Fisher Island Florida is in the news again.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20200425-075855_Google.jpg at 13 feet above sea level I live in an x zone and probably the highest point in the keys. I have never had more than a half inch of rain water around the house. Hurricane Irma ravaged the lower parts of my neighborhood but we were left high and dry as the water surged around the island. I will always be an islander even if I have to live like my Indonesian brothers !!

Ps. I've also been a fisherman all my life commercial and charter......fishing is just fine down here. Fishing on the sport boat recreationally we had 4 days of mutton snapper limits. That's 10 a day for 4 days in a row. We averaged 2-6 sailfish a day during that bite. A keywest captain caught 60 sailfish in one day last week. I'm pretty sure that's a record. Problem is the keys are closed to tourists and not many people are fishing except us locals for fun !!

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The only issue with flooding in Florida has nothing to do with global warming. It has to do with idiots wanting to live right on the waters edge then cry every time a storm or flood damages their home. People move here daily from other areas and if they have bucks they got to live on the water. I Live on an island 3 blocks from the beach. I choose to do so knowing a hurricane could wipe me out. I could move inland or god forbid out of state. If my place goes away that's nature and I'll figure something out. I don't expect anyone to come running to give me a new house or blame global warming. The earth warms and cools in natural cycles and always will. Crying like chicken little will do no good. Doing some research on where you're gong to build/buy a house will.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said !! I was happy to get a house 2 blocks from the water on the highest point of land. Short walk to the water and in an x zone I'm not required to have flood insurance. And choosing wisely as I did I've saved thousands on flood insurance.....and never had a flood !

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1827405 at 13 feet above sea level I live in an x zone and probably the highest point in the keys. I have never had more than a half inch of rain water around the house. Hurricane Irma ravaged the lower parts of my neighborhood but we were left high and dry as the water surged around the island. I will always be an islander even if I have to live like my Indonesian brothers !!

Ps. I've also been a fisherman all my life commercial and charter......fishing is just fine down here. Fishing on the sport boat recreationally we had 4 days of mutton snapper limits. That's 10 a day for 4 days in a row. We averaged 2-6 sailfish a day during that bite. A keywest captain caught 60 sailfish in one day last week. I'm pretty sure that's a record. Problem is the keys are closed to tourists and not many people are fishing except us locals for fun !!

I've been out of the commercial Florida fishing game for 35 years, and I'm sure that a few Key West Captains have an occasional good day and are doing "fine", but the multi generational Floridian commercial Fishing and shrimping companies in Tarpon Springs, Port Canavaral and Miami have been devastated.
Caucasians fished, shrimped and purchased wholesale from other Fisherman for Generations and now they are gone.
They have been replaced by corporate franchised seafood restaurants that are there to end serve the upper middle class public. They buy their "fresh" shrimp from farms in Ecuador.
The original major wholesale seafood houses are ALL gone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
This place is often billed as the wealthiest zipcode in America, but htey were amongst the absolute first to recieve SBA PPP relief.

Un frigging believable.... 2 million dollars within hours of the programs conception.
2.4 million dollars yearly averrage occupant salary.
Most small businesses havn'y and won't ever recieve a dime of intended relief.

Think the decks are slightly stacked?

Nation’s richest ZIP code received a $2M PPP loan.
HOA asked residents for feedback
T[COLOR=var(--color-trd-sf, #00ADEE) !important]R[/COLOR]D MIAMI /
April 24, 2020 05:00 PM
Staff

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare via Email

fisher-island-1-650x405.jpg
Fisher Island (Credit: Fisher Island)

UPDATED, April 27, 9:35 a.m.: Fisher Island’s homeowners’ association was approved to receive a $2 million loan through the federal government’s Paycheck Protection Program, but residents voted to reject the loan late Friday.
The $349 billion PPP program was created by Congress to help small businesses, providing loans of up to $10 million to cover rent, mortgage interest, utilities and payroll. It was unclear how the Fisher Island association would have used the $2 million.

Fisher Island, the nation’s wealthiest ZIP code, recently made headlines when it purchased 1,800 rapid Covid-19 blood test kits for all its residents and workers, spending $30,600 at a time when testing is limited, according to the Miami Herald.
The exclusive island can only be reached by ferry, boat or helicopter.
The island’s homeowners’ association, which oversees about 20 smaller associations, met on Friday at 5 p.m. to review feedback from its residents about accepting the $2 million loan, the Miami Herald reported.
ADVERTISEMENT
READ MORE

Real estate companies received about 3 percent of the $342 billion in loans approved through the federal program, according to figures released last week by the U.S. Small Business Administration. [Miami Herald] – Katherine Kallergis

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions