, as in a 1940's model before it was named and mass produced.
This, a few bamboo fly rods, an end fed Red Ryder, were the takes of the day.
I though...

I had also bought a full stack of Art frame mats (the colored squares that are cut to fill the space between the frame and the art, to protect the edges of the art.) for $3.00 total. The bunch was 30+ uncut and a few cut. Most are 30"X40" and turn out to be top branded Conservation and Museum grade linen and such worth between $10 and $70 each!
So, this was the take of the day, I though...

Two months later, I decide I need a crème colored mat and go to search the pile- and discover one of the cut mats still taped to backer with a drawing framed in it!!!
The drawing- turns out to be a signed original, never reproduced, dated 1959 and unknown to the world. It also has a note from the artist to his brother on the back. The artist was Robert Freimark. A World Renowned artist, with a host of abstract work ranging from late 1950's to 2009.
Art being art, value is subjective and not known till the check is cashed, but, of all the museums and galleries that hold his pieces around the world, the Hohmann Gallery (
https://www.hohmann.art/freimark )
has a number of works listed in the $20,000 to $30,000 range. Example "Night Writer" below.
I've had another representative tell me, as an early signed original it should bring, at a min 15-20k, at a decent auction. Then again, I've seen prints for $200 other places...
One thing I did learn was that the Provenance is very short! Artist - Brother - Me. The estate sale was of COL. Gaillard Freimark, who, by the way, was a very respected local that ran an art framing and photography shop before the digital era...
As I said, Art is subjective, so value of a $3.00 accidental purchase could be $20k, or not... So this may be the take of the day!

Either way - I think it's a really nifty piece!

KP by Robert Freimark 1959  1.jpg Freimark 59 signature.jpg Freimark Backing 1.jpg Night Writer Robert Freimark.jpg

Last edited:

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that is how to do it....Great haul and congrats. If you decide to sell keep us updated.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats hope that's a big pay day for you. I also buy fishing stuff I've got boxes of wooden lures Big O ect Amazing the things you can get for next to nothing.Great job on the finds that's how we do it. Tommy

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm with Tommy,I'll take an old vintage Mitchell any day!! I still have most of my old rods/reels from my teen years!! Grats on the art work though.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
1more4me

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Yeah, saw those too. It's the difference between having your stuff at Christie's London verses Ebay… and a few other factors... I have no expectation, or need/desire to sell it anyway - I was just there for the Fishing gear! The research was fun though.

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome find! many of us "regular people" don't have 20K to thro out for a drawing..
MANY other people DO.
Best of luck with selling that! I hope you get the 20 grand!
(Don't forget who advised you on this) ;)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice art work! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread