Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
With no political intent on my end your not far off. Politicizing most any position has been the method of choice for many in the US from at least the early 90's. A lot of legit arguments have de-volved into trash talk for position. I hope the world doesn't follow. Germany has shown solidarity.
I especially disagree with what some Americans refer to as "Their" freedoms.
Some embrace an interpretation of personal freedom that rejects personal responsibility. The example usually explained in Law 101, we don't have the freedom to yell fire in a crowded movie theater we also don't have the freedom to expose others to a possible virus or any other harm we could prevent.
Some might become part of a group that doesn't seem to want to understand the difference. Their position is not supported by the Constitution or the Bill of Rights. In America, and most other countries, intentionally harming someone else is illegal.
Now some want to politicize this event as if the Virus cares. Denial for what ever reason is still denial based on nothing scientific, just a boneheadedness or worse, based on emotions.
No one has any freedom to expose me to a possible agonizing death so get your a$$ away even if your not sick, don't think your sick, don't care if you infect anyone else, believe it's a hoax, or any other real or made up excuse.

While not comparing Corona to AIDS even though both are viruses, I do remember one thing the science said about AIDS. That was some estimated a vaccine would probably take 14 years. Still no vaccine today. Even now the meds just keep some alive. I mention this to remember how tricky a virus can be.

I have been taught that in survival of a species, everything has a reason or purpose. A virus kills it's host. Where's the logic?
Very well said. Thank you!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do masks work ?

if so 2 Persons with the Mask in a Crowd of 3 Protects all.

If Masks Don't work, Who's to say Who Infected them ? Could have been the Other person with the Mask

If you stay 6 feet away from someone & Don't hock Loogies all over, You are also Protecting Others :coffee2:

Masks are overkill in My opinion, Distance is what Matters.
Learn not to Spit.

I like to Comfortably Breathe air, Not feel like I have Asthma

It's allergy season here..had three sneezing fits today already.
No stopping it..when it wants to get out..it's happening.

We can look to South Korea and Hong Kong to see what works.
Masks were part of the solution. Not sure how many "rights" they infringed. Probably more than a few by our standards.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I saw happening, which is probably warranted is social distancing and protective barriers at the pharmacy and doctors offices.

They should keep that in place from here out.
How many people have sat arm to arm with sick people at the doctors office?
Sometimes for hours.

They should schedule patients so elderly people have appointments on different days than people with the flu or babies with croup.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
do masks work ?

if so 2 Persons with the Mask in a Crowd of 3 Protects all.

If Masks Don't work, Who's to say Who Infected them ? Could have been the Other person with the Mask

If you stay 6 feet away from someone & Don't hock Loogies all over, You are also Protecting Others :coffee2:

Masks are overkill in My opinion, Distance is what Matters.
Learn not to Spit.

I like to Comfortably Breathe air, Not feel like I have Asthma

Of course masks work or they wouldn’t use them in surgery.
When I was an inhalation therapists I remember watching a video of how far a sneeze traveled. It was 20 feet plus.
What matters is the seal on your face. Loose? Not much protection.. tight? Better. A 3m dual respirator mask would even be the better protection. You can’t smell it and even the vapor doesn’t enter your lungs. I sprayed a ton of sealer and it was the only mask that blocked out everything.
With that being said, who in the heck would go to that depth to prevent the Corona virus. So yes..I believe some masks are useless unless they make a complete seal.
As far as whether or not we need them I believe we do but only if they work. Home made masks might be better.
IMHO. With respect Jeff.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And this has been one of my concerns, as to "how we appear on the world stage"...

Some, see us braving the unknown courageously,
others see, citizens running around like their hair's on fire...
I believe we can mostly thank lamestreammedia, for airing the pics,
how others interpret them, that's on them.

Reality here is, most, are hunkering down, plenty of food, gas, ammo, & seeds.
Our hospital personnel are kicking butts & taking names, Bless them all...
Our first responders, for the most part, are doing the right thing...
Our essential workers are still working....
Farmers are farming and trucks are rolling....
Only thing left, is to slowly bring this puppy back up & working, as best we can,
within the confines of the circumstances given.
We're adults. We're not all stupid!

Our lifeguards, beach patrols, & Police patrols have done an excellent job,
at keeping law abiding citizens away from public (restricted) areas.
I hope they serve as well, as to keep malicious & violent law breakers,
away from the law abiding public, when our public areas open back up!
There's always that one idiot in the bunch.... they should remove the idiots and
leave those doing the right things, alone!
Again, we're adults. We're not all stupid!

Oh, and get that Charter Membership... :laughing7:
Hope that was ok TH, I was trying not to dance the line.... :laughing7:
and agree on that 1st, 5th, & 14th, though...

Pat your find, just as Baribal and Hvacker's posts were fine, just becoming borderline and if I had gone much further I also would be breaking the rules.

I personally dont give a rat's butt how it appears on the world stage, we gave $39.2 billion in foreign aid to over 200 countries in 2019.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was an inhalation therapists I remember watching a video of how far a sneeze traveled. It was 20 feet plus.
What matters is the seal on your face. Loose? Not much protection.. tight? Better. A 3m dual respirator mask would even be the better protection. You can’t smell it and even the vapor doesn’t enter your lungs. I sprayed a ton of sealer and it was the only mask that blocked out everything.
With that being said, who in the heck would go to that depth to prevent the Corona virus. So yes..I believe some masks are useless unless they make a complete seal.
As far as whether or not we need them I believe we do but only if they work. Home made masks might be better.
IMHO. With respect Jeff.

So if I breathe 6 Feet away from someone with a Mask, Both are safe Unless I Spit at or Sneeze at the person.

See any of the People Making these Rules Wearing Masks on TV ?
Actually they are exercising their rights !

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if I breathe 6 Feet away from someone with a Mask, Both are safe Unless I Spit at or Sneeze at the person.

Your eyes are also a direct path to blood stream so you can be infected by virus landing in the membrane of your eyelids.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
IMHO. With respect Jeff.

There was a situation where construction people were trained to use the double filter masks (think Breaking Bad) A problem happened when the masks were not being used correctly even after training. Those masks were abandoned in most cases and replaced with the simple ones we see being used. Still used for fumed environments.
So the problem is not just having a mask but to install it properly. I don't see that being done or even any training for correct use.
I know there are some instructions on the package but that brings up another set of questions like was it read and comprehension. Is the same attention installing a mask that a medical person would have? Not even close.
Anything's better than nothing. Avoiding crowds is even better.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
This thing has IMO been here long before first case.

ALSO... IMO... This is a type of flu... a flu they don't have a vaccine for... this is what prompted this.

Nature is... and will... "run its course"... and now all we can do / we are in "mitigation" / "damage control" modes now.

The World in its entirety let alone a nation should have expected this... and been better prepared for this almost guaranteed possibility... now turned reality.

Almost seems like closing down society as a whole was and is a wise choice...temporarily anyway... but as far as the economics /economy...

the "cost" of such a action... begs the question... and is apparent now... Can we or cant we... "afford" it.

Which is a greater "loss" is what it seems to be on the scales... life or liberty...

Seems this is not "new" on the scales of human thought.

To open or not to open... that IS the question. heh
To be answered by the government of EACH state...

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you protecting America from and how can you protect it by demonstrating or simply by going outside while there's a virus killing your people?(especially in an environment that can kill you?)
It doesn't make sense to me. People you've put in place made the rules and now you need to protect yourself from those rules? How does that make sense? As I said, it sounds like it is more of a political thing than common sense . And also where is the problem to tell police where I'm going when they pull me over (which has never happened to me in the past 24 years) They won't shoot/assault me. It doesn't matter and has nothing to do with my freedom

America ain't just a place, it is a concept. The concept of America is that all people have equal inherent natural rights. When the governor of Michigan tells me I can't plant a garden on land I paid for and paid taxes for becuase watching seeds grow spreads human respritory illness she is overstepping her authority and exceeding the limits of reason.

....So the police don't lock people up in Germany? Now I've heard everything. :dontknow:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think one big thing a lot of people are missing is that practically every single one of us will get this virus. We have no natural immunity. Flattening the curve was never about lowering the total number of cases. It was about spreading them out so we didn't overwhelm our healthcare system. So everyone freaking out, wearing masks, spraying down their kids, drinking hand sanitizer, whatever, it's all moot. You WILL get this thing. You may get symptoms, you may get sick, you may die, or you may be asymptomatic. But unless you have some natural immunity or you never leave your house again, you are going to get it. So freaking out about reopening our economy is silly. We can't do this forever. We clearly are nowhere near overwhelming our healthcare system so let's go back to work. We can watch it and if it starts to get out of control we can pull back. This cowering in our homes from a disease we are going to get anyway just doesn't make sense. Let's isolate the most vulnerable (like we should always do) and get back to work.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Only watched the First 18 Minutes of Tucker So far tonight,
But if you Missed it, Try to watch it on On Demand Later.
I Think You may be Shocked at What's Going on.

& For the Record Fresh Air & Sunshine are the Best Medicine !

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeff, what is your objection to wearing masks at this point in time?
I have not worn one yet, but suspect I will start soon when we get the second wave in 2-3 weeks.

Is it the fact that the government is telling you to..or that you don’t think it will affect respiratory virus transmission?

The tests so far are showing FAR more people have had this virus than testing shows (which lowers the mortality rate).

Is it because you feel this is not an illness to be concerned about because it is being misrepresented?

I am truly curious.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, what is your objection to wearing masks at this point in time?
I have not worn one yet, but suspect I will start soon when we get the second wave in 2-3 weeks.

Is it the fact that the government is telling you to..or that you don’t think it will affect respiratory virus transmission?

My objection is 2 Fold #1 DON"T Give me Orders ! I Lived almost 65 Years Ignoring Orders.
Yes I Was Brought up that way !

#2 I like to Breathe Freely & Never Follow ! NEVER ! if I do it, it would be on My terms !
at this Time I think it is simply Political which I Cannot Discuss here or bow to.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My objection is 2 Fold #1 DON"T Give me Orders ! I Lived almost 65 Years Ignoring Orders.
Yes I Was Brought up that way !

#2 I like to Breathe Freely & Never Follow ! NEVER ! if I do it, it would be on My terms !
at this Time I think it is simply Political which I Cannot Discuss here or bow to.

Ok I get it I think (don’t respect it, but I get it).
I too enjoy my liberty. I also understand America is a group of like minded people and we all have made sacrifices in unison serval times historically (not sure if that was by order every time). Let’s set the aside the statistics and messaging.

Of all things to rebel against in the name of liberty...this is a speck of dust.
SO MANY more important violations other than a mask wearing GUIDANCE during a global pandemic of a respiratory illness.

So many things that have slowly creeped up on us since the 1960’s that have affected our lives in a negative manner.

I understand some of the eastern states are experiencing some major “issues”.
But common sense should prevail. Wearing a bandanna while in close proximity with the public out of respect for our elders and certain susceptible populations seems like a no brainer during a respiratory virus pandemic?

Dictating what you can buy and what you can do...ya..rail against that...shutting down our economy..yup rail against that. Taking precautions that benefit your fellow citizens..

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t want to be misunderstood..
BF153716-31E5-49EF-B8AC-CC9A5B8CE38F.png

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I know, kind of like wearing a seatbelt...at least this isn’t designed for your personal benefit.

A lot of groups of people are overstepping their bounds..we all just gotta keep doing what makes sense and forgetting the rest.

Ever watched two drunk guys having a conservation as the sun is setting? Spit flying everywhere with regular story telling. Doesn’t take coughing or sneezing.

I know someone that starts salivating the better his story gets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread