What was detecting like 50 years ago??? I just found out....

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
I was curious what detecting back in the BFO days was like. So I picked this D-TEX up dirt cheap on the bay --- it cost the poor seller more to mail it to me than he made in total. I had my doubts it would even work because that's the way it was pitched. Not to mention that it showed signs of being mishandled in it's USPS journey. The headphone plug has a plastic housing that was missing a big piece I later found in the box. And hey, the entire rig is roughly 50 years old give or take a few....

It fired right up though with a single alkaline 9V with sound coming from both ears (no speaker). As a first time BFO user the biggest adjustment I had to make was that instead of a silent threshold the goal is to turn the "Balance" knob to find a constant loud whirring. Even with the volume control/ "On" switch this gets irritating after while. The second major adjustment was although it weighs only around 3 pounds the ergonomics of swinging it really fatigues your arm. Maybe after enough use with the 7" coil I can use the 24" x 12" coil shown...? Lol

Anyway, I decided the best place to test it out was at a sandy local tot lot. Didn't want to do any heavy digging the first time. For the uninitiated the constant whirring I mentioned above changes pitch and tone when crossing over metal. The shift is very subtle which is the third major thing I had to get used to. It's more pronounced for quarters than dimes or pennies and of course on cross bars etc it's really clear and obvious. Target size and depth for smaller coins are what takes the most practice I think. Who knows, I may have missed a diamond engagement ring because I can't imagine that making much of a sound.

The pictured ad's bold claim that it detects the iron flecks in paper money seems ridiculous, but I've read posts that old timers swear it's true. I can vouch for the "No Drift" claim as I only had to adjust it a few times which was less than I expected. The coils were sold separately for this machine which got cut off in the picture. The 7" inch would've set you back $19.99 in 1970 dollars or about $120 in today's dollars. The much larger 24" x 12" coil would've cost $32 or about $192 today. The headphones another $10 or $60. And the machine itself $82.50 or just under $500. So in today's money this would've been the equivalent of close to $900.

The fourth major adjustment I had to make is that you literally are digging everything as pictured. Some advise doing the same today using even the most advanced detectors available.... Beside the junk and the $1.12, I found a new level of respect for the legendary manufacturer of this machine --- Bill Mahan and other T-Hers of the era like KVM, Garrett, "Hardrock" Hendricks, "Apache Jim" Wilson etc. etc. At one point when BFO machines were the best thing going they took rudimentary technology and turned it into some astonishing finds and made livings as professionals. Some on here have argued that BFOs are underrated even now. As for me, I've done worse than a $1.12 in more time than 2 & 1/2 hours with more advanced machines....
If any experienced D-TEX users want to weigh in on tuning this thing for maximum performance with both coils, I'm all ears....
HH
-spyguy

Attachments

• D-Tex Machine.jpg
    D-Tex Machine.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 66
  • D-Tex ad.jpg
    D-Tex ad.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Finds 4-17-20.jpg
    Finds 4-17-20.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 59

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I give you credit for setting out on that adventure I think it's really cool the fact that you were able to find some stuff is pretty impressive keep us posted

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's it take for batteries?

50ish years ago I got a kit to make a detector from Radio Shack as a gift. The coil was a printed circuit panel - and the Achilies Heel. First scratch broke the circuit. I was able to repair it a couple times.

Actually worked . . . after a fashion. I did find a few coins and LOTS of trash.

This is the one
Vintage-Radio-Shack-Science-Fair-Metal-Locator-Kit.jpg

Last edited:

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...instead of a silent threshold the goal is to turn the "Balance" knob to find a constant loud whirring.

Actually, you want a very slow puttering sound. You'll more easily hear subtle changes in pitch than if you have it idling at a higher rate.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
My uncle had an old BFO back in the late 60s through the 70s. I was pretty small kids then. When we at his farm in Brownsburg Indiana we would detect around the old barns and chicken coops, in the woods along the fence rows and such. Never found much but it made an impression on me.

He would talk about tall tales of loot being found in post hole banks put there during the depression when he was young.

I can relate to the sound of the detector your talking about.

No advice on tuning, its been too many long years ago for me to remember that tool.

Good luck.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to turn back time and detect 50 years ago I would never come home and be piling the silver up

goochas

Greenie
Apr 14, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos for going old-school and taking the dinosaur out! Very cool indeed.

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's it take for batteries?

50ish years ago I got a kit to make a detector from Radio Shack as a gift. The coil was a printed circuit panel - and the Achilies Heel. First scratch broke the circuit. I was able to repair it a couple times.

Actually worked . . . after a fashion. I did find a few coins and LOTS of trash.

This is the one
View attachment 1824546

I was a radio shack junky I have to admit....

My grandmother must have bought me at least 6 kits of various types. As an adult I would hit it the place at least 2-3x a month. Always bought a pack batteries to justify being there. Always walked out with some type of gadget.

Still a gadget freak but mostly online shopping. Occasional Best Buy shopper for big ticket items.

OP
OP
S

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
Actually, you want a very slow puttering sound. You'll more easily hear subtle changes in pitch than if you have it idling at a higher rate.
Control Box.jpg
First of all, thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I especially enjoyed the "back in the day" stories --- great stuff!!

Carl-NC,
Thanks for your troubleshooting! Unfortunately, after playing around with the 'Balance" I couldn't find anywhere on the dial that corresponds to what you're describing as a "very slow puttering sound." The notch is set near the "B" where I set it the other day with a high whirring sound and a corresponding higher response --- though subtle. When I turn it to the right I get a lower whirring sound with only the faintest response. Everywhere else on the dial is like a dead zone.... Maybe what you're describing came later in Garrett BFOs or Whites etc...? I just don't know enough about vintage machines to say. Wish I could find a manual somewhere on the internet, but no such luck.
HH
-spyguy

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I would love to turn back time and detect 50 years ago I would never come home and be piling the silver up

I did and silver did pile up. I did go home too.:laughing7:

To many dids. What I did I still do,but not piling the silvers like I did years ago.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started detecting in '70, fifty years ago. I don't remember the brand but my first detector had a bright blue coil about five inches in diameter. A BFO. One of my first hunt areas was the bottom of a sledding hill in Milwaukee, George Hansen Golf Course. Ok, technically, Wauwatosa, but you probably never heard of 'Tosa so I said Milwaukee. Anyway, being a good place to hunt, I got many coins. Many trash items too but pulltabs had not yet been invented so it wasn't too bad. That hill is now very overgrown with six foot high weeds so no one hunts it anymore. I ENDURED the trash because this novel idea that I could find money so easily outweighed the inconvenience! ╦╦C

(edit) Pulltabs were invented in 1962. I don't remember finding too many back then in '70.

Last edited:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first detector was a BFO. I built it from plans in an electronic mag about 52 years ago.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
i used a whites bfo way back when, seems i had to adjust the balance/trim
on the whites you wanted no sound, until you hit metal, it fell off the truck
was useless after all the bouncing and down the hill, found a Generic BFO
Manual that garrett made, and a short video on that balance trim thing
its been a long time, not sure balance/trim is the term LOL
Wayback Machine

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
use to find lots of this,was young and dumb didnt keep it all, until the mid 80s
coinstar find 2mo. ago

IMG_20200418_161452.jpg

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is not true. A slow putt-putt will not give maximum performance, you have to run it at a low buzz. I started in 1970 with a Garrett BFO and hunted for many years with it and was quite good at understanding what it was telling me. Spyguy, sadly you are only getting the feel of using an old machine, you are not ever going to get the real 1970s hunting experience. In 1970 most all sites were virgin or little hunted. I and two friends would hit an older school and all three would go home with 20-30 silver coins EACH. Go back the next day and do the same thing. We all had pint jars full of silver after the first summer detecting. Another thing, those BFOs have NO problem finding gold chains. That big coil you have is useless unless you hunt large deep targets, it is a cache hunting coil. I hope you have some fun with it, they will find anything metal down to 6-8" on a coin size target in good soil. The main drawback here was there are some areas here with a lot of iron ore in the ground (hot ground) and you can't tune a BFO to penetrate such hot soil.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I started in 1976. Compass and Garrettt ....hunted coins and civil war. We dug every signal. No use of discrimination. We were very successful finding relics on georgia battlefields and camps ...

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread will bring out the over 50 years-detecting dinosaurs. Poof .... Me too. The BFO was standard issue in the 60s. The slow puttering makes you live longer!

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I have experienced this era in the fact that I hit areas in the early 90's that have been combed over by the 60's, 70's, and 80's hobbyists. I may have recovered what they missed, but they have gotten the most fruits. The future hobbyists will stil have some excitement for the dedicated.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
40+ yrs ago
1977 age 14 - I used a TR machine - BFO was not for me
Compass 94B - my first seated quarter 1857
meearly.jpg earlyfinds.jpg
other find is a medal for an 1880s big wheel bike race (penny-farthing)

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Casper, by 1977 the TR technology had improved to the point where BFOs were becoming extinct. I kept my trusty BFO though since I had really learned it well. No true discrimination but I could often tell what the target would be from the sound before I dug it out. One thing that Garrett BFO had really going for it was pinpointing. With the Garrett dual coils you would hunt on larger coil and to pinpoint switch to the small coil with the flick of a switch. Also got depth probabilities since the small coil would not hit as deep as the large coil so you knew target was deeper if it rang good while on big coil but disappeared when trying to pinpoint with the small coil. My buddy moved up to TR from BFO and the TR with it's solid coil was harder to pinpoint with. Of course there were no DD coils back then so the wiggle was out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread