How to find places to detect?

Zadiecat

Greenie
Mar 2, 2017
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm fairly new to detecting I still have alot to learn. I could use some help on how to find places to detect. I'm not sure how to find old house sites or civil war related sites or how to approach getting permission on private property. I'm located in Georgia around bartow county if that helps any. I'd love any advice :)

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to your local library and borrow any book on beginning metal detecting. I will give you all the information to get you started and finding places to detect. Good Luck!

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol books won't help you get permission/find where it is legal to hunt. Start with local parks, check out https://library.municode.com/ga for local ordinances governing MDing/digging in parks. Avoid state and federal parks. Ask your friends if you can detect their yards. If you have a yard start there. Put a post on your social media that you are looking for places to dig. There are also forms available on the forum for seeking formal permission but most people I've talked to are like, sure knock yourself out, show me what you find and fill your holes.

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lol books won't help you get permission/find where it is legal to hunt. Start with local parks, check out https://library.municode.com/ga for local ordinances governing MDing/digging in parks. Avoid state and federal parks. Ask your friends if you can detect their yards. If you have a yard start there. Put a post on your social media that you are looking for places to dig. There are also forms available on the forum for seeking formal permission but most people I've talked to are like, sure knock yourself out, show me what you find and fill your holes.
Nobody said books would do that just a starting point to find places to detect which is true so no need to laugh at someone's suggestion just trying to help

djackson7348

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
North Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. Go to the local library and look through the oldest newspapers for your area that they have. Look for events and gatherings, picnics and fairs. once you see what has taken place and where, you will find tons of places to start hunting. Good luck.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find the oldest plat book you can for the area you wish to hunt, then go on google satelite views and look for the places that have disappeared. This works great for rural farming areas. I use an up to date plat book to see who owens it. Hope this helps and good hunting.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is gonna depend if others near you already read some of the books in your area
but i own over a dozen books from this company of surrounding towns in my area and each one has
old swimming holes -schools - parks etc - some close to 100 yrs old - some no longer used
https://www.arcadiapublishing.com/se...-america-books

i tell new people - use google - search ghost towns - search cellar holes - search old parks etc
when you search google - go to top of page and search google images
search for individual towns around you - search their history - once you get a few ideas
then you need to see where you can do legally - where you might need permission and where you
definitely cant - ask family and friends with old houses or old property - ask co workers
try and find any old place that people gathered - for old picnic days - old fairgrounds - church functions etc
look for old roads no longer in use and research their history - ask people with private property that border historical sites

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use plat books from the late 1800's when I'm hunting in fields, and good old fashioned door knocking for private yards. I just go to an old neighborhood and look at the foundation of the homes. Look for Flagstone, Turtle stone, and Cinder block foundations in that order, Flagstone being the oldest. As others have said, you can use the internet, Library, and talking to the "old timers" to learn a lot.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like most of us started parks, fields, until you get the learning curve on tones and vdi numbers. Then look at old county maps we all have them, study, look for old foundations, woods, coastlines if possible. There my opinion in short good luck

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
Go to Historic Map works . It will over lay a map of your area from 1866- 1930.. Hit the basic program its free. Use the movable icon to the right to bring up the old map onto the new map. Take a pic with your cell phone of your computer screen. Use the satellite map to see if its a field or a detectable area. Drive to the site with your cell phone in hand and ask the property owner about the old house that existed in the field on his property. Show him the picture of his land with the house on it. Now he becomes interested ! He may not know about the house, or he will add a story about the house and who lived there. Ask him with his permission you would enjoy the opportunity to look around the site to kill some time. You will show him what you find and give him some stuff if he wants it. NOW YOU CAN USE HIS NAME FOR OTHER SITES IN THE AREA.. Be polite, do some history checks on his property, ask about what crops he grows, how is the market. Yes posted signs may be everywhere but people are people, just ask and you will make a friend. I have 7500 acres to hunt bordering a major stream just by asking. Good Luck .. Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread