Electrolysis on my artifacts question

Dec 22, 2015
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt for civil war items in Louisiana. I started electrolysis recently on my artifacts. So I run the them in the machine using a carbon granite block. When I take them out I hit them with a hammer and scrub them with a brush but it doesn't seem to get all of the rust off. Do I need to run them longer? or how do i get the rest off. here is a couple pictures of the rust left on. Any tips would be great. After I get all the rust off, I need to soak in water for 24+ hours to leech out the baking soda, then i boil it in parafin wax, and buff it. Right?
Thanks,
NOLAjoe
IMG_0365.JPG IMG_0364.JPG

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I experimented I used Rebar as the other contact and ran it until all the orangeish rust was off. Then washed them and let them dry. If you stabilize them using wax remember to melt the wax till it is JUST turning liquid and then add the pieces and then increase the temp till it little bubbles form on the piece and continue till it stops. You don't want the moisture in the object to flash steam like an grease fire with water in it. (this is VERY important when stabilizing wood objects as there is a lot of moisture and air pockets in them.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I do electrolysis on iron items, I do it long enough to get the outer flakes off, then take the item out and give it a light brushing with a small wire brush, and then give it a coat with Rust Inhibitor spray that you can purchase at any Hardware store, or some Auto Parts stores. It works well, and gives the item a nice sheen + stops the rust from flaking off. You can check out my most recent post (last week) in Todays finds forum - titled " A few relics along the way" . I used this method on the items shown.

OP
OP
D
Dec 22, 2015
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the the replies. I will look into the rust spray and thank you for the warning of the not putting cold metal into boiling wax. Good information. Any idea if i spayed rust inhibitor or oil and let it dry and soak and then did the wax boil? What would happen then. Is there a precursor or better way? I've heard two methods rust spray/oil or wax boil. any middle ground for preservation of my items. I know they aren't great, but i like preserving history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread