You ever feel like an alien when your detecting
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: You ever feel like an alien when your detecting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    A-Team = Reasearch and Recovery Team. If you don’t care about the past generations of centuries ago, then your current thought of today will always be incomplete, it all matters folks.

Aug 2013
    Steel city
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    551 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

You ever feel like an alien when your detecting

After all these years you would think most people have seen a metal detector or a human being swinging one. But when some see you detecting they look at you like something they should stay away from or come up and talk. Uncomfortable in the public gee whiz any of you get that strange feeling to. I welcome someone come up and talk, other say what do you expect to find, oh never had the authorities called on me, lol. Your opinion why do we look like a foreign substance, these dam detectors been around for long time. Just maybe they should turn off that fake reali tv and learn some history and actually find something that has more significance than that phone or the, thanks

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    69573 times
    Cache Hunting
    You're not alone. I've gotten the look while detecting public parks. I try to go early enough to be alone for awhile then people get up and start stirring around. Then the looks. You get use to it.
    Rebel - KGC and RustyGold like this.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

us
    A-Team = Reasearch and Recovery Team. If you don’t care about the past generations of centuries ago, then your current thought of today will always be incomplete, it all matters folks.

Aug 2013
    Steel city
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    551 times
    Heck with it as long as I’m aloud Ill continue onward swinging my ugly stick. No harm no foul, I look at all those idiots walking in the park can’t even put the phone away, now I think they r sad, what’s the point of resting the mind, point is life is passing them by and to dumb to understand it , no pity from me. They need an unfortunate rude awaking as this aweful virus and to have government tell you what to do and limit your madness of spinning like a top out of control,
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    17347 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Here's what the little voice in their head said "Just look at that creepy guy/old fart/or 100 other names, listening to the dirt, what a weirdo". Yes we all get those, or the group of young ones that get so close you have a hard time swinging the coil and can't see what's in the hole, due to the 3 or 4 little heads that are in the way. The most time consuming ones are those new to this hobby. They will talk your ear off if you let them. I tend to stay away from the masses and hunt public property, parks,& schools during off hours.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

us

Aug 2013
    Steel city
    551 times
    Yeah I don’t get paranoid by no means, however if they approach me I would be glad to educate them on the excitement they can have with this hobby, understand relics and meaning of history and the monumental task to survive by these relatives of yours called early settlers. Most where farmers before industry and jobs came along. So. Imagine living off the land and not knowing how your crops are going to grow to eat and survive, well this is what should be taught in school, more dam important than some of these subjects most will never use, thankyou
    Loco-Digger and RustyGold like this.

I'm an early bird, and like to get out before the people. I have encountered people walking who just ask from afar, "finding anything" ? I will usually just respond back " not yet, I just got started" and they keep going. I would have conversation with someone if they approached me, but I don't encourage them by telling them I just found 3 silver coins.

us
    Can you dig it.

Dec 2016
    NH
    Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT------- Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
    1435 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Beaches is where I get the most people asking questions. What are you looking for, whats the most valuable thing youve found, how much does a detector cost "these days". How does it work. Etc

I had a foreign (to USA) lady come up to me last year when I was in a park in massachusetts, right as I was pulling an IHP out of the hole. In broken English she says Oooo what is it. And I said an old penny. And she stick out her hand, like. Hey let me see it!

I put it in her hand. I hadnt even cleaned it yet. No problem for her! She was here to help! She spits right on my coin and starts rubbing it with her fingers. She does this for a second and says Old Coin! And hands it back. I had gloves on so I threw it in the pouch. If this happened during this epidemic id say Its yours now lady.

us
    "Life's A Garden, Dig It!" -Joe Dirt

Jan 2009
    Fairchance, Pennsylvania
    Minelab Equinox 600 + Garrett Pro-Pointer AP
    262 times
    Metal Detecting
    Most people around here think I'm with the gas company looking for stuff.
    Rebel - KGC and RustyGold like this.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2889 times
    Had a set of genuine "My Favorite Martian" antennas back in the 70s. Used to pop em on every once in awhile. You think you've seen weird looks!?!?! Another one was to put our ball caps on upside down. Believe it or not that got more weird looks than the martian antennas I think. Oh! Forgot my buddy used to shout booga booga at hisloop every few minutes. Saw many mothers leading their kids away from him!

Ya just gotta have fun with it!!!!!!!
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

us
    Ed

Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
    3250 times
    Metal Detecting
    Let 'em laugh......people tend to make fun of things that they can't have. Less competition......

us
    Jan 2020
    Western Wisconsin
    Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Fisher F44
    21 times
    You didn't mention what she was wearing, I mean, it being a beach and all. Inquiring minds want to know. ;-)

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "The Bay of the Holy Spirit” - La Flo Rida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    61095 times
    No... but I a had an alien feel like me when I let it metal detect.
    RustyGold likes this.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Charter Member

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    14455 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by SultansOfSwing View Post
    Beaches is where I get the most people asking questions. What are you looking for, whats the most valuable thing youve found, how much does a detector cost "these days". How does it work. Etc

I had a foreign (to USA) lady come up to me last year when I was in a park in massachusetts, right as I was pulling an IHP out of the hole. In broken English she says Oooo what is it. And I said an old penny. And she stick out her hand, like. Hey let me see it!

I put it in her hand. I hadnt even cleaned it yet. No problem for her! She was here to help! She spits right on my coin and starts rubbing it with her fingers. She does this for a second and says Old Coin! And hands it back. I had gloves on so I threw it in the pouch. If this happened during this epidemic id say Its yours now lady.
    Hope I’m there when you find a gold coin
    RustyGold likes this.
    Iím the only one of me, baby thatís the fun of me.. / brendon urie

DONíT TRUST WHITEY / Navin Johnson

EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT, EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE OK.
    ITS GONNA BE A GOOD GOOD LIFE, THATíS WHAT MY THERAPISTS SAY. / Bebe rexha

IF YOUíRE LOST AND ALONE, OR YOUíRE SINKING LIKE A STONE, CARRY ON / Fun

AND IN THE END THE LOVE YOU TAKE IS EQUAL TO THE LOVE YOU MAKE. - Paul mccartney

us
    Nov 2015
    Western USA
    Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Sea Hunter MKII, Infinium LS, Scorpion GS, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
    527 times
    I've been metal detecting since around the age of 7, and all these years later I would say that not much has changed when it comes to others... You get the odd looks from some people, wondering what you are doing, others come up and start asking what you're looking for, or if you've found anything (even though I am wearing headphones), and then there are kids that love to run up (walking way too close to the detector for my comfort when I'm digging) to see what I am digging up, with tons of questions, and the occasional odd look from someone who has never seen a metal detector or thinks you're odd for digging up coins for hours. Others are too busy looking at their phones to even notice you.

When out in the desert searching for gold nuggets or meteorites I rarely encounter anyone, but have had a few odd looks from the occasional rabbit.

Over the years I've learned to ignore any odd looks or stares and focus on the search, and then you're in the zone and you quickly realize what others think doesn't matter; good finds and good times with fresh air is what matters.
    Money may not grow on trees, but it's often found under them!

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    Southern California
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus
    9286 times
    People look at us weird when we metal detect?
    Last edited by RustyGold; Mar 29, 2020 at 10:01 PM.
    SD51 likes this.

ďStrive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.Ē
    Ė Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links