Anyone go in woods look for old foundations

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learning this technique I must look for stones that form the foundations, pine trees dictate a certain aspect and flowers etc. all in this I call off the grid searching. Results can be rather amazing, yes coins and relics of all sorts. Just asking because I nosome or most stick to the open fields of less dangerous terrain, if you would like to add any additional knowledge of locating old settlers residents please do we all learn something

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this openly available or purchase it thanks

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Library historical books help me this will be a good post cause I look for them also

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do alot of state land stomping for home sites, I use a couple maps to get general location, once Im in the general area I start looking for big holes, lilac bushes and flower type plants, most of the holes I find have had all the stones removed, when non of these signs are visible I start speed walking and swinging for iron patches... hope this helps ya...

most of the holes I find are so thick with briers and weeds I have to wait till late fall or early spring...

Last edited:
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right, that’s why winter time is good to enter the sites, why so many jaggers briers, even then it’s to hard to swing, but you are right

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found dozens of foundations, lost cemeteries, a Nike Missile site, a Confederate Salt works, ghost towns, and have dozens of prospects. My main tools are Google Earth, Historic Aerials, Ghosttowns .com, and Gaia mapping software on my I pad that I can overlay old maps, topos,marine charts up to 15 different map options. I look for unusual topo changes, and vegetation. When I find an interesting location I zoom in tight on google earth , Mark the site then load the numbers in my handheld GPS and I’m off. I also have a GPS drone that I can load the numbers in, now I don’t have to bushwhack into some pretty nasty places.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In SW Oklahoma, mimosa trees, lilac and rose bushes, and iris flowers always indicated an old home place, even if no ruins were evident.

Guardrailnickel

Jan 11, 2020
Pa. 19512
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Pa. it seems that Tulips are a great way to find old home sites. The bright yellow stands out among the green.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Day Lillies and low/ground covered greenery are indications of something from the past! :icon_thumleft:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area, if your in the woods and you find a patch of Tulip flowers, start looking for the foundation or remnants of a home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread