Dog to sniff out paper money????

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Found this cartoon, but I thought of this idea before, and maybe it's not funny.
I mean it COULD be a useful tool.

Any ideas?

Of course you would have to prevent your dog from jumping on any stranger with a bill or two in his wallet.

Sniffer.jpg

(Or is that simply ANOTHER one of my hair-brained ideas?)

Last edited:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've beat this subject up in the past. Its totally possible. Police dogs are trained to search for money, drugs, bodies etc. I tried to train my dog to do this but you need to have a super trained patient dog. My dog didn't have a good nose and ended up having a tumor in the nose that killed him. If i ever get another dog I'll try again.

OP
OP
UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Thanks, Tommy.
I looked for the topic - - must have not used the right search words.
Sorry about the dog.
When mine died it was like I lost my son.
As the song "Bo Jangles" says . . . "After 20 years he still grieves."

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not difficult to train any dog, but is difficult to have the time and patients, every dog is trainable some take more time then others...

claypile

Mar 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be awesome to have a bank note sniffing dog, though..

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drug dogs can sniff out paper money that has traces of drugs on it. I'm still waiting to see if somebody trains a dog to sniff out gold, which I used to think could theoretically be done.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm pretty sure gold has no odor. It is the most "noble" of the noble metals and does not have any kind of an emission or "volatile" molecule associated with it that would be sensed by a nose of any kind.

Including long range detectors. ;-)

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Found this cartoon, but I thought of this idea before, and maybe it's not funny.
I mean it COULD be a useful tool.

Any ideas?

Of course you would have to prevent your dog from jumping on any stranger with a bill or two in his wallet.

View attachment 1807910

(Or is that simply ANOTHER one of my hair-brained ideas?)
ok i have some bad news for ya. i know you didnt think this far ahead. BUT most people carry plastic these days. best of luck to ya ! except for the drug dealers. how would you feel if your dog got shot ?

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
RGINN. They are sniffing the drugs, period.

nomad 11 I always carry cash. I have plastic too but you can't buy stuff from an individual with a credit card. I know that dogs can be intelligent but I doubt there are any that deal drugs. At least the K9 type anyway.. lol

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok i have some bad news for ya. i know you didnt think this far ahead. BUT most people carry plastic these days. best of luck to ya ! except for the drug dealers. how would you feel if your dog got shot ?

For sure. The "No Country for Old Men" dilemma. Large amounts of cash set off alarms with the police and should with everyone else.

original.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is Jessie, a springer spaniel (one of several) employed by UK Border Force at London’s Heathrow Airport. She's trained to detect the scent of ink on wads of banknotes and also the odour given off by certain papers used for banknote printing (as well as Class A drugs such as cocaine, heroin and ecstasy).

Jessie.jpg

In her first 5 months of work, she sniffed out more than £1 million in smuggled notes.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dogs can't be trained to sniff out gold per se, but from a prospecting point of view they can be (and are) trained to sniff out minerals usually associated with gold-bearing deposits... notably certain metal sulphides in particular combinations.

Baldwin

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniff money can cause germs in haling so avoid it

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
For sure. The "No Country for Old Men" dilemma. Large amounts of cash set off alarms with the police and should with everyone else.

original.jpg

now you're talkin. that's my kind of money. none of this pocket change you find with a metal detector

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, you can train a dog to sniff anything that has an odor.

Even some things you think that don't. (cancer is one of them)

Hotels use them for finding bedbugs.

Dogs, properly trained, can be trained for about anything you don't need thumbs for.

Currency sniffing dogs

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Just Guessing, but today's hider of currency uses PVC pipe, so train your dog to sniff out PVC, being careful when you dig not to rupture a water line. Or just dowse the area for water and then turn your $100 bill sniffing dog loose on the site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions