Fisher Island Florida is in the news again.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Fisher Island Florida is in the news again.
Last month I was in Orlando running some errands so I drove my rental car down to Miami during some down time.
Unbelievable wealth down there.
Florida is known for having the absolute best homestead protection laws in America. There is no limit on the size or amount of homestead protection in Florida. (second only to Texas)
In comparison California only protects the first $75,000 of a homesteaded estate.

There are still lots of Yogurt and coffee shops (I recognized one ice cream shop from the 80’s). There must be lots and lots of money in Yogurt and coffee.
I live in and CALIFORNIA and I was amazed at how much money there still is down there.
All that money must have been “earned” a while ago, because all I noticed were very very working class suburbs with the occasional billionaire enclave.

$400,000 dollar cars everywhere.

I drove all around the beach cities back and forth across the causeways and noticed one thing.

These places are two feet above sea level. The flood maps say 6 to ten, but I was there, I saw it. They are two feet above sea level .

Average income self reported at 2.2 million dollars a year.

How is it possible that this place has not gone under 15 feet of water at least a few times in the last 80 years? I mean, how is that possible?

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because rising oceans are a hoax. If builders bankers and insurers are still operating in Florida, then youre safe.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like somewhere I wanna be

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Because rising oceans are a hoax. If builders bankers and insurers are still operating in Florida, then youre safe.
I think the global warming due to man induced CO2 emissions may very well be a hoax, but the oceans are rising, no doubt. The earths cyclical position to the sun is causing a normal warming cycle just as it has every 400 years or so. The business end of the ten thousand year cycle would put many large cities under 100 feet of water.
I do business on Galveston Island and only in the past ten years more land has gone under water then in the entirety of its recorded past. In August of 2008, the first floor parking and laundry area in my canal home went under to the 9 foot level for 10 hours before receding It's very very difficult to understand if you haven't actually experienced hurricane flood water storm surge first hand.

That year the flood insurance went form $895 a year to $4300, so yes the bank and insurance companies "operate " but they have no "skin in the game"

Federal disaster relief does all the paying off. Insurance companies and banks just process and record.

The entire Miami barrier island, the proximal mainland, and the sand bars that would later become fisher island and coconut grove went under to the ten foot level in 1926.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Florida has been underwater several times and also has been the size of Texas a few times! Just not in our narrow time frame we tend to look at things in. I used to routinely fish a reef that was 18-22 miles off Sebastian Inlet. It had a distinct 5-10 ft. drop that holds all types of fish. It basically runs the entire length of t image.jpg the state. During the last ice age it was the coastline. Conversely you will not find dinosaur fossils in Florida because it was totally submerged when they roamed the earth. Don't worry about all those rich South Floridians, they will jump in their fancy cars & high tail it to Atlanta!

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are all WRONG. Before man, all of the planet was the Garden of Eden. Bad humans ruined it like they ruin everything else. Think I'm lying? Well just ask any Liberal and they will tell you it is so, and you know they wouldn't lie. After all are you going to believe the science and evidence or the Democrats?

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
You are all WRONG. Before man, all of the planet was the Garden of Eden. Bad humans ruined it like they ruin everything else. Think I'm lying? Well just ask any Liberal and they will tell you it is so, and you know they wouldn't lie. After all are you going to believe the science and evidence or the Democrats?
How coherent. Science is like magic, except it's real.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There once was a man who lived in a house. The man noticed that his house was on fire. He didn't believe in science but that's ok you didn't need science to identify a fire, so he picked up his phone and dialed 911. The fire department arrived and told him that he needed to get out of the house because it was on fire. The man asked the fireman who he voted for. The fireman didn't see how that mattered but he told him how he had voted. The man disagreed with the fireman's choice in voting. The man told him to take his politically opposed self and leave.... so the fireman left. He sat in his house and picked up his religious text "this would help the situation" he exclaimed. Then his house burned down and he was dead.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Florida has been underwater several times and also has been the size of Texas a few times! Just not in our narrow time frame we tend to look at things in. I used to routinely fish a reef that was 18-22 miles off Sebastian Inlet. It had a distinct 5-10 ft. drop that holds all types of fish. It basically runs the entire length of t View attachment 1803640 the state. During the last ice age it was the coastline. Conversely you will not find dinosaur fossils in Florida because it was totally submerged when they roamed the earth. Don't worry about all those rich South Floridians, they will jump in their fancy cars & high tail it to Atlanta![/QUOTE

My family were commercial Fisherman, We probably saw you a few times. We would pass the reefs, the tourists and the locals in our shrimp trawlers and or fishing boats (depending on the season) and every now and then bring up what I now think were mammal or mamoth fossils in the nets and occasionally other interesting stuff.
It was unbelievably hard work.
4 hours sleep usually during the day for three days strait. Absolutely completely covered in slime all the time. We mended nets, cut bait, baited hooks cleaned fish and repaired the boats al day and night long.

We never took pictures of fish, not once in my entire life. We never thought to do it once. It just never ever crossed any of our minds to bring a camera to take pictures of each other or of fish. Now I wish we did.
After five days out we usually had about 1500-3500lbs of Grouper, Warsaw grouper, Mangorve Snapper, Red Snapper Marlin (rare) , Tarpon (bait) and occasional relics that are still around somwhere.
The low end of that range meant I was getting my A** beat at least twice on the way back to the dock at Grant. )LOL)

My parents paid cash for everything they had including their three bedroom home behind Rathman Chevrolet (Melbourne) and the fishing boats too.
We paid cash for food and all utility bills , I remember My father had one credit card for fuel from the occasional Marina that did not take cash.
Inspire of having no bills and being completely financially independent we lived like we never had any money at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There once was a man who lived in a house. The man noticed that his house was on fire. He didn't believe in science but that's ok you didn't need science to identify a fire, so he picked up his phone and dialed 911. The fire department arrived and told him that he needed to get out of the house because it was on fire. The man asked the fireman who he voted for. The fireman didn't see how that mattered but he told him how he had voted. The man disagreed with the fireman's choice in voting. The man told him to take his politically opposed self and leave.... so the fireman left. He sat in his house and picked up his religious text "this would help the situation" he exclaimed. Then his house burned down and he was dead.

I'm just curious, Did this guy have flood insurance?

JosephT

Jan 28, 2019
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No its not a hoax in West Palm Beach, FL the original A1A highway is under several feet of water along with the beach that was between it and the water.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Florida has been underwater several times and also has been the size of Texas a few times! Just not in our narrow time frame we tend to look at things in. I used to routinely fish a reef that was 18-22 miles off Sebastian Inlet. It had a distinct 5-10 ft. drop that holds all types of fish. It basically runs the entire length of t View attachment 1803640 the state. During the last ice age it was the coastline. Conversely you will not find dinosaur fossils in Florida because it was totally submerged when they roamed the earth. Don't worry about all those rich South Floridians, they will jump in their fancy cars & high tail it to Atlanta![/QUOTE

My family were commercial Fisherman, We probably saw you a few times. We would pass the reefs, the tourists and the locals in our shrimp trawlers and or fishing boats (depending on the season) and every now and then bring up what I now think were mammal or mamoth fossils in the nets and occasionally other interesting stuff.
It was unbelievably hard work.
4 hours sleep usually during the day for three days strait. Absolutely completely covered in slime all the time. We mended nets, cut bait, baited hooks cleaned fish and repaired the boats al day and night long.

We never took pictures of fish, not once in my entire life. We never thought to do it once. It just never ever crossed any of our minds to bring a camera to take pictures of each other or of fish. Now I wish we did.
After five days out we usually had about 1500-3500lbs of Grouper, Warsaw grouper, Mangorve Snapper, Red Snapper Marlin (rare) , Tarpon (bait) and occasional relics that are still around somwhere.
The low end of that range meant I was getting my A** beat at least twice on the way back to the dock at Grant. )LOL)

My parents paid cash for everything they had including their three bedroom home behind Rathman Chevrolet (Melbourne) and the fishing boats too.
We paid cash for food and all utility bills , I remember My father had one credit card for fuel from the occasional Marina that did not take cash.
Inspire of having no bills and being completely financially independent we lived like we never had any money at all.
You have my respect for your hard work. I knew a couple of commercial guys, once went out with Dave Lewis for Kings. Fun for me but I didn't have to go everyday even when the seas were kicked up! Nothing wrong living off cash. I've been doing that since my divorce in 94. I made a promise to never be in debt again. We sold our boat this past summer, getting old & knees are shot! Still go with my buddy though but I pick the weather carefully! Fishing has been going downhill for years. Too many people fishing 24-7-365. Regs are helping, Red Snapper fishing is pretty good but almost no season. Fishing in theKeys is getting real bad.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever consider, it may not be the water rising,
it may be the land sinking? :icon_scratch: js…

Lots of wealthy, and I mean WEALTHY, foreigners here!
Capitalism is definitely thriving here, atm...

Do some of you all, really try, to run a thread into the ground?
*gotta always try to get the comment in quick before lockdown :BangHead:

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, OK, I'm impressed, You have noticed the historic nature of the final disposition of 80% of the treads I start here, LOL.... Politics anyone?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lol... and you sound serious when you say that.

I live here... no hoax here.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its crazy how many people think "the earth stays the same with no changes"

I mean how blind do you have to be to not see change all around you ?

Nothing in this world is constant... EXCEPT CHANGE !

Heh.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My house in Ft. Myers was 11 feet above sea level, yet flood insurance wasn’t mandatory. Each rainy season and hurricane my street and yard flooded, once I had water splashing over my front step. How we didn’t have water seeping up through the floor boards is beyond me.
So I run away from life and move to the mountains, and the damndest thing is...my bank makes flood insurance mandatory.
... reason being I live in a valley, surrounded by streams, that lead to a dammed river, that becomes a lake in the summer.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My house in Ft. Myers was 11 feet above sea level, yet flood insurance wasn’t mandatory. Each rainy season and hurricane my street and yard flooded, once I had water splashing over my front step. How we didn’t have water seeping up through the floor boards is beyond me.
So I run away from life and move to the mountains, and the damndest thing is...my bank makes flood insurance mandatory.
... reason being I live in a valley, surrounded by streams, that lead to a dammed river, that becomes a lake in the summer.
You anywhere near Camp David?
A friend of mine (long passed) used to tell me a story, of when his brother,
a Ranger, used to do hikes from Camp David.
He had hiked about 3 days, when he ran across a door in the side of a mountain.
It was kinda hidden with overgrowth, said he almost didn't see it.
He went inside, it was a big hall cave, that went back into the mountain.
He told his brother, there was a big long table, a type of kitchen area,
and even a few mugs, lamps, and some supplies laying around.
It went on back, even deeper, too.

He left, and was never able to find it again, after that.
Perhaps our Founding Fathers, had their own little "Camp David",
tucked back in the mountain side. :dontknow:
It's still there, untouched, so heads up, when you out and about
if you anywhere within a 3 day hike of CD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread