tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just tell em you don't have your ID handy and give a fake name if they ask. I've been confronted twice now by rangers who were curious about why I was wandering around looking at the ground. They use binoculars from a distance and I guess I was looking like I lost my marbles to them out walking around in concentric circles. Both times they seemed rather nervous in confronting me, as if they were ready to act if I pulled a weapon on them. Ain't nothing fun to do anymore without some rule attached to it.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is the claimed justification for the closure?
Jim

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I looked at the BLM website, specifically about Black Rock. There is no mention of what you described. Quite the opposite. Welcome to all.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We were out there twice last summer. No problems.
Jim

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no doubt that this rumor is based on some fact.

Just give it some time. This stuff is in the works for years before they spring it on people, or it becomes widely known.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just look at the recently completed nationwide FEDERAL directive to close national forest lands to unauthorized vehicular travel.

Black rock desert...people drive wherever they please..camping wherever they please. BLM is step 2

They will lie to achieve the goal that has been in the works since the 1960’s.
I listened to our local forest supervisor tell our county board of supervisors that all they wanted to do was get the roads in use on a map and that NOT A SINGLE road would be closed. Thousands of miles of existing roads were legally closed, with the outraged public being reassured that the law enforcement would be directed to provide educational guidance whenever possible rather than issue citations. Which means they politely tell you to get out or find yourself in federal court.

That lady is still in charge even after the truth became known. That made me so angry to sit and listen to that!

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The BLM doesn't want you out there picking up artifacts. Some of the nicest Crescent in the country come from the Black Rock. Now, on the other hand. If you have enough money, you can hold a pagan festival and desecrate a national treasure. Don't kid yourself, I've seen videos of the garbage left behind after Burning Man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread