New Simplex Owner

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Simplex+ two days ago and took it out today Saturday. It's a great step-up from my Sears branded 1978(?) White's 5000!

But... I have some questions:

First- I had more difficulty locating my targets and found myself digging larger holes- Does everyone changing from concentric to DD coils have pinpointing-accuracy issues? Can anyone give me tips/better pinpointing techniques for DDs or the Simplex?
Also, I found myself digging more aluminum and iron than I liked. Maybe because I was willing to dig any time I saw an above 62 ID, even if it was a mixed IDs- like lows with one high in them, or maybe a high that was almost too low? So maybe I was thinking it was 'unmasking' mixed targets too often, so I still dug.
I saw a video (that led me here) with advice to 'Heel/Toe', 'Edge-Test' and 'Lift the Coil' to prevent false ID (AFTER I got home- LOL!) Are there any other 'false ID' practices & tests that you guys can share with me?
And lastly, do you think it would be a good idea to 'Notch out' any ranges, when Coin-shooting in a park? If so which ones?

I DID find $1.58 in change, and 7 of the coins were dimes- but no nickels tho. Someone said the Simplex doesn't find nickels well?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what brand a Simplex is but check out the detector section on the metal detecting board. I haven’t used your particular machine but whenever I have gotten a new one I always head to a sand or wood chip playground to practice with it. There are usually quite a few targets, they are shallow and the digging is much easier. Also if you don’t have a pinpointer you really need to get one. I like the Garrett best and digging targets is just so much easier with it.

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have any experience with concentric coils, so I can't speak to the experience of switch from one of those to a DD. But I do have experience with pinpointing. My previous machine was an ATMax, and I ALWAYS had trouble figuring out how big to make the plug.

When I started with the Simplex, it took a bit of trial and error to narrow down the sweet spot on the coil, which, in my case at least, seems to be about an inch to 3 inches up from the center of the coil, depending on target size. Now, with a couple exceptions, I've been able to center in on it really consistently. More so than with the Nox 800, even!

As for nickels, I'm not sure where you heard it has trouble with them. Before everything shut down, I hit up a local elementary school, and was pulling out nicks left and right; they always rang up as a 25/26.

Stick with it, though, it's an awesome machine! IMG_20200317_184430.jpeg

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just go the old fashioned way, sweep over the target from east to west, then again from north to south. Mentally mark that spot and then try to pinpoint, this should help you find the sweet spot of the coil.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can also turn the coil on the edge and just sweeping the edge of the coil over the target

OP
OP
C

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input guys! I got to go 'hunting' just a short time today and I did (some) better- 5 coins, with only 3 aluminum cans, two bottle caps and a really long, thick nail. I'm hoping to get more familiar with the pinpointing and IDs, tho I realize none of them are ever perfect. All-in-all I'm very pleased with the Simplex and (hopefully) will be able to take our vacation in Florida (IF COVID-19 settles down) and hunt on the beach after dark. Any advice for that endeavor is welcomed!

OP
OP
C

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have any experience with concentric coils, so I can't speak to the experience of switch from one of those to a DD. But I do have experience with pinpointing. My previous machine was an ATMax, and I ALWAYS had trouble figuring out how big to make the plug.

When I started with the Simplex, it took a bit of trial and error to narrow down the sweet spot on the coil, which, in my case at least, seems to be about an inch to 3 inches up from the center of the coil, depending on target size. Now, with a couple exceptions, I've been able to center in on it really consistently. More so than with the Nox 800, even!

As for nickels, I'm not sure where you heard it has trouble with them. Before everything shut down, I hit up a local elementary school, and was pulling out nicks left and right; they always rang up as a 25/26.

Stick with it, though, it's an awesome machine! View attachment 1816098

Thanks for the encouragement CJayC! I will try to find MY 'crosshairs' and tighten my digs. I KNEW I shoulda made a cheat-sheet when I air tested the Simplex in my front yard. I'll bet I've missed a LOT of nickels! Hoping that I can learn to separate the signals so I don't dig too much aluminum, but don't want to miss nickels or (worse) a gold ring!

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Simplex+ two days ago and took it out today Saturday. It's a great step-up from my Sears branded 1978(?) White's 5000!

But... I have some questions:

First- I had more difficulty locating my targets and found myself digging larger holes- Does everyone changing from concentric to DD coils have pinpointing-accuracy issues? Can anyone give me tips/better pinpointing techniques for DDs or the Simplex?
Also, I found myself digging more aluminum and iron than I liked. Maybe because I was willing to dig any time I saw an above 62 ID, even if it was a mixed IDs- like lows with one high in them, or maybe a high that was almost too low? So maybe I was thinking it was 'unmasking' mixed targets too often, so I still dug.
I saw a video (that led me here) with advice to 'Heel/Toe', 'Edge-Test' and 'Lift the Coil' to prevent false ID (AFTER I got home- LOL!) Are there any other 'false ID' practices & tests that you guys can share with me?
And lastly, do you think it would be a good idea to 'Notch out' any ranges, when Coin-shooting in a park? If so which ones?

I DID find $1.58 in change, and 7 of the coins were dimes- but no nickels tho. Someone said the Simplex doesn't find nickels well?

First off... Welcome to TNet!!! Lot's of info here... just have to look.

The Edge-Test can be somewhat confusing to get used to at first and, IMO, you might want to wait until you become more familiar with the machine.

Lifting the Coil will actually give you a better idea if the Target is a large target. If you have the coil 4 to 6 inches off the ground getting high TIDs and Medium to High Tones, it is most likely a big piece of Iron - from I to 3 inches, it's probably a smaller target. The Simplex is quite sensitive to Rusty Iron which causes a Halo Effect - this will give you Medium / High Tones and very jumpy TIDs (I've gotten 14 to 99 TIDs on very rusty Iron pieces which drove me nuts until I figured out what was going on).

The link below is a Thread that I started a while back. It will lead you through my efforts to get used to the Simplex. My first post on the Thread I'm being somewhat facetious as well as throwing in a bit of a rant.

Further down the Thread you will see where I started getting used to the Simplex. I even list TIDs that I was getting on different metals.

Have a look and if you have any questions, ask.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/n...-why-simplex-developed-manufactured-s-so.html

More testing is coming when I can get the time to lay out my test bed. It's going to be a while due to the current situation - soon as things calm down a bit, I will pick up the needed supplies at the hardware store.

Here's the Sweet Spot on my Coil - Red Dot.
Simplex Coil Sweet Spot_0001.JPG

Hope this helps you some. Oh yeah, what Loco-Digger said. :)

Cheers.
-DH-

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off... Welcome to TNet!!! Lot's of info here... just have to look.

The Edge-Test can be somewhat confusing to get used to at first and, IMO, you might want to wait until you become more familiar with the machine.

Lifting the Coil will actually give you a better idea if the Target is a large target. If you have the coil 4 to 6 inches off the ground getting high TIDs and Medium to High Tones, it is most likely a big piece of Iron - from I to 3 inches, it's probably a smaller target. The Simplex is quite sensitive to Rusty Iron which causes a Halo Effect - this will give you Medium / High Tones and very jumpy TIDs (I've gotten 14 to 99 TIDs on very rusty Iron pieces which drove me nuts until I figured out what was going on).

The link below is a Thread that I started a while back. It will lead you through my efforts to get used to the Simplex. My first post on the Thread I'm being somewhat facetious as well as throwing in a bit of a rant.

Further down the Thread you will see where I started getting used to the Simplex. I even list TIDs that I was getting on different metals.

Have a look and if you have any questions, ask.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/n...-why-simplex-developed-manufactured-s-so.html

More testing is coming when I can get the time to lay out my test bed. It's going to be a while due to the current situation - soon as things calm down a bit, I will pick up the needed supplies at the hardware store.

Here's the Sweet Spot on my Coil - Red Dot.
View attachment 1816332

Hope this helps you some. Oh yeah, what Loco-Digger said. :)

Cheers.
-DH-

Thank you sir! I'll be looking at your thread!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread