Would you say metal detecting has more interest these past few years

Flyad

Apr 28, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, speaking about merchandise and marketing, there's obviously not enough content popularizing treasure hunting. And that small amount that exists is not enough to raise popularity.
More fishing and hunting license were sold just this year than in the last couple combined. So people are getting out.....
There is a raise in outdoor activities, yes, so it's just a question of time when people start thinking on more unusual stuff like TH or smth else

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a big mlb, nfl fan, but that isn’t important anymore, why they are financially fine we most struggle especially today, so my alternate entertainment is much better than sitting in the house,and those activities include, walking, bike riding, kayaking, metal detecting to name a few now you tell me what’s more important clearing my mind and be with family that remember these times or *****ing and cheering for millionaires that don’t care about our financial matters, honestly it’s true, we the people should think but that’s not as important a fake and reality tv now that’s nonessential, my opinion but I thinks it’s true

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Less interest now. I think there was a surge may ten years ago when there were a couple of metal detecting programs on cable TV, can’t even think of the names now but there were lots of people coming to these boards asking about finding “nectar” and “juice”, some made up terms used by the guys on one of the shows. The other fools, the “Boom Baby” guys did things like dig with bulldozers. Good TV, not real metal detecting but it did get people interested in the hobby. Then they found out it was hours and hours of finding pop tabs and gave it up.

Last edited:

Flyad

Apr 28, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a big mlb, nfl fan, but that isn’t important anymore, why they are financially fine we most struggle especially today, so my alternate entertainment is much better than sitting in the house,and those activities include, walking, bike riding, kayaking, metal detecting to name a few now you tell me what’s more important clearing my mind and be with family that remember these times or *****ing and cheering for millionaires that don’t care about our financial matters, honestly it’s true, we the people should think but that’s not as important a fake and reality tv now that’s nonessential, my opinion but I thinks it’s true
Can't argue with that. That's why I gave up on soccer and nhl. Sports are not pure competition anymore. More like business.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
About 7 years ago was the absolute heyday for retail sales of "treasure hunting equipment".
Huge amounts of money were made by manufacturers who started inscrupulous marketing divisions to target an overly idealistic public with an insatiable interest.

New detectorrists were targeted and successfully harvested by purposely contrived insencere marketing campaigns " Find more treasure then in your wildest dreams"........ and for about two years it worked.

Retailers had little to no respect for their buying public. Very little inovation was incorporated and lots of very very high dollar trash was sold only to be used once or twice.

The culture was such that one succesfull retailer would offer counterfit cobs "with certificates of authenticity" as incentive for buying a $1500.00 metal detector or pinpointer that wasn't even water resistant. They knew that for their target purchasers they didn't have to be.

Todays remaining serious salvagers and detectorists are perhaps more knowledgeble and prepared.
If they don't detect as often they are completely ok with that.
They plan out mini "excursions" months in advance, do research and keep their best secrets and finds to themselves.
They constantly look and wait for ideal conditions.

Last edited:

Flyad

Apr 28, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 7 years ago was the absolute heyday for retail sales of "treasure hunting equipment".
Huge amounts of money were made by manufacturers who started inscrupulous marketing divisions to target an overly idealistic public with an insatiable interest.

New detectorrists were targeted and successfully harvested by purposely contrived insencere marketing campaigns " Find more treasure then in your wildest dreams"........ and for about two years it worked.

Retailers had little to no respect for their buying public. Very little inovation was incorporated and lots of very very high dollar trash was sold only to be used once or twice.

The culture was such that one succesfull retailer would offer counterfit cobs "with certificates of authenticity" as incentive for buying a $1500.00 metal detector or pinpointer that wasn't even water resistant. They knew that for their target purchasers they didn't have to be.

Todays remaining serious salvagers and detectorists are perhaps more knowledgeble and prepared.
If they don't detect as often they are completely ok with that.
They plan out mini "excursions" months in advance, do research and keep their best secrets and finds to themselves.
They constantly look and wait for ideal conditions.

Good for me that I wasn't in that wave... Still newbie. And the information I'm learning is mostly from forums. Almost every article I find is trying to sell me something at some point. Better learn with the community!

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Threwout the history, crime and welth has been hideing underground. I do not belive there is much political will to popularize TH, at least not in my Country. Quite the opposite is actually the truth, the structure in power is rather looking more and more how to limit or ban this sport altogether.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What country r u from if I may ask, coincidentally the government , faa currently causing issues flying drones for hobbits etc, but not for Amazon big companies, they want flying I’d so they can see who’s flying. Yeah it didn’t take long to loose the very abilities we where given 200 years ago, certain rights and liberties, in ending its r fault we let it happen, treasure hunting or metal detecting is getting regulated to its beginning stages so I suggest someone form a union or hire a lawyer it’s sad but true I’ve been telling people this for sometime but I get bad rift from certain people thankyou

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Less interest now. I think there was a surge may ten years ago when there were a couple of metal detecting programs on cable TV, can’t even think of the names now but there were lots of people coming to these boards asking about finding “nectar” and “juice”, some made up terms used by the guys on one of the shows. The other fools, the “Boom Baby” guys did things like dig with bulldozers. Good TV, not real metal detecting but it did get people interested in the hobby. Then they found out it was hours and hours of finding pop tabs and gave it up.

An excellent point. All about timing....It probably did contribute to the million Ace 250's sold! I remember seeing *KG and *ringmaster on another show and they were completely normal and not screaming about roundness in the hole etc. with every find.

chub

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For one milion Ace 250 sold it's worh screaming, right?
Non the less an ACE 250 was a decent detector for the afortable price, offered most of all the basic stuff a VLF could offer, and was simple to use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread