SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look online to see if your state has a historical society or state library. They may have plat maps or fire maps online. You can also try googling your city and then maps to see what you find. If it is a metro area you might be able to find old street car line maps as well

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Your home is danged expensive!!! I got my house and over 40 acres for $25k - but of course that was 40 years ago...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
NIck,
I enjoy history; and certainly enjoyed reading the backstory to the name of your hamlet:
The original white settlers in the area we now call Ballston were the McDonald Brothers who came here in the 1760’s. These brothers established a good relationship with the Indians who lived near the area and traded extensively with them. Those Indians sometimes would burn the surrounding hillsides so as to attract the deer who would come to eat the new shoots that would sprout up from the ground. Thus, the area became known as the land of the “burnt hills,” a name we still use for the area. Some also say it was the settlers in Schenectady whi looked up at these surrounding hills and, seeing them ablaze, named them the “burnt hills.”

To answers your question, I'd contact your local historian: Rick Reynolds (518) 399-6778
Don...........

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try historicaeriels.com it's free and very cool when you use the overlay feature.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions