Re-Burying Trash

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Someone I know who recently began the hobby simply has an aversion to wearing a treasure/trash bag, claim his coat pockets are ok. I know for a fact that trash has been tossed in public view, and discussed the bad example and the danger of a kid picking up trash and possibly putting it in his mouth. That got a positive reply/promise to not toss trash, but is isn't logical to me that trash isn't simply being re-buried. I don't know it happens for sure.

Should it be my business to police such actions? Is it worth the possible conflict?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that, as a fellow dirt fisherman i am obligated to try to keep the hobby in a good light to others that do not partake of the hobby. I would have spoken to that person and have done so to others in the past. many of us have found sites with the plugs left out and the trash laying next to the hole. I picked up the trash and filled the holes, hoping that that individual would not enjoy the hobby and quit before they could ruin it for others.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I would say something to him people like that can ruin the hobby for others it's not fun to do but protect your ability to detect. Tommy

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
does this topic even require a lot of thought ? if u rebury it ? and come back to that park or property u will only encounter it again ? DOH ! oh that deserves a double DOH ! and can slaw is created by lawn mower operators that cant muster up the will to pick up the cans thereby creating such. some of the can slaw i've dug if i left it on the ground if someone with bare feet would be severely hurt their lil footsies and have their day ruined from a trip to the emergency room although that would be a boost for the doctors day. but lets try not to be selfish here. my father used to say to me ? what ? do u need a kick in the axx to wake u up ? sometimes it worked ?

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see it as just a matter of laziness. Wear a pouch, remove and dispose of your trash properly, and fill your holes. How hard is that?

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
does this topic even require a lot of thought ? if u rebury it ? and come back to that park or property u will only encounter it again ? DOH ! oh that deserves a double DOH ! and can slaw is created by lawn mower operators that cant muster up the will to pick up the cans thereby creating such. some of the can slaw i've dug if i left it on the ground if someone with bare feet would be severely hurt their lil footsies and have their day ruined from a trip to the emergency room although that would be a boost for the doctors day. but lets try not to be selfish here. my father used to say to me ? what ? do u need a kick in the axx to wake u up ? sometimes it worked ?

Think about the re-burying of trash, to where it was when you found it. It is not a danger more than it was before being dug. To a beginner, hunting in non-exciting parks and such, places which may never be visited again...finding it again a second time, isn't really in a beginner's mind.

To be the Devil's Advocate a little, what danger exists by replacing and re-burying trash? There's a point on both sides.

About laziness. Yes, but I suspect it's more likely to be about not wanting to "look like a old guy detecting." Headphones were a tussle, but HPs were a tussle for me when I started too. You have to admit, we all do look kinda geeky in full metal detecting "drag", until we quit worrying about it.

Last edited:

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see it as just a matter of laziness. Wear a pouch, remove and dispose of your trash properly, and fill your holes. How hard is that?

A bit more tedious than the slob that left it there in the first place.

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to my new favorite spot recently and found a fresh dig hole, un filled, with a gd can right beside it. Not happy someone else is hitting my spot, VERY unhappy they may get us all banned. I pick up all trash when I go digging, not just metal trash. Last time I went out I filled a bag with bottles and cans, then found a huge dump in a nearby ravine. Reminded me of this Calvin and Hobbes.

C&H.png

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do a little talking, but I'm known for that anyway ! Just takes a few to ruin it for everyone.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I used to dig up trash, and rebury it, but that was on my own property. Over time, it got to the point where I could recognise what I was digging over and over again, so I quit that. I take everything out now.

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been guilty of not fully excavating something once I find it to be trash, like big iron or a long copper pipe. I do take all the small stuff and dispose of it, though. Recycle cans, etc. I hunt sites with my digging partner that his now-deceased old partner used to hunt. He liked to re-bury trash, and we will often find holes with two or three shotgun shells in them that were left by Mr. Galvan. It's like his spirit is hunting with us, and laughing.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that, as a fellow dirt fisherman i am obligated to try to keep the hobby in a good light to others that do not partake of the hobby. I would have spoken to that person and have done so to others in the past. many of us have found sites with the plugs left out and the trash laying next to the hole. I picked up the trash and filled the holes, hoping that that individual would not enjoy the hobby and quit before they could ruin it for others.

I do the same. Even on a beach, I fill my holes (and remove trash) because someone could break an ankle in a hole.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My detecting friend will leave the trash. Drives me nuts. I pick it up and put it in my pouch. Never confronted him about it. Think I'll just buy him a finds pouch.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It makes good sense to take away everything you dig and I sure do try , BUT when you start digging plow shares that weigh 20LBS , chunks of a tin roof, fence post and other big items and your truck is a mile away, What are you to do then? I hunt old homesteads in the woods and there is a ton of iron at most sites.
I do dig iron signals often and the pile of stuff is left in the ground or placed inside a hollow stump.
small stuff like shot gun brass and buckshot I put in the pouch.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone who reburys their trash deserves to hit on it and redig it the next time they go hunting. It is a pain to clean up a trashy site but if you can’t figure out its trash before you dig, it’s just kind of stupid to toss it back in the hole.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone who reburys their trash deserves to hit on it and redig it the next time they go hunting. It is a pain to clean up a trashy site but if you can’t figure out its trash before you dig, it’s just kind of stupid to toss it back in the hole.

Amen Susan, well said! My only hope when I hear about people re-burying trash is that soon they will tire of this hobby and quit, they just don't belong period!

I once read years ago that the only time it was accepted to bury trash is after you recovered a cache. The article stated that it was common for the finder to then bury trash in the hole so when another cache hunter dug it up, they would know the cache had already been recovered!

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It makes good sense to take away everything you dig and I sure do try , BUT when you start digging plow shares that weigh 20LBS , chunks of a tin roof, fence post and other big items and your truck is a mile away, What are you to do then? I hunt old homesteads in the woods and there is a ton of iron at most sites.
I do dig iron signals often and the pile of stuff is left in the ground or placed inside a hollow stump.
small stuff like shot gun brass and buckshot I put in the pouch.

That's how the big trees on my dad's farm all got junk necklaces! A lot of people around here don't consider old plow parts trash and love to use em for wall hangers. Also nothing screams "this areas been detected" like a big chunk of cast iron sitting on a stump. I don't consider that the same as leaving old cans, pull tabs, and pie plates laying around.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
You dig it up, you pack it out. Its the creedo

Agreed. I have told many people (non - MDrs) who ask about it, that my personal rule is - “I dig it, I drag it.” Many times I’ve had to walk back to the vehicle because my finds pouches are full of trash (never full of good stuff) :BangHead:
Naturally, this rule may be modified depending on where I’m hunting. If I’m in the middle of the woods and discover one end of a wagon axle, I’m not going to drag it out. Recently I’ve been hunting the shoreline of a man made lake which has been lowered. I’ve spent the majority of my time rolling up yards and yards of monofilament line. While it obviously cut into my hunting time, on several different occasions passerbys thanked me for making the effort. Hopefully they’ll remember that and help to counter the negative image some people have of MDing.

I think we all know that it only takes one to spoil it for the rest.
HH
dts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions