Metal detecting hobby always work in progress, learning, listening, lifelong hobby

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like fishing spots we always looking for them, same with this hobby, somedays u go to same spot u find stuff and others nothing. It’s nice to belong to a local club, information is valuable and friendly folks to. Internet will only tell you so much,especially your hometown, you have to go explore the areas yourself then take a deep breathe look around. I’m not like my friend he’s much better but he tries to teach me different things. Example in woods, you see where the old road where, possibly train tracks, foundations you can see yourself most of time, flat rocks, bricks etc. oh if I may just me clubs are great however you don’t go hunting in big groups often, being that said if you find 1 or 2 friends you can trust then you got it made. Please understand we like sharing information but if you put in many hours of reading and maps and much more it only makes sense to keep certain places exclusive, that’s not being mean but some can’t understand, you gonna tell people a great fishing hole after it took you work to discover, think not. End of day we help each yep. You find a good trustworthy person to detect great. We all get a mindset quick gratification, folks you better slow down your life is passing you by fast, explore god’s world, shut the tv and phone off. My philosophy is you have to work to live, but I don’t live for work. This is a hobby no doctor can give, piece of mind that I can promise, thankyou I hope this helps in someway

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's very relaxing to go hunting in a farm field, sometime you find something good; sometimes not, but always relaxing....think I'll go out today 50 degree day! :icon_thumleft:

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding a good, trustworthy hunting partner is not that easy, I was hunting with a partner for about 6-7 years, when they drained the local lake, that evening at our club meeting he stood up and announced it, the next day I had to go to work and after Work went there and it looked like it was carpet bombed there was so many dig holes. Ends up four retired guys from the club went there the next morning and cleaned it out. The club meets in a town 50 miles away so they would not have known about it if he had not said anything about it, so needless to say I don’t hunt hunt with him anymore and it was all I could do not to beat him up! This lake always produces gold and silver jewelry along with the usual coins. So lesson learned if you get a good spot keep your mouth shut! Good luck!

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you, and metal detecting is a life-long hobby; I've been searching since around the age of 7. Nothing beats a day of detecting and enjoying fresh air and never knowing what you will find. Within minutes of putting on my headphones any stress or other nonsense goes away. And even after 40 years of detecting, I still learn new things every time I go out!

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I agree - metal detecting is a life long - life style hobby.
The learning curve never ends - that's why this hobby never gets boring.

Where ever you go, your always looking at yards around old houses and wondering - what's in the ground ?
It's a like a "mini vacation" after work or during your time off - really clears your head of day to day things.
This hobby also puts you in touch with the way people lived years ago and can often result in some heart stopping - fantastic finds.
Every hole is like opening a Christmas present.

Also - unlike hunting & fishing, there's are no closed seasons - no licenses required and you can hunt solo whenever you want.
No hassle setup time- you can be out of your car and swinging in a few minutes - bad weather, tired or getting dark - you can pack up an leave just as fast.
Easily transportable - if you want to - you can take all your MD gear with you anywhere in the world.

Good Hunting !

Last edited:

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello 49er12. Read what you said and wholeheartedly agree. I am 52, worked and been self sufficient since was 18. Worked my tail off as a military vet, mechanic and trucker. About 2 months ago my life changed when I finally put down my killer work ethic, family is raised now, and put more energy into my favorite hobby, metal detecting and history. Reading books, researching, Omaha history and just basically all history. Dug up my first old silver today in 9years, a 1902 barber dime. I feel the energy. Its my second job now. Dont like cell phones or tv. We are a special breed, and need to influence the younger generation to do the same !

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello 49er12. Read what you said and wholeheartedly agree. I am 52, worked and been self sufficient since was 18. Worked my tail off as a military vet, mechanic and trucker. About 2 months ago my life changed when I finally put down my killer work ethic, family is raised now, and put more energy into my favorite hobby, metal detecting and history. Reading books, researching, Omaha history and just basically all history. Dug up my first old silver today in 9years, a 1902 barber dime. I feel the energy. Its my second job now. Dont like cell phones or tv. We are a special breed, and need to influence the younger generation to do the same !

Bless you sir, I hope you get a chance to reap the many rewards of detecting mainly the peace of mind, good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread