Would you say metal detecting has more interest these past few years

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another one of my random thoughts, being new machines offered by the companies, YouTube videos, but no national commercials why you suppose, they don’t want the cost or don’t feel they need to, just wondering, I currently don’t have cable most channels are a waste of time anyhow anyone care to give thoughts. I use to get diggers magazine so I wish in a way it got more talk, but I no folks less in hobby more for we all, lol

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think so but I havent bin in the game long myself, I see detector companies going the same route as Professional RC car racing, with RC car racing every company sponsors drivers and the drivers rarely get full sponsored but with get a percentage off the MSRP price witch is always alot higher then retail, the driver pays about the same as retail but is now only using the products from the sponsor, so the sponsor gets free advertisement... Garrett and Simplex have gone this route, that is why guys like the Hoover boys and Aqua chigger dont use other machines any more but they used to if you watch there older videos...

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct they let the YouTube channels do there advertising for them. Give them free machines etc in exchange they show how to use them and the rest we no, so you have the answer no need to nationally advertise when you tubers do it for nothing but a cost of free machine and so on, great answer

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
It seemed to have a lot more interest 10 years ago. Many of the people I hunted with then are no longer involved in the hobby much, there were many group hunts.

I believe the increased interest then was due to the big rise in the value of gold and silver, then the crash and loss of interest.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seems like a rare and dying hobby from my country's perspective. There is a few of us left, still holding the rifle... The government regulations and laws doesn't help either...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I see a lot of new people detecting, but they rarely last. I believe that they think its easy to go out and find Gold jewelry, Coins...etc. and dig no trash. :dontknow:

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right, everyone wants quick gratification, patience isn’t in most human beings. Everyone bends over thousands of times and digs trash, why. No machine is percfect, anyhow nobody takes time to learn so as we all say eBay will always have used machines for sale, thankyou sir

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Double post

Chub

Last edited:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to fly RC planes, glow fuel....for 20 years....then came electric, great quality RC simualters for PC,then ARF (almpst ready to fly), then drones etc etc. Every stage WAS an advancement but basically made people *cheque book modellers....no one has the skill to build anymore, or the time to drive to a flying field. Noise and "oily mess" killed glow..Its all gone downhill and most clubs have few young people.
Harley Davidson is in a similar situation "recruiting" millenials and yonger people. Their target market are all old middle age men now.
I think alot of people think detecting is a get rich quick thing and that every beach is full of gold and diamonds... until they try it...a whole days digging, gas money etc...a few coins and alot of trash to take home.
Most young people are so wrapped up in tech and phones, social media etc I think alot of hobbies that involve effort are falling by the wayside. Young people dont seem to be into anything much anymore.

If it was more popular would more young people be doing it? Or do more older people become interested?

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/530432-average-age-detectorist.html

Chub

Scrum

Apr 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am about to get back into after a few years away. My biggest thing is what detector to grab. There are alot of choices for detectors and I think a lot of begginers buy real cheap ones and get discouraged when they don't hit anything.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think so. Like you said, there has been introduced several new models of detectors, and I'm sure to see them on a YouTube detectorist's
channel, get gifted with a new detector to try out and review ... and, I spend a lot of time watching videos of many channels, and the popular ones, get new, same company machines to try....

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesnt help the hobby when the average age range of a detectorist is 55 to 75, and they are grumpy as all hell. A young guy gets in the hobby and he has a choice of learning thru youtube or thru a grumpy senior citizen.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Let me relay what I encountered on my last short hunt yesterday in a natural park that was basically a creek with large flood plain/swamp (now dry) with paths around and through it. Ran into three boys 13 to 8 in age (just a guess) asked them where two different paths led to, and of course they knew. The older boy said his father got a real good metal detector for Christmas. Next ran into a mom and two girls (13 and 6 years old, estimate). The older girl was just full of intelligent questions. What were my typical finds, how deep would the detector detect, how much would a detector cost her. Younger girl was interested in how it worked. Plopped down a quarter and swung over it so she could hear the tones and then kicked over some sand to bury it and did the same. Mom also was trying to explain to the younger girl how it sees down in the dirt.

I know that was a small sample size, but two out of three groups of people I met during that short (1.5 hour) hunt expressed genuine interest in metal detecting. It always appears to me that younger people are more interested when seeing someone metal detecting than older people. But how does that convert into actual purchases.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe an education series would do, give a free basic class on detecting in your local park as an educational program, that in itself create interest

Lucio21

Greenie
May 15, 2020
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Se Ltd.
Fisher CZ3D
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly yes. And the tv shows and youtube clowns are the reason.

Flyad

Apr 28, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nowadays YouTube is the way to make detecting popular&interesting for the younger generation. But, unfortunately, it's free and don't require any confirmation of your skills to upload videos... That's why it is so easy to find some low-grade information. Internet problems!

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right you have to pick and choose what’s honest, not just paid marketing channels on there obviously selling a brand because of free mercy. Like anything a flood of information, it’s like to news on tv, my god it’s to much and turns me off. Either case we can learn something from most. I wish life wasn’t so full of bull crap, honesty still carries a lot of weight. Nobody is worried about the big picture simply helping folks out, thanks

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nowadays YouTube is the way to make detecting popular&interesting for the younger generation. But, unfortunately, it's free and don't require any confirmation of your skills to upload videos... That's why it is so easy to find some low-grade information. Internet problems!

Merchandise is the word, not mercy thankyou

Garbonzo

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more or less people detecting nowadays

Merchandise is the word, not mercy thankyou

More people may be detecting these days but they will not be around long{IMO]. Yes they watch you-tube. Going to metaldetect and become rich. Then they find out all the restrictions [rules/laws] and all of a sudden its not so fun and definitely not profitable. So while there may be an increase I do not believe many will stick around. I also come and go, depending on work and finds. I am up here by Chicago [suburbs] . The rules are ridiculous , even at parks I get to, I will be there [by myself, no kids , nobody] and look up and there is a policeman watching me. Very unnerving. Most never say anything. Once in a while they will say someone called and ask me to leave so they do not have to come back. I comply, don't need or want the hassle. Its very disheartening as I AM SURE MANY OF YOU KNOW. Anyhow I become disenfranchised for a while and will put the detector away, but I return because I love the hunt and you truly do not ever know what you are going to find. My finds after a few years are small, nothing historic yet, but there is always that possibility. So I keep detecting [enjoying] myself. You all who dig in the dirt enjoy yourselves and HAPPY HUNTING!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you will always have the serious hunters who research. Many people are just lucky to live in certain areas. I think it is not at its peak. Consider this. More fishing and hunting license were sold just this year then in the last couple combined. So people are getting out.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread