Silver coins, deepth and signal

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
I was wandering what is the most coman depth that silver lets say a silver dime, or a half dollar, to to dallar, is found at. I have heard that silver has been found, in the area of 2" deep, to 10"-12"

And alot of the soil in my area is moist, but has some areas of red clay

Also I have not tested my ace 250 on silver coins, will it pick up silver, on the dime,quarter,half,dollar, scale, of will silver be indecated on the part that says silver above the quarter and dollar scale.

Thanks for any input.

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
from my limited experience and reading post here there seems to be what I would call the 6inch barrier that being most coins are found in this range. Of course condtions vary and if the mositure content is just right and the copin has been in the ground for a good while the halo effect and the mositure content combine to give much greater depth havent read much further than 11-12 inchs but I could be wrong. Good luck hunting

Diggerbarns

Oct 30, 2007
I had my hands on a ace 250 and a whites prizm 2 at the same time.I did some testing.Here is what I think,and please anyone here correct me if I,m wrong.I beleive these machines are calibrated to make the distintion on clad coins.Both do well in seperating a penny from a quarter.sometimes a dime will come up as a penny,but I think its because of all the copper .Silver however bounces back a stronger signal.I tested with a merc dime,and it read quarter then dime and kinda bounced back and forth.So i think when you find a silver dime with the ace,youll know it.It will come up in the coin area and dance around between quarter and dime..

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
In undisturbed soil (like turf), you might be able to answer that question. But even THAT will vary from location to location, based on moisture, type of ground cover, etc... For hardpan desert undisturbed dirt, 100 yr. old coins can be .05" deep. That same 100 yr. old coin in lush turf, can be 8 to 10" deep. That same coin in a plowed field can be anywhere from right on top, to 3 ft. down. That same 100 yr. old coin on a beach erosion stretch can be right on top as well. Or in the dry sand of un-eroded beaches, can be over 6 ft. deep. It all just depends. I've gotten seateds, reales, and gold coins I heard with my pinpointer before I even started digging. (1 to 3"), and I've gotten zinc pennies a foot deep! (and all vice-versas inbetween).

But to clarify, when you are in a location where the ground is un-disturbed, you can start to develope patterns for just that one site. Like clad is down to 6". Wheaties and silver seem to be at 6" to 8", barbers and IH's seem to be at 8" to 10", etc... This is just an example, and maybe the next park has got a different scale. But each park tends to be consistent from end to end (except if you wander into hardpan under trees, or tilled up rose gardens, etc... then things can be different)

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
I marvel at some of the target I.D. machines. I use a tone I.D. unit and dig all coin signals. I could care less wether it is a quarter or whatever. All Digital or analog readout machines seem to me to be a waste of time. Are you going to go hunting and decide that you are only going to dig dime signals??????? I have hunted with hunters that use this type of unit and they usually dig all of the targets anyway so why stare at your readout to see what the target is or """is not""" if you are going to dig ???????? Just my thoughts ((time goes on))

Les

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread