Opinion

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have my oldest permission to date. 1772 is when the structure was built. Lot of history here. Indians attacked in them and scalped one guy. There is a cemetery on the property with Rev war solider on it. So this place has seen action.

My question is, if there is a crawl space big enough to get in, do you think it would be worth the effort?

Secondly if a coin or item fell in between the floor boards, would it have the same amount of travel into the ground as a coin outside? Or would the dry and protected conditions of the crawlspace keep the coin or item on top of the dirt?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Beware of the dust. A mask would not hurt...Gloves ,long sleeves, spider awareness ect..

A dirt floor under a dwelling might dodge frost heave/sink. Wet and dry cycles can make some exposed soils more friable too.

Hard telling if the crawlspace would trump a spring-house or root-celler or barn....
But it would be darned hard to ignore too.
For starters it was out of sight of others. And secure as far as noting traffic in and out of it.

When homesteads are started it's usually a house/shelter first.
Then when prosperity and time and labor exist ...More structures.
But sometimes it never got past the original dwelling.

Some foodstuffs could last longer preserved in a crawlspace.
Perhaps other valuable things could too. Though few folks had an excess of valuables.
Even a ladies silverware could have been a treasure of sorts to hide if threatened with being robbed. (?)

Sounds fun.
Congrats on the permission.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worth the effort? Of course, we are treasure hunters. If just one coin or two hundred year old bottle is underneath, its worth getting dirty for it.
I don't think there would be more than 1/2" of dust covering anything.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Go for it but be careful.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be all over that place ! Like others said, just be careful and wear a mask. Items should not be to far under the dirt, if at all.

OP
OP
rjeffw

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good thing about this place, is it is a church, and has been well maintained. The new church actually sits right behind it. So hopefully if there is a crawl space no unwanted critters will be there.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure to look around where the church may have held outside meetings or picnics.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NB:

I once rented an old abandoned farm house. It hadn't seen humans for years, but plenty of other denizens.

I went to the ag store and got half a dozen cyanide mole bombs and lit 'em in the basement and left.

Came back a few days later with a pitchfork and bucket. It was worth it.

OP
OP
rjeffw

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure to look around where the church may have held outside meetings or picnics.

Oh count on it. The church historian was telling me that the cemetery on the church has Rev War soldiers burred on it. So plan on checking around that area too, just not on over over a plot.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't not go in there stick your cell phone in there on a stick first to see who's in there lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread