Looking for new detector for non rookie.

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Hey guys i need some help. I have been detecting for the last 30 years however i have taken some years off. I want to get back into it. I currently own a XLT and was thinking about getting a DFX, but reviews say it’s still a good machine but not as hot as today’s detectors. So with all that said what would be something comparable to today’s machines. I would like to stick to whites but would consider a mine lab. I think the V3 would be to much for me. I mainly just hunt for coins and jewelry. But mainly coins.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab Etrac is comparable to the Whites V3i in my opinion. I have the DFX, V3i, and the Etrac. The Etrac is easier to learn than the V3i and in my opinion, much better than the DFX. I love my Etrac and wouldn't hesitate to purchase a new one if my current machine dies.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep the etrac is hot on Silver coins. I find one fault in it though,, water. I always look to the sky before taking it out. I got rainwater in the control box once and it took 2 days to dry out. If that were salt water, it would have been fried.
Depending on your budget, you may want to consider the CTX. It is the weapon of choice in NYC Parks. After specials, you should be able to get one for $1,500.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to look at the Equinox 800. If I didn't have an XP Deus the 800 would be my weapon of choice.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
Did you download the V3i manual from Whites website to check out? It's just an XLT on steroids. The MX sport is nice as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions