Moved to Orlando - Which Beaches are OK?

QuartermasterD

May 17, 2018
Gainesville, FL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, as the title implies, I recently moved to Orlando and I am not familiar with the beaches near me. I'm looking to head out Saturday morning to do some beach detecting, so I wanted to see if anyone had advice on where to go. It seems like New Smyrna and Cocoa are the two obvious locations to start, but I'm not sure about the in-between. What are the best spots? And at what point for each is metal detecting not allowed? I would guess no further north than the port channel for Cocoa, but what about south of NSB? Thanks in advance for any replies!

bparks

Greenie
Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got Daytona Beach just north of New Symrna. Lots of tourists when there isn't a virus going on. Probably a good chance to find jewelry.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daytona, New Smyrna Beach and Cocoa are all available and you can also hit west coast beaches like St Pete, Clearwater and other smaller beaches.

I live in NW Orlando, what part of Orlando are you in?

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First off welcome to Florida. Second I'm sorry you have to live in Orlando!:laughing7:
I don't metal detect but they do it a lot here on the beaches in the Melbourne Beach area.
About 20 miles south of me is Sebastian Inlet and some very impressive Spanish coin finds are common. There is a small museum on the beach just south of the inlet. After storms the " Cobb Patrols " are out in force looking for shipwreck coins. This part of Florida is called the treasure coast for that very reason. There are in the summer ship wreck treasure hunters anchored over their leases searching for the shipwrecks that dot this stretch of beach. You can see them from the beach between Sebastian & Vero. A friend of mine here in Indialantic walks the beach early almost every day. She has found 3 coins over the years while looking for sea glass and unusual shells. All were Spanish shipwreck coins. Good luck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful in Sebastian inlet area, it violates state law to detect in the water at all in that area unless your working for the company that owns the lease for that area.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Treasure Hunter is right. Most people don't know or care about Florida's strict laws pertaining to shipwrecks and native American artifacts. I think both are overbearing and unconstitutional. If someone finds a coin on the beach the last person I'd tell is the State. They have basically legalized their right to seize most of what people spend a fortune to find.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter is right. Most people don't know or care about Florida's strict laws pertaining to shipwrecks and native American artifacts. I think both are overbearing and unconstitutional. If someone finds a coin on the beach the last person I'd tell is the State. They have basically legalized their right to seize most of what people spend a fortune to find.

Finding it on the beach is legal as long as not in water or wet sand,, even 1/2 inch if water is illegal on Treasure coast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread