Whites and Garrett better step it up

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two so called legendary metal detecting companies are going either have to step up or get bought out or close. I mean other than minelab, xp deus, there’s a company like them or not, notka makro blowing the minds away with this simplex and infibio. Garrett new apex machine they better stepped it up or waste of time, 250.00 simplex with multiple updates nobody can match, made in America or not let’s get real even minelab made in Australia I think, what your opinion folks.

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy)
Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. I am not sure Whites can compete currently. They list a couple of their best engineers. As for Garrett I am not sure they can or want to compete at those price points. Should be an interesting next few years.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I guess we can all buy the cheaper foreign-made machines, and watch another industry go down the toilet. Then wonder why there's no decent jobs for the current college grads. What the heck...we might save a couple hundred bucks.
Jim

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's nothing cheap about a Minelab or XP.
It's about the best technology.
If Whites or Garrett would build detectors with 21st century technology I would gladly buy one.
Used Whites for 45 years.
Did not want to change brands, felt I had no choice.

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy)
Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess we can all buy the cheaper foreign-made machines, and watch another industry go down the toilet. Then wonder why there's no decent jobs for the current college grads. What the heck...we might save a couple hundred bucks.
Jim

So by that reasoning I should buy over priced 15 year old technology? I am not only saving a few hundred bucks but using some high tech gear.

There are plenty of jobs for our graduates. Unfortunately companies use work visas to hire someone at half the salary. But we keep voting against our economic interests. Buying American has ceased to mean much since the 80s.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Think about what you're pursuing. A few lousy coins, or other items. I'd bet my 20 year old White's DFX will find at least 90% of what the latest and greatest will find. Assuming that's true, what's the big deal? Few people will ever earn back what a detector costs, anyway. I guess I just don't get it. I've been hunting alongside my buddy and his Equinox, and have yet to see him find any more good targets than I have. I'm not going to buy foreign when there are reasonably capable machines made in the US. Just call me old-fashioned, and patriotic.
Jim

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sir the good old USA sold there soul to the devil along long time ago I agree but nobody spoke up then, it’s called greed. And guess who suffered we do, thankyou for comment but at the end of the day big corporations don’t care about we the non essential that do most of the work, thankyou I realize I’m not that important but they rub it in our face everyday I’m replaceable in a New York minute, thankyou

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was a "White's man" until I tried the Equinox 800. You are right. They need to step it up.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
I have 2 whites over 20 years old made better and stronger than anything sold today and work just as well, the new machines are breaking all the time HH

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look just so all you no my first detector was a whites dfx, I get America made don’t want to here no more whining about it, I’d pay more if made here like Levi’s etc, but guess what most companies overseas our owned by are greedy fellow Americans that are living here in USA. Again it’s so obvious they are not willing to pass the so called savings on, they rather keep it for themselves so I’m might be dumber than hell but I do catch on sooner or later, and as I said to you earlier above, I’m all about America, but when I see corporations are not and you no it to folks, don’t let them dumb you down, you can speak your mind, I’m with you all at the end of day, we sold oh excuse big corporations sold there soul to the devil to benefit themselves thankyou, screw you Americans they considered us non essential years ago

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You forgot about First Texas...A decade of thumb twiddling. Probably best to wait 3 more days until the Apex release to see if it is new tech. This reminds me a bit of the Ipod...MP3 players were around before the ipod. Steve Jobs did not invent the mp3 player. The ipod was just a good combination of package, presentation, user friendly and well marketed.
In the last 12 years First Texas couldnt even be bothered to make a waterpoof single frequency machine. Kudos to Garrett for trying to keep things fresh- hopefully the Apex IS innovative.
People must also remember that Minelab started multi frequency way back in the 90s. I had the XT17000 back in about 94 or 95. That's 17 simultaneous frequencies 25 YEARS AGO!!
It must be difficult for any company right now especially with this possible depression forecast...that still doesnt make it right for companies that have been asleep at the wheel for the last few decades.

chub

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Whites and Garrett guys like to have fun, they dont care about what they are missing as long as they find something they are having fun and keeping it American...

Now the serious guys they dont like to miss targets thats why they go with latest technology doesn't matter where its made its all about performance...

The Whites and Garrett guys see how good the new technology is and the only thing bad they can say is "not made in USA"...

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro was made in the USA... it does take more than patriotism to be successful.

Chub

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still love my Tesoro's, Whites and Garrett and will be faithful till death do we part then decide which new machine to buy. It may be another of the same. Those companies and their machines will always have a fan base even if they go under, just like musician's and artists who have passed away.
Jon
8-)
:cat:
:occasion14:
:headbang:

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use my Tesoro Sand Shark at the beach and my AT-PRO in the dirt and I am a happy camper!!

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Basically, what they're saying is Whites and Garrett better start selling their machines at a price point their customers like. That's what cost us our industries in the first place. Expecting American companies to compete with cheap foreign labor. Of course, they don't want THEIR wages and benefits cut.
Jim

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said I don’t mind paying for made in America , we could have did something about this long ago, oh excuse me we did we sold our soul to the devil and that changed things forever. Remember most companies overseas are owned by people living here.they simply don’t pass the savings on to consumer they keep it, so you figure it out

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BUT...,and it's a big BUT, that's not the case with either Whites or Garrett, the two companies you disparaged in your thread title and post.
Jim

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
i posted on this thread about my whites machines but i must admit that i also have a equinox 600 strickly for wet sand but i feel it is cheaply built and hate the idea of rechargeable batteries wih me luck jim

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did this thread turn into a domestic vs foreign thread when the question presented wasn't about "buying American", it was about calling on some US manufacturers to up their game. Just because they're American companies doesn't mean, we the consumer, should expect 20, even 30 year old technology. There is nothing more patriotic then American competition and innovation, but sadly, some of these American companies are taking us, the consumer, for granted. Yes, I agree, they need to up their game or they will go the way of the Studebaker...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread