USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello All,
So here in Mississippi we have a pest called the buffalo gnat. Vicious little dudes. I’ve found two products that work great. “No Natz” and “Amber Romance” are superb repellents. Just wanted to get this out there and maybe save some of ya’ll some misery.

Semper Fi,
EJD

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank-you EJD for that info! We have them up here where I like to fish! They don't bite but thousands get in your face and behind your sunglasses. Bought a head net to try. Basically, they are considered a bad invention!

OP
OP
USMC Reaper

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank-you EJD for that info! We have them up here where I like to fish! They don't bite but thousands get in your face and behind your sunglasses. Bought a head net to try. Basically, they are considered a bad invention!

You’re very welcome, Brother. Of the two products mentioned that Amber Romance is like having an anti-gnat force field around your body.

Semper Fi

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think you will love the head net. I used one for years while hiking to keep the gnats out of my eyes and ears. I wear a baseball cap with the net over the hat which helps keep the net off my face. Good for keeping the dang deer flies off too when their season comes around.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gonna save all of you some money and keep you smelling like a cupcake. As a guide in east tx I deal with buffalo knats every year. They can make life in the river bottom impossible.

That said there is a super easy and totally effective cure..... Pure vanilla extract. Just a drop on each side of your neck and one on each wrist will keep them off.

You are welcome in advance. Steve

OP
OP
USMC Reaper

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm gonna save all of you some money and keep you smelling like a cupcake. As a guide in east tx I deal with buffalo knats every year. They can make life in the river bottom impossible.

That said there is a super easy and totally effective cure..... Pure vanilla extract. Just a drop on each side of your neck and one on each wrist will keep them off.

Thanks Steve. Vanilla extract just got on the shopping list.

Semper Fi

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to wear a hat with a head net when I water detect in the summer because I am allergic to flu bites. It’s annoying at first but Keeps them from biting.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw this on Facebook and thought it might be worth a try.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-05-17 (3) My dad taught me this gardening trick and it's - Bridget Whalen-Nevin.png
    Screenshot_2020-05-17 (3) My dad taught me this gardening trick and it's - Bridget Whalen-Nevin.png
    117 KB · Views: 32

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I've used headnets, in two climates. Cool Northern Idaho in May, and South Carolina's swamps in the summer. They work well at keeping the bugs out of your face, eyes, ears, nose and mouth. And prevent bites. If good vision is important, they don't give it to you. In the North, good when the black flies are attacking you, and in the mosquito swarms. The rest of the time, take it off. In the South, it was like wearing a plastic bag. That screen holds in about half of the heat, or more. Intolerable.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve. Vanilla extract just got on the shopping list.

Semper Fi

Thanks Steve, will steal my wife's bottle of Vanilla Extract and give it a try. Also ordered the NoNatz! Thanks EJD and thanks for your Service!

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Avon skin so soft bath oil is what i have used since i was in Georgia back in the 80s .

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandfly these little suckers will drain your body and fly off with your carcass !! Dusk and dawn are bad times for these guys here in the keys. There so small you can hardly see them. They must be all mouth cause they bite the s**t out of you. Once they penetrate your hair and start biting your scalp you'll start to do the sand fly dance......if you get tore up bad for several days it can be dangerous to your health......they will absolutely drive you insane if you get into them to badly. Skin so soft or off is the only thing that keeps them at bay.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought some stickers that are sticky on both sides and you put them on the back of your hat for deer flies. They seem to work pretty well for buffalo gnats too. I saw buffalo gnats for the first time a few years ago in KY. Never had them here until 2 yrs ago. Now we're getting educated on buffalo gnats. Thanks for the vanilla tip. Gary

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandfly these little suckers will drain your body and fly off with your carcass !! Dusk and dawn are bad times for these guys here in the keys. There so small you can hardly see them. They must be all mouth cause they bite the s**t out of you. Once they penetrate your hair and start biting your scalp you'll start to do the sand fly dance......if you get tore up bad for several days it can be dangerous to your health......they will absolutely drive you insane if you get into them to badly. Skin so soft or off is the only thing that keeps them at bay.
Skin so soft has vanilla in it. Just save your money and use vanilla. You can mix with water in a spray bottle if you want as well. Generally just a dab on the new and wrist will do it though.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 or 4 drops of Tea Tree Oil in a 14 - 16 oz. spray bottle filled with water works well for me. Keeps ticks, fly's, gnats, bee's and every other insect away.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy I'm so glad you mentioned buffalo gnats and reminded me of one more better reason to live in the mountains instead of Oklahoma. They're an aggravation and some people have more of a reaction to them than others. We were working as OK State Park Rangers years ago, and outdoors everyday. From our experience I can tell you, that Avon Skin so Soft don't work. Drops of vanilla just made us walk around smelling like big cookies. Horsemint leaves rubbed on their bite would offer a little relief, but that was after the fact. The good thing, when the weather gets hotter and drier, about when they start harvesting wheat in Oklahoma, they go away.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I tried this trick today in the south Georgia heat and humidity. I put a dab below each ear and then wiped my finger across my forehead and walked around my 1 acre backyard for about 45 minutes. I did not have the first gnat come near me the entire time! But, when my wife got home I had to convince her there hadn't been any women around!:laughing7:

jhenary

May 13, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just make sure your head net is actually gnat proof. Was camping in the Everglades this past March and had ordered new "gnat-proof" head nets from Amazon. Hopped out of the hammock before dark and immediately had a head net full of gnats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread