You ever feel like an alien when your detecting

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After all these years you would think most people have seen a metal detector or a human being swinging one. But when some see you detecting they look at you like something they should stay away from or come up and talk. Uncomfortable in the public gee whiz any of you get that strange feeling to. I welcome someone come up and talk, other say what do you expect to find, oh never had the authorities called on me, lol. Your opinion why do we look like a foreign substance, these dam detectors been around for long time. Just maybe they should turn off that fake reali tv and learn some history and actually find something that has more significance than that phone or the, thanks

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You're not alone. I've gotten the look while detecting public parks. I try to go early enough to be alone for awhile then people get up and start stirring around. Then the looks. You get use to it.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck with it as long as I’m aloud Ill continue onward swinging my ugly stick. No harm no foul, I look at all those idiots walking in the park can’t even put the phone away, now I think they r sad, what’s the point of resting the mind, point is life is passing them by and to dumb to understand it , no pity from me. They need an unfortunate rude awaking as this aweful virus and to have government tell you what to do and limit your madness of spinning like a top out of control,

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's what the little voice in their head said "Just look at that creepy guy/old fart/or 100 other names, listening to the dirt, what a weirdo". Yes we all get those, or the group of young ones that get so close you have a hard time swinging the coil and can't see what's in the hole, due to the 3 or 4 little heads that are in the way. The most time consuming ones are those new to this hobby. They will talk your ear off if you let them. I tend to stay away from the masses and hunt public property, parks,& schools during off hours.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I don’t get paranoid by no means, however if they approach me I would be glad to educate them on the excitement they can have with this hobby, understand relics and meaning of history and the monumental task to survive by these relatives of yours called early settlers. Most where farmers before industry and jobs came along. So. Imagine living off the land and not knowing how your crops are going to grow to eat and survive, well this is what should be taught in school, more dam important than some of these subjects most will never use, thankyou

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an early bird, and like to get out before the people. I have encountered people walking who just ask from afar, "finding anything" ? I will usually just respond back " not yet, I just got started" and they keep going. I would have conversation with someone if they approached me, but I don't encourage them by telling them I just found 3 silver coins.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beaches is where I get the most people asking questions. What are you looking for, whats the most valuable thing youve found, how much does a detector cost "these days". How does it work. Etc

I had a foreign (to USA) lady come up to me last year when I was in a park in massachusetts, right as I was pulling an IHP out of the hole. In broken English she says Oooo what is it. And I said an old penny. And she stick out her hand, like. Hey let me see it!

I put it in her hand. I hadnt even cleaned it yet. No problem for her! She was here to help! She spits right on my coin and starts rubbing it with her fingers. She does this for a second and says Old Coin! And hands it back. I had gloves on so I threw it in the pouch. If this happened during this epidemic id say Its yours now lady.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a set of genuine "My Favorite Martian" antennas back in the 70s. Used to pop em on every once in awhile. You think you've seen weird looks!?!?! Another one was to put our ball caps on upside down. Believe it or not that got more weird looks than the martian antennas I think. Oh! Forgot my buddy used to shout booga booga at hisloop every few minutes. Saw many mothers leading their kids away from him!

Ya just gotta have fun with it!!!!!!!

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let 'em laugh......people tend to make fun of things that they can't have. Less competition......

CmonNow

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2020
Western Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett AT Max,
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't mention what she was wearing, I mean, it being a beach and all. Inquiring minds want to know. ;-)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No... but I a had an alien feel like me when I let it metal detect.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beaches is where I get the most people asking questions. What are you looking for, whats the most valuable thing youve found, how much does a detector cost "these days". How does it work. Etc

I had a foreign (to USA) lady come up to me last year when I was in a park in massachusetts, right as I was pulling an IHP out of the hole. In broken English she says Oooo what is it. And I said an old penny. And she stick out her hand, like. Hey let me see it!

I put it in her hand. I hadnt even cleaned it yet. No problem for her! She was here to help! She spits right on my coin and starts rubbing it with her fingers. She does this for a second and says Old Coin! And hands it back. I had gloves on so I threw it in the pouch. If this happened during this epidemic id say Its yours now lady.

Hope I’m there when you find a gold coin

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been metal detecting since around the age of 7, and all these years later I would say that not much has changed when it comes to others... You get the odd looks from some people, wondering what you are doing, others come up and start asking what you're looking for, or if you've found anything (even though I am wearing headphones), and then there are kids that love to run up (walking way too close to the detector for my comfort when I'm digging) to see what I am digging up, with tons of questions, and the occasional odd look from someone who has never seen a metal detector or thinks you're odd for digging up coins for hours. Others are too busy looking at their phones to even notice you.

When out in the desert searching for gold nuggets or meteorites I rarely encounter anyone, but have had a few odd looks from the occasional rabbit.

Over the years I've learned to ignore any odd looks or stares and focus on the search, and then you're in the zone and you quickly realize what others think doesn't matter; good finds and good times with fresh air is what matters.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started detecting I the late 80’s I ended up quitting because I didn’t like people staring. But thanks to being forty years older and TV shows that have made detecting less of a oddity, no one pays attention anymore.

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I have had many instances hunting in the woods and people see me and turn the other way. Probably think I am burying a body or something, lol. I had an old couple call the park ranger on me, they said I was carrying a gun. Must of thought I was hunting gophers or something. Park ranger walks up and says I could tell you were detecting from a hundred yards, "find anything??"

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
never have gotten that feeling. But I have never worried about what people think about me. Kids are the best. They ask honest questions and are very curious. One young girl's mom warned me that she would talk my head off. She was about 8 and ask so many intelligent questions about metal detecting. Lately I hunt mostly Civil War relics so I am not where the public sees me.

diggerdeeper

Nov 16, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & 'Nox 800, XP Deus, Nokta Fors/Cor
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago, I had a guy come up and watch me detect for a little while. After a couple of minutes he said- "my brother has one of those". I said- "oh yeah? what kind does he have ?"
He said " a GAS powered one" .

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone stops and talks to me, I try to keep it short. If it continues, I ask them if I can detect their property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread