Who likes old overall & work clothes buttons? Do you have a collection?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It has been cold and rainy today, so I took this opportunity to tumble one of my cans of work clothes & overall buttons that I have dug over the years.
Most of them were so cruddy, it was hard to make out their details. Here is the end result of this batch. I have more in the tumbler right now.

Attachments

• 1C7A163D-6D03-4C21-94D8-E185048C5B1D.jpg
    1C7A163D-6D03-4C21-94D8-E185048C5B1D.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 77
  • 89942D45-6ED4-4BDA-A911-858BDBBBFF88.jpeg
    89942D45-6ED4-4BDA-A911-858BDBBBFF88.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 52

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes thats alot of buttons thats a cool display case for em. I ve been sheltered in place for a while cleaned my house up and down ,now Im working on my trans am thats sat in my Garage for 12 years. Im not one to sit at home maybe on a weekend but not like this. Good time to do stuff like that those are some cool buttons lots of history and alot of work finding em. Stay safe my friend keep posting em Tommy

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Tommy .. Judging by the view/comment ratio, it looks like you are one of the very few that likes this type of button! :hello:

Post a photo of your TransAm.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, I sure like seeing them all together. I love the train pictures. I have an older style Lee button I'm waiting to see if you have a match. You have copies of the rest of mine. Nicely done!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful case. Those cleaned up nice. I wonder if some are area specific? I really like the one with the baby face on it and I noticed several had a train on them which I've found but they say The Knocker. DEF underrated IMO!!! Thank ya for the show!!!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good morning Rob! I found a heart shaped overall snap like yours down in NC in a cotton field. After some research I found out it was a very early Carhartt snap. Hence a "car in a heart" :icon_thumright:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's a pic of the snap complete with cotton from the same field carhartt 015.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That worked out very, very nice. I have only found a few ever, I generally don't do 20th century sites, so don't find many.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That worked out very, very nice. I have only found a few ever, I generally don't do 20th century sites, so don't find many.

Over the past 50+ years, I have hunted countless agricultural associated sites, especially in the eastern shore areas of Maryland and Virginia, as well as orchards and farms. They still rank among my favorite places to hunt. The thrill of finding picker's tokens, orchard tags and tokens, pocket knives, work clothes buttons, suspender buckles and clips, etc has never wained a bit for me. I still love it!

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are amazing! I am a button 'flipper', but I dig them from tins and button bins. ;^) I have a soft spot for the work buttons. My favorites are the Vegetable Ivory work buttons. It's hard to believe those are detecting finds! What tumbling media do you use? Walnut shells? I have a tumbler with grit for rocks and some plastic pellets for polishing. I never thought to try it on my buttons! Although I wouldn't use the grit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are amazing! I am a button 'flipper', but I dig them from tins and button bins. ;^) I have a soft spot for the work buttons. My favorites are the Vegetable Ivory work buttons. It's hard to believe those are detecting finds! What tumbling media do you use? Walnut shells? I have a tumbler with grit for rocks and some plastic pellets for polishing. I never thought to try it on my buttons! Although I wouldn't use the grit.

I use 2 parts of Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser to one part 1000 Silicon Carbide grit.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like all buttons. I have found a few overall ones but I keep them in different frames or boxes specific to the site they came from. I got hooked on Great Seal Buttons and have been putting a collection of different back marks together. I started off hot but now that I have the more common ones it is getting harder to find different ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions