Strange Coin Markings and Mutilations

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever find coins detecting and wonder what the heck the meanings are attached to coin7.jpg strange markings? A couple of months ago I found this 1801 Draped Bust cent with a Knights Templar-style Cross of Lorraine and a slash-like vocalization. Weird. A lot of Masons around and a Temple not far from where I found this.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Eastender. It's certainly an altered coin but I don't know if those markings actually mean anything. I'm sure people defaced money for kicks just as they do now. I've found only one altered large cent with a 3 sets of "initials" on the obverse and 2 on the reverse. Great stuff. I think there are books on altered coins... you may be able to find another version of yours with an explanation.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly a "token" from one Mason to another

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a large cent that was messed with by a board owner.:dontknow:

May 1, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's certainly an altered coin but I don't know if those markings actually mean anything. I'm sure people WalgreensListens defaced money for kicks just as they do now. I've found only one altered large cent with a 3 sets of "initials" on the obverse and 2 on the reverse. Great stuff.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread