Coins as hedge against economic collapse.

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
What's the scoop on collecting pennies, nickels as a hedge for if/when the economy collapses?

I've heard copper pennies are worth much more than one cent.
Nickels melt value is 4.7 cents.
Anyone (else) hording these coins as a sort of poor-mans insurance policy?

Looked for this discussion: If it's already been beaten to death, please provide a link to the forum thread.

The following is a joke, not for political purposes.

Covered.jpg

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure am! I have 2 1/2 full coffee jars of real copper pennies.
I figger when the economy collapses, I'll have about twelve bucks to keep me afloat.
Also raising goldfish for food now.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Food, water, ammo and fuel...
When they come for my supplies, I bet they leave the heavy metals behind.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the economy collapses, who do you think you are going to be selling those coins to?

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some old houses had zinc lined "potato drawers" since the metal had anti-microbial properties and the taters lasted longer so stored. Others tossed copper large cents in with the potatoes for copper's anti-microbial properties. Maybe we should save our real copper cents to preserve our vegetables!

OP
OP
UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I don’t understand...we’ve been in the middle of a collapse for some time now.

Yeah, but it seems to be accelerating.

I've saved copper pennies, anything silver, and nickels for a while now.

Not sure I believe it, but back in 1987 I read a prophecy that said one day
a black man will rule the world (Obamma) and the next president will be "appointed"
after which there will be a collapse, followed by the ushering in of
angels, spirit guides and ETs to rule the earth.

I dunno . . . but it sure has me thinking.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
It’s a common assumption that gold and silver prices will fall right along with the market. And if that’s the case, wouldn’t it be better to wait to buy them until after the dust settles? But suppose that the investors have it right and that their precious metals do retain their value.
Not a common assumption, just the opposite is supposed to happen. Metals aren’t typically investments, but a hedge to carry wealth through hard times. Metal prices are rigged through paper contracts.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
In economic depressions, recessions, down turns, market corrections and the rest of the explanations something will always be valued. It's a necessary part of any economic system to have a basis. Gold and diamonds have been the tradition. Some wealthy will own old cars.
They have a base value even though some will use ways to elevate false value, it's only temporary.
I remember the good suit theory where in days gone by an ounce of gold will buy a good suit and it's the same today. A nice Italian cut wool. A good tailor is worth their weight in ..... Maybe include some nice shoes.

Instead of owning gold on paper, maybe a better idea is to own the real thing.
I once worked for a mechanical contractor. I was asked to look at a boiler leak in a basement. The home owner was out of town and he had the neighbors kid looking after the place. The leak was above a beam.When repairing the leak I had to move these 3 paper bags that were very heavy. They had 3 bars of solid silver. I don't know the weight. But I put them back and that was that. Later my boss received a glowing letter of thanks. Later I figured the thanks was that the silver was still there.

That was the first time I had seen actual metal bars. Anyone actually have the real thing?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was the first time I had seen actual metal bars. Anyone actually have the real thing?

Nope, I trade all my gold and silver for bubble gum. You wont find anything made of PMs in my house.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save Copper pennies, and purchase silver on a regular basis with my junk clad coins and paper money.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver coins might be a good hedge. Copper & clad - meh. No more worth than paper currency.

.22 LR ammo would be a great exchange "currency". Small enough to be carried. Useful and long shelf life.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you will have better luck with guns, ammo, alcohol, salt, seeds, basic medical supplies and so on. maybe silver will hold its value but who knows

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
You can't buy your way out of an economic collapse. But if your in good shape, try to stay there.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can still buy them, bags of nickels from the mint. Not only are they worth a little more, but the bags are 22-250 and 7mm mag proof. Several thousand $$ worth years ago. I "prepped" a lot of years ago when most of the S T U F F was a lot cheaper. I just switched mountains.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread