Would you say metal detecting has more interest these past few years - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Would you say metal detecting has more interest these past few years

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Amateur treasure hunter

Apr 2020
    25 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Nowadays YouTube is the way to make detecting popular&interesting for the younger generation. But, unfortunately, it's free and don't require any confirmation of your skills to upload videos... That's why it is so easy to find some low-grade information. Internet problems!
    chub likes this.

us
    A-Team = Reasearch and Recovery Team. If you don’t care about the past generations of centuries ago, then your current thought of today will always be incomplete, it all matters folks.

Aug 2013
    Steel city
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    506 times
    Your right you have to pick and choose what’s honest, not just paid marketing channels on there obviously selling a brand because of free mercy. Like anything a flood of information, it’s like to news on tv, my god it’s to much and turns me off. Either case we can learn something from most. I wish life wasn’t so full of bull crap, honesty still carries a lot of weight. Nobody is worried about the big picture simply helping folks out, thanks

us
    A-Team = Reasearch and Recovery Team. If you don’t care about the past generations of centuries ago, then your current thought of today will always be incomplete, it all matters folks.

Aug 2013
    Steel city
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    506 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyad View Post
    Nowadays YouTube is the way to make detecting popular&interesting for the younger generation. But, unfortunately, it's free and don't require any confirmation of your skills to upload videos... That's why it is so easy to find some low-grade information. Internet problems!
    Merchandise is the word, not mercy thankyou

Apr 2020
    1 times

more or less people detecting nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by 49er12 View Post
    Merchandise is the word, not mercy thankyou
    More people may be detecting these days but they will not be around long{IMO]. Yes they watch you-tube. Going to metaldetect and become rich. Then they find out all the restrictions [rules/laws] and all of a sudden its not so fun and definitely not profitable. So while there may be an increase I do not believe many will stick around. I also come and go, depending on work and finds. I am up here by Chicago [suburbs] . The rules are ridiculous , even at parks I get to, I will be there [by myself, no kids , nobody] and look up and there is a policeman watching me. Very unnerving. Most never say anything. Once in a while they will say someone called and ask me to leave so they do not have to come back. I comply, don't need or want the hassle. Its very disheartening as I AM SURE MANY OF YOU KNOW. Anyhow I become disenfranchised for a while and will put the detector away, but I return because I love the hunt and you truly do not ever know what you are going to find. My finds after a few years are small, nothing historic yet, but there is always that possibility. So I keep detecting [enjoying] myself. You all who dig in the dirt enjoy yourselves and HAPPY HUNTING!!
    SD51 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    9007 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I think you will always have the serious hunters who research. Many people are just lucky to live in certain areas. I think it is not at its peak. Consider this. More fishing and hunting license were sold just this year then in the last couple combined. So people are getting out.....
    chub likes this.
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

Amateur treasure hunter

Apr 2020
    25 times
    Well, speaking about merchandise and marketing, there's obviously not enough content popularizing treasure hunting. And that small amount that exists is not enough to raise popularity.
    More fishing and hunting license were sold just this year than in the last couple combined. So people are getting out.....
    There is a raise in outdoor activities, yes, so it's just a question of time when people start thinking on more unusual stuff like TH or smth else

us

Aug 2013
    Steel city
    506 times
    I was a big mlb, nfl fan, but that isn’t important anymore, why they are financially fine we most struggle especially today, so my alternate entertainment is much better than sitting in the house,and those activities include, walking, bike riding, kayaking, metal detecting to name a few now you tell me what’s more important clearing my mind and be with family that remember these times or *****ing and cheering for millionaires that don’t care about our financial matters, honestly it’s true, we the people should think but that’s not as important a fake and reality tv now that’s nonessential, my opinion but I thinks it’s true

Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705
    3066 times
    Less interest now. I think there was a surge may ten years ago when there were a couple of metal detecting programs on cable TV, can’t even think of the names now but there were lots of people coming to these boards asking about finding “nectar” and “juice”, some made up terms used by the guys on one of the shows. The other fools, the “Boom Baby” guys did things like dig with bulldozers. Good TV, not real metal detecting but it did get people interested in the hobby. Then they found out it was hours and hours of finding pop tabs and gave it up.
    Last edited by SusanMN; May 20, 2020 at 07:16 PM.
    G.A.P.metal, Flyad and chub like this.
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it”

Thomas Jefferson

Amateur treasure hunter

Apr 2020
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 49er12 View Post
    I was a big mlb, nfl fan, but that isn’t important anymore, why they are financially fine we most struggle especially today, so my alternate entertainment is much better than sitting in the house,and those activities include, walking, bike riding, kayaking, metal detecting to name a few now you tell me what’s more important clearing my mind and be with family that remember these times or *****ing and cheering for millionaires that don’t care about our financial matters, honestly it’s true, we the people should think but that’s not as important a fake and reality tv now that’s nonessential, my opinion but I thinks it’s true
    Can't argue with that. That's why I gave up on soccer and nhl. Sports are not pure competition anymore. More like business.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    3109 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Sports are good for keeping the masses pacified.

Amateur treasure hunter

Apr 2020
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    Sports are good for keeping the masses pacified.
    That's the only reason I see for people who watch these millionaires games...

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    3109 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyad View Post
    That's the only reason I see for people who watch these millionaires games...
    They’re about to become
    thousandaires.
    Flyad likes this.

us
    El Padron

Oct 2010
    Southern California
    The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
    434 times
    Unreported banner: 3 (maybe 4)
    About 7 years ago was the absolute heyday for retail sales of "treasure hunting equipment".
    Huge amounts of money were made by manufacturers who started inscrupulous marketing divisions to target an overly idealistic public with an insatiable interest.

New detectorrists were targeted and successfully harvested by purposely contrived insencere marketing campaigns " Find more treasure then in your wildest dreams"........ and for about two years it worked.

Retailers had little to no respect for their buying public. Very little inovation was incorporated and lots of very very high dollar trash was sold only to be used once or twice.

The culture was such that one succesfull retailer would offer counterfit cobs "with certificates of authenticity" as incentive for buying a $1500.00 metal detector or pinpointer that wasn't even water resistant. They knew that for their target purchasers they didn't have to be.

Todays remaining serious salvagers and detectorists are perhaps more knowledgeble and prepared.
    If they don't detect as often they are completely ok with that.
    They plan out mini "excursions" months in advance, do research and keep their best secrets and finds to themselves.
    They constantly look and wait for ideal conditions.
    Last edited by el padron; May 22, 2020 at 07:43 PM.
    chub likes this.
    Why isn't every metal detector at least water resistant? A $7 drugstore flashlight is guaranteed for life to 10 feet. If a squirrel piss*s onto the face of my sov... well.... thats another forum.

Disclaimer: Most any and all artifacts or valuables mentioned have been found on property that was originally aquired in the 1847 United States of America invasion of Mexico.

United States Veteran, Headquarters Company, Law Enforcement Activity, Ft Campbell Ky. ARMY Military Police.

Amateur treasure hunter

Apr 2020
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by el padron View Post
    About 7 years ago was the absolute heyday for retail sales of "treasure hunting equipment".
    Huge amounts of money were made by manufacturers who started inscrupulous marketing divisions to target an overly idealistic public with an insatiable interest.

New detectorrists were targeted and successfully harvested by purposely contrived insencere marketing campaigns " Find more treasure then in your wildest dreams"........ and for about two years it worked.

Retailers had little to no respect for their buying public. Very little inovation was incorporated and lots of very very high dollar trash was sold only to be used once or twice.

The culture was such that one succesfull retailer would offer counterfit cobs "with certificates of authenticity" as incentive for buying a $1500.00 metal detector or pinpointer that wasn't even water resistant. They knew that for their target purchasers they didn't have to be.

Todays remaining serious salvagers and detectorists are perhaps more knowledgeble and prepared.
    If they don't detect as often they are completely ok with that.
    They plan out mini "excursions" months in advance, do research and keep their best secrets and finds to themselves.
    They constantly look and wait for ideal conditions.
    Good for me that I wasn't in that wave... Still newbie. And the information I'm learning is mostly from forums. Almost every article I find is trying to sell me something at some point. Better learn with the community!
    el padron likes this.

si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    DBP2010, eeTH, Felezjoo
    176 times
    Threwout the history, crime and welth has been hideing underground. I do not belive there is much political will to popularize TH, at least not in my Country. Quite the opposite is actually the truth, the structure in power is rather looking more and more how to limit or ban this sport altogether.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links