Whites and Garrett better step it up - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Whites and Garrett better step it up

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5209 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I went from the ATpro to the Nox800... wait fot it...... BECAUSE IT IS BETTER!!....not cheaper.
    It also costs $400 more than the AT Pro. Sorry, but I'm not paying $400 more to find a couple more Mercs a year...
    Rad1sh, Jim in Idaho and solx nys like this.

Mar 2016
    4501 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho View Post
    I guess we can all buy the cheaper foreign-made machines, and watch another industry go down the toilet. Then wonder why there's no decent jobs for the current college grads. What the heck...we might save a couple hundred bucks.
    Jim
    Offer the best product for the best value and succeed.
    Heck..just offer the best product...capitalism has a way of weeding out companies that take things for granted.

When it comes to metal detecting hobbyist I’m not sure price has everything to do with it. Minelab is a prime example. They sell $7,000 detectors like they are snow cones. Granted most of the parts are made in third world countries and the detectors are likely 80% assembled in second world countries. But price isn’t everything apparently.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; May 13, 2020 at 10:17 PM.
    Rad1sh likes this.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    3808 times
    That is for sure.
    Rad1sh likes this.

us
    Apr 2014
    NJ
    Whites Spectra V3i, Whites MX5, Whites BH 300, Whites MX Sport, Tek Europro, Tesoro Compadre, Makro Multi Kruzer .......... No longer own....... Etrac, CTX3030, G2, Fisher F4 Tesoro Bandido
    322 times
    I think what enthusiasts want/demand is often out of step with what the overall market wants. I'd guess that there are hundreds of people who own a metal detector, for every one member here. Perhaps more. And most of the market isn't going to spend the kind of money that buys the machines that you're talking about - the exception being the Simplex and/or Minelab's latest offering (entry level machines - at least from the standpoint of price).

Garretts appears to be well positioned in the general market - they clearly sell a bunch of their more entry level machines, and they've got a robust business in other avenues (outside their sport division). Enthusiasts tend to discount Garretts because they don't (yet) have a multi-frequency machine, but the demand for such a machine is almost entirely driven by avid enthusiasts, not the average Joe.

Whites doesn't appear to have the market share that Garretts has, but they do have machines that sell fairly well and they have brought out innovative machines recently. From what I've seen (in person) Whites still sells a fair amount of the more entry level machines, but their bigger sellers tend to be their mid-level machines and up.

Both companies have a factor that is very much in their favor - stellar reputations regarding service. That's huge.

In the end it's all about personal choices. I've owned, and used, two of Minelabs "better" machines and didn't like them nearly as much as I like the Whites machines that I still own. I own a Makro Multi-Kruzer; it's a fine machine and I'm very pleased with it. I am also quite impressed with Nokta-Makro's service and attention to their customers. Still, if I were somehow forced to choose between one of my Whites machines and the Kruzer - I'd choose the Whites machines. And I chose the Kruzer over the Equinox (and believe I made the correct choice for me).

Why?

They speak a language I understand. The build quality is exceptional. They find stuff. And I just happen to gel with them.

For me, the Whites machines (I own) are the better machines (compared to the competition). They're not outdated. They certainly aren't ancient technology. In fact I still consider the V3i and the MX Sport to be among the very best coin/jewelry machines on the market. I think the MX5 is still a great machine too - and in some ways it is my favorite of all the machines I own or have owned.

I suspect the doomsday predictions are a bit premature. I get the fact that some of those predictions are really just a public call for increased competition, but some are of the opposite nature; little more than a means of expressing contempt for a brand that doesn't tickle their fancy (for whatever reason).

Ford vs Chevy. John Deere vs IH (or whatever). Buy what you believe is the best tool for your needs. Then learn as much about using that tool as you possibly can. You'll be much further ahead in the game.
    Last edited by Tahts-a-dats-ago; May 13, 2020 at 10:20 PM.
    Rad1sh, Jim in Idaho and solx nys like this.

Mar 2016
    4501 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahts-a-dats-ago View Post
    I think what enthusiasts want/demand is often out of step with what the overall market wants. I'd guess that there are hundreds of people who own a metal detector, for every one member here. Perhaps more. And most of the market isn't going to spend the kind of money that buys the machines that you're talking about - the exception being the Simplex and/or Minelab's latest offering (entry level machines - at least from the standpoint of price).

Garretts appears to be well positioned in the general market - they clearly sell a bunch of their more entry level machines, and they've got a robust business in other avenues (outside their sport division). Enthusiasts tend to discount Garretts because they don't (yet) have a multi-frequency machine, but the demand for such a machine is almost entirely driven by avid enthusiasts, not the average Joe.

Whites doesn't appear to have the market share that Garretts has, but they do have machines that sell fairly well and they have brought out innovative machines recently. From what I've seen (in person) Whites still sells a fair amount of the more entry level machines, but their bigger sellers tend to be their mid-level machines and up.

Both companies have a factor that is very much in their favor - stellar reputations regarding service. That's huge.

In the end it's all about personal choices. I've owned, and used, two of Minelabs "better" machines and didn't like them nearly as much as I like the Whites machines that I still own. I own a Makro Multi-Kruzer; it's a fine machine and I'm very pleased with it. I am also quite impressed with Nokta-Makro's service and attention to their customers. Still, if I were somehow forced to choose between one of my Whites machines and the Kruzer - I'd choose the Whites machines. And I chose the Kruzer over the Equinox (and believe I made the correct choice for me).

Why?

They speak a language I understand. The build quality is exceptional. They find stuff. And I just happen to gel with them.

For me, the Whites machines (I own) are the better machines (compared to the competition). They're not outdated. They certainly aren't ancient technology. In fact I still consider the V3i and the MX Sport to be among the very best machines on the market. I think the MX5 is still a great machine too - and in some ways it is my favorite of all the machines I own or have owned.

I suspect the doomsday predictions are a bit premature. I get the fact that some of those predictions are really just a public call for increased competition, but some are of the opposite nature; little more than a means of expressing contempt for a brand that doesn't tickle their fancy (for whatever reason).

Ford vs Chevy. John Deere vs IH (or whatever). Buy what you believe is the best tool for your needs. Then learn as much about using that tool as you possibly can. You'll be much further ahead in the game.
    Maybe 3 months ago...but some of these American companies may not be around soon unless they are too big to fail and get bailed out by tax payers. We are in a different world now.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

us
    Apr 2014
    NJ
    Whites Spectra V3i, Whites MX5, Whites BH 300, Whites MX Sport, Tek Europro, Tesoro Compadre, Makro Multi Kruzer .......... No longer own....... Etrac, CTX3030, G2, Fisher F4 Tesoro Bandido
    322 times
    "Maybe 3 months ago...but some of these American companies may not be around soon unless they are too big to fail and get bailed out by tax payers. We are in a different world now."

That is an excellent point.

Mar 2016
    4501 times
    Jim, I completely get your sentiment.

Start making the best stuff in the world here, and I will GLADLY pay significantly more $$ for it. Partially because it’s the best and partially because it supports our country and out of a sense of pride.

Make expensive junk here...I will buy slightly better cheap imported junk if that’s my only option.

Cars, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, power tools...Honda (Japanese) is BY FAR the best product. Expensive, but the best.
    Jim in Idaho likes this.

us
    Apr 2013
    Martinsburg, WV
    White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500 Ace 250
    262 times
    I can get my White's serviced locally and Garrett and White's both have taken care of me above and beyond when something has gone wrong. Will these other manufacturers repair my items low cost or free of charge out of warranty or if something was my fault? There are many stories of White's and Garrett over the years making things right no matter what. Good customer service creates loyalty with me, and I will overlook a few perceived shortcomings for top notch above and beyond service and overall experience.
    Jim in Idaho, chub and solx nys like this.

us
    Nov 2003
    Orange Co. NY
    White's xlt,Tesoro Silver umax, and Compadre.
    69 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahts-a-dats-ago View Post

Why?

For me, the Whites machines (I own) are the better machines (compared to the competition). They're not outdated. They certainly aren't ancient technology. In fact I still consider the V3i and the MX Sport to be among the very best coin/jewelry machines on the market. I think the MX5 is still a great machine too - and in some ways it is my favorite of all the machines I own or have owned.

My XLT still performs like new out of the box for nearly 30 years now. I do not own a MX Sport, but by studying the manual, and watching user videos... It's basicly a waterproof simplified XLT at a frequency more sensitive to lower conductive targets while still grabbing silver. If it lasts for 30 years, then it's worth every penny.

In my opinion the secret of Minelab from the start was the stock coil being a DD coil. The TX/RX footprint of a DD is more forgiving for poor sweep overlap habits, and more able to get inbetween trash, but that's what a smaller coil is for. I do give Minelab a thumbs up for performance in conductive salt enviroment though.

Whites does have to make a lighter, and waterproof V3i with sleek aesthetics if they want to step up their game.
    dingode likes this.
    You know it's a good day when you not only have surface finds of Pulltabs, but pull two out of the same hole.

Charter Member
    us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    NOX899 ATpro
    4693 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post
    It also costs $400 more than the AT Pro. Sorry, but I'm not paying $400 more to find a couple more Mercs a year...
    Please dont buy the Nox, I like detecting behind ATpros, and very glad its out of most peoples price range...
    chub likes this.
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5209 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Please dont buy the Nox, I like detecting behind ATpros, and very glad its out of most peoples price range.
    Not out of my price range, just not stupid enough to pay an extra $400 with the slim hope I'll find a few more silver dimes a year. And you're dreaming if you think you'll find anything significant if you detect after any spot I've done.
    Lucio21 likes this.

us
    Sep 2019
    Olympia, Washington
    Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy) Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
    84 times
    I think Garrett surprised many of us in this Apex.

chub likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    29700 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Rad1sh, what's the surprise? That Garrett has a MFrequency machine?

us
    Sep 2019
    Olympia, Washington
    Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy) Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
    84 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    Rad1sh, what's the surprise? That Garrett has a MFrequency machine?
    The surprise was calling it an ace. My original post did not translate the sarcasm well.

us
    May 2020
    Teknetics T2 Se Ltd. Fisher CZ3D Minelab Etrac
    34 times
    When I got into detecting I ordered my Garrett GTA 1000 Power Master out of the back of a magazine. It was accurate,powerful and well made. The original run of the AT PRO was a complete dumpster fire as far as quality goes. When sales numbers become more important than quality, I bow out. Whites had a great thing going with the black box detectors. Not sure why they stopped making them.

Then there is the issue of their "test teams". I watched a video of a Garrett test team member who is supposedly some high falutin, godly, detectorist and the coil on their detector was on backwards. Same thing with Whites team. I have a friend who hunted with a few of their members when the V series came out. My friend was using a $450 detector and hunter circles around the Whites test team. He was BEGGED not to upload the video because it would make Whites look bad.

I understand they are in business to make money, but with such an obvious disconnect that is VISIBLE, I spend my money elsewhere.
    Rad1sh likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links