Best gear for metal detecting?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good headphones. I especially like my DetectorPro Rattler as it is one ear - so I can here what's going on around me as well.

Lesche digging tool.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finds pouch and a pinpointer.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good headphones, Lesche shovel, and a Garrett pin pointer are all the accessories that I need for a good day of detecting.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the garret really reliable? I was watching a vid on YouTube where this buy from England kept saying they were good but his kept stop working about every 6 months? It's the orange one he was talking about.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the garret really reliable? I was watching a vid on YouTube where this buy from England kept saying they were good but his kept stop working about every 6 months? It's the orange one he was talking about.

Sounds about how long batteries will last.

coin pirate

Feb 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6 pak of beer:occasion14:

Detector, quality digger, headphones are bare minimum. Next would be pinpointer, knee pads, gloves.
Bags and misc extra tools just ends up too much crap, don't make your hobby work by cluttering it up with extras.
Most of the stuff I bring stays in my truck unless I absolutely need it.
oh, and a plastic baggie for trash

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lighter is better in most cases here. Depending on your environment, pick the best digging tool for you, if you don't fight roots there is no need for a special root cutting shovel, my $10 "black and decker" cheapo works for me in most areas, the hand trowel is pretty important, pick a sturdy comfortable one. Now on to pinpointers, i bought two cheap ones before realizing i need to go name brand with a good warrenty, spend the hundred or so on it as it can make things easy or hard if you go cheap. Pouches i would just stick with a store brand double nail pouch apron for a buck or two, and a pouch to hold your trowel and pinpointer. I agree with the others about the other stuff is added weight unless needed of course.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, they are very reliable. I have the orange carrot on one detector, and I still use a first generation (black) one on another detector. The black one is at least 8 years old, and it still works fine. I have them each mounted on the shaft of my detectors with a bracket, so I dont ever forget to take them.

Draz

Greenie
Apr 27, 2020
Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
Tx-850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am fairly new but have found a decent large Bowey knife cuts nice clean plugs in finished grass! And they out back nice. Knife is light. Harbour freight special

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone actually recover clubs with a screw driver karlvonm claims it's better than using a trowel. I don't think it would be easy to do, but i haven't tried it. I know digging in my own backyard my metal detector never got coins exactly so not sure how this would work with a screwdriver as I've sometimes had to dig all around the signal to find anything has anyone made a video on this?

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins not clubs sorry.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, most of us old guys know how to "pop" coins out with a screwdriver. It only works on coins in the top couple inches of soil and you have to be very good at pinpointing. Most good pinpointers will find a coin at a couple inches after detector finds it. Good pinpointing skills are necessary for hunting public places so you don't make a mess of lawns. My old screwdriver is well worn at the tip and if you try it you should use a screwdriver with a dull tip so it doesn't mar coins.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like all of the bases have been covered....I would add that its important to have a positive attitude (" I will find old coins and silver..."), and it doesn't hurt to do some basic research on the site tht you are hitting..Historic Aerials is a good website to take a look at for your area. Get out there and good luck!

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you charge everything and take extra battery's! I take 4 xtra double a's and a extra 9 volt just in case! They do not take up any room and the whole trip is over if a battery goes south!

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, most of us old guys know how to "pop" coins out with a screwdriver. It only works on coins in the top couple inches of soil and you have to be very good at pinpointing. Most good pinpointers will find a coin at a couple inches after detector finds it. Good pinpointing skills are necessary for hunting public places so you don't make a mess of lawns. My old screwdriver is well worn at the tip and if you try it you should use a screwdriver with a dull tip so it doesn't mar coins.
I definitely destroyed my backyard but still getting the hang of digging a plug.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some parks where detecting is allowed but digging is not. Some guys used to carry a brass rod probe (simple piece of brazing rod in a piece of broom handle will do). These were used before pinpointers but work great with them too. Once target (hopefully a coin laying flat) is located with detector/pinpointer one probes for the coin with the brass probe which won't scratch a coin. When coin is felt with probe one feels for the edge of the coin and then knows exactly where to insert screwdriver along side and under coin to pop it out without scratching the coin or digging a hole. This is only really good down to 3" but many coins lie pretty shallow. You can pop rings the same way too.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely destroyed my backyard but still getting the hang of digging a plug.

Don't worry, many of us did the same thing. You're good when you don't need more than a 3"diameter hole to get a target at 6-7" and a 4" diameter hole for 7-9" targets. I am not sure how your detector pinpoints but if it has a pinpoint mode or a DD coil it should not be too hard to master. And I bet you are learning what the machine is telling from digging all those holes. Best way to learn there is!

Last edited:
OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry, many of us did the same thing. You're good when you don't need more than a 3"diameter hole to get a target at 6-7" and a 4" diameter hole for 7-9" targets. I am not sure how your detector pinpoints but if it has a pinpoint mode or a DD coil it should not be too hard to master. And I bet you are learning what the machine is telling from digging all those holes. Best way to learn there is!
I have a garret 250 or 150 i can't remember. I used it a few times but it didn't do it last weekend but in the past at other locations im not sure if we just have very mineralized soil here in western nc but i know at the other places it wouldn't quit beeping most of the time and i never could find anything after lots of digging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread