Re-Burying Trash
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Re-Burying Trash

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2010
    392 times

Re-Burying Trash

Someone I know who recently began the hobby simply has an aversion to wearing a treasure/trash bag, claim his coat pockets are ok. I know for a fact that trash has been tossed in public view, and discussed the bad example and the danger of a kid picking up trash and possibly putting it in his mouth. That got a positive reply/promise to not toss trash, but is isn't logical to me that trash isn't simply being re-buried. I don't know it happens for sure.

Should it be my business to police such actions? Is it worth the possible conflict?
    A2coins and Honest Samuel like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    17208 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I think that, as a fellow dirt fisherman i am obligated to try to keep the hobby in a good light to others that do not partake of the hobby. I would have spoken to that person and have done so to others in the past. many of us have found sites with the plugs left out and the trash laying next to the hole. I picked up the trash and filled the holes, hoping that that individual would not enjoy the hobby and quit before they could ruin it for others.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    36753 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Yep I would say something to him people like that can ruin the hobby for others it's not fun to do but protect your ability to detect. Tommy

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 185 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    any tector i can get my hands on
    2365 times
    does this topic even require a lot of thought ? if u rebury it ? and come back to that park or property u will only encounter it again ? DOH ! oh that deserves a double DOH ! and can slaw is created by lawn mower operators that cant muster up the will to pick up the cans thereby creating such. some of the can slaw i've dug if i left it on the ground if someone with bare feet would be severely hurt their lil footsies and have their day ruined from a trip to the emergency room although that would be a boost for the doctors day. but lets try not to be selfish here. my father used to say to me ? what ? do u need a kick in the axx to wake u up ? sometimes it worked ?
    gunsil, SD51, dts52 and 1 others like this.

us
    Feb 2013
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Minelab Equinox 800
    1206 times
    I see it as just a matter of laziness. Wear a pouch, remove and dispose of your trash properly, and fill your holes. How hard is that?
    gunsil, EQ8, rook3434 and 7 others like this.

us
    Jul 2010
    392 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad 11 View Post
    does this topic even require a lot of thought ? if u rebury it ? and come back to that park or property u will only encounter it again ? DOH ! oh that deserves a double DOH ! and can slaw is created by lawn mower operators that cant muster up the will to pick up the cans thereby creating such. some of the can slaw i've dug if i left it on the ground if someone with bare feet would be severely hurt their lil footsies and have their day ruined from a trip to the emergency room although that would be a boost for the doctors day. but lets try not to be selfish here. my father used to say to me ? what ? do u need a kick in the axx to wake u up ? sometimes it worked ?
    Think about the re-burying of trash, to where it was when you found it. It is not a danger more than it was before being dug. To a beginner, hunting in non-exciting parks and such, places which may never be visited again...finding it again a second time, isn't really in a beginner's mind.

To be the Devil's Advocate a little, what danger exists by replacing and re-burying trash? There's a point on both sides.

About laziness. Yes, but I suspect it's more likely to be about not wanting to "look like a old guy detecting." Headphones were a tussle, but HPs were a tussle for me when I started too. You have to admit, we all do look kinda geeky in full metal detecting "drag", until we quit worrying about it.
    Last edited by McKinney_5900; Feb 14, 2020 at 02:25 PM.

EQ8
    us
    Feb 2020
    Sw Wisconsin
    Equinox 800 Garrett Carrot
    138 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinHunterAZ View Post
    I see it as just a matter of laziness. Wear a pouch, remove and dispose of your trash properly, and fill your holes. How hard is that?
    A bit more tedious than the slob that left it there in the first place.
    You don't stop playing because you get old..
    You get old because you stop playing

us
    May 2018
    Athens Georgia
    Garret AT pro
    572 times
    Metal Detecting
    I went to my new favorite spot recently and found a fresh dig hole, un filled, with a gd can right beside it. Not happy someone else is hitting my spot, VERY unhappy they may get us all banned. I pick up all trash when I go digging, not just metal trash. Last time I went out I filled a bag with bottles and cans, then found a huge dump in a nearby ravine. Reminded me of this Calvin and Hobbes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C&H.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	826.7 KB 
ID:	1801545
    The universe rewards the observant.

I would do a little talking, but I'm known for that anyway ! Just takes a few to ruin it for everyone.

Charter Member
    us
    Ethan

Apr 2019
    North Eastern Kentucky
    My dads Whites MXT
    23876 times
    Relic Hunting
    I used to dig up trash, and rebury it, but that was on my own property. Over time, it got to the point where I could recognise what I was digging over and over again, so I quit that. I take everything out now.
    RustyGold, dts52 and Goodyguy like this.
    "The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy." - Jubal Early

"We'll fight them, sir, till hell freezes over, and then, sir, we'll fight them on ice" - Unknown Confederate soldier

Bullets wanted! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tr...ml#post6272084

us
    Bryan

Jul 2012
    Mid-Missouri
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
    363 times
    I have been guilty of not fully excavating something once I find it to be trash, like big iron or a long copper pipe. I do take all the small stuff and dispose of it, though. Recycle cans, etc. I hunt sites with my digging partner that his now-deceased old partner used to hunt. He liked to re-bury trash, and we will often find holes with two or three shotgun shells in them that were left by Mr. Galvan. It's like his spirit is hunting with us, and laughing.
    Bryan in Mid-Missouri
    "MidMoTreasure" on Youtube

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    3355 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco-Digger View Post
    I think that, as a fellow dirt fisherman i am obligated to try to keep the hobby in a good light to others that do not partake of the hobby. I would have spoken to that person and have done so to others in the past. many of us have found sites with the plugs left out and the trash laying next to the hole. I picked up the trash and filled the holes, hoping that that individual would not enjoy the hobby and quit before they could ruin it for others.
    I do the same. Even on a beach, I fill my holes (and remove trash) because someone could break an ankle in a hole.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

us
    Can You Dig It?

Aug 2017
    Milwaukee WI
    - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer
    1119 times
    My detecting friend will leave the trash. Drives me nuts. I pick it up and put it in my pouch. Never confronted him about it. Think I'll just buy him a finds pouch.
    dts52 and Goodyguy like this.
    My METAL DETECTOR is actually a TIME MACHINE

us
    Apr 2009
    Cumberland Va
    T-2-SE
    1495 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    It makes good sense to take away everything you dig and I sure do try , BUT when you start digging plow shares that weigh 20LBS , chunks of a tin roof, fence post and other big items and your truck is a mile away, What are you to do then? I hunt old homesteads in the woods and there is a ton of iron at most sites.
    I do dig iron signals often and the pile of stuff is left in the ground or placed inside a hollow stump.
    small stuff like shot gun brass and buckshot I put in the pouch.
    dts52 and Loco-Digger like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    7219 times
    You dig it up, you pack it out. Its the creedo
    SD51, RustyGold, dts52 and 1 others like this.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links