Tried to Auction My GW Inaugural Button - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Tried to Auction My GW Inaugural Button

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2020
    358 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I think it is all interesting discussion. For example, how a button made of copper or an alloy can be worth more than an older piece of Spanish gold just because of sentimentality.

si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    DBP2010, eeTH, Felezjoo
    174 times
    Price of an item depends on how much is someone ready to pay for it, rather than the item's walue per se. For instance, a face mask is only few cents worth, unless suddenly everybody wants them......
    Eastender likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    29514 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    They are all "banner" finds. That "turkey eagle" variety is the most common one found. I have owned 4 over the years. I don't have them anymore, it is pretty hard to get the other varieties and I just gave up.
    Eastender likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2005
    Coastal Georgia
    XP Deus, XP ORX, Equinox 800, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
    330 times
    Did you let anyone on the forum know it was for sale?

g
    Eastender likes this.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    16561 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    more and more being found every year - bringing prices down
    long ago a friend got around $3500 for one like yours

when i started hunting as a kid in the 70s - almost no one knew what they were
    most of us were coinshooters - then W & E mag posted one found - then a guy in our club found one
    but we had not seen many of the varieties that are out there now
    So Im on a hunt - I think its around 1978 (Im 15) hunting a school from the 1800s near a real old park
    Im digging a target when i get hit with an object - i look around and guy that i was hunting with is laughing
    he says "look at that...found really deep ...thought i had a large cent...friggin button"
    I asked "do you want it back?" "nope"
    I threw it back at him and it went over his head and into some bushes
    Few yrs go by and we are talking in a group at club meeting and guys are talking about others that had found GW
    buttons and they say some say - LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT - around the outside with GW in the middle
    guy i had hunted with said that button he had hit me with had a GW in middle and i told him i remember
    the writing on the edge - we went back to spot the next day but bushes were now a parking lot
    Eastender, T.C. and xcopperstax like this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5205 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I think it is all interesting discussion. For example, how a button made of copper or an alloy can be worth more than an older piece of Spanish gold just because of sentimentality.
    I think most people view them as historical artifacts. They were issued to honor the first president this country ever had, which was a very significant historical event.
    Eastender likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    They are all "banner" finds. That "turkey eagle" variety is the most common one found. I have owned 4 over the years. I don't have them anymore, it is pretty hard to get the other varieties and I just gave up.
    This one that I found and posted back in April, of which there are very few known*, is pretty rare, but it wasn't banner worthy.

*(less than 10 specimens)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan 49.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	392.8 KB 
ID:	1835017  
    Last edited by creskol; May 19, 2020 at 02:01 PM.
    smokeythecat and Eastender like this.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

us
    Can you dig it.

Dec 2016
    NH
    Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT------- Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
    1432 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by creskol View Post
    This one that I found and posted back in April is pretty rare, but it wasn't banner worthy.
    It's beyond worthy. I challenge anyone to find another one in as good of condition. My opion is that this banner system is not equal..i.e.. a certain # of banner votes gets the nomination. Equal chance for everyone based on accumulated votes. Instead I see some things with 4 pages of people all voting banner and it never makes it up top, while ive seen other items not even get a 1/4 of the interest and get banner seemingly instantly. Someone on the other end of this website seems to make the final say. My opinion.
    creskol and Eastender like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SultansOfSwing View Post
    It's beyond worthy. I challenge anyone to find another one in as good of condition. My opion is that this banner system is not equal..i.e.. a certain # of banner votes gets the nomination. Equal chance for everyone based on accumulated votes. Instead I see some things with 4 pages of people all voting banner and it never makes it up top, while ive seen other items not even get a 1/4 of the interest and get banner seemingly instantly. Someone on the other end of this website seems to make the final say. My opinion.
    Here is something neat to look at since we are talking about prices of GW Buttons
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 6.40.56 AM.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	553.6 KB 
ID:	1835032  
    Eastender and T.C. like this.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    29514 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Creskol, the button you found is a rare critter indeed! I have only found one GW ever. However, that being said, to find one on the east coast should not be an impossible task. I bought one once at an auction in a box of arrowheads for $2. A long time ago. A very long time ago. It was the "GW with linked states type".
    creskol, Eastender and xcopperstax like this.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    16561 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Mar 2020
    358 times
    I think they are exciting finds and one of my goals is to find more of them. The georgewashingtoninauguralbuttons.com site is both fascinating and harsh to our hobby: "Dug specimens from metal detector enthusiasts for all variety can be easily obtained and not considered rare." Sounds like someone who has invested a fortune at the auction houses and wants to plant this idea in people's heads.
    creskol and 1320 like this.

Mar 2020
    358 times
    I didn't make an effort to let members here know i was selling it because I didn't know if was proper etiquette.

Mar 2020
    358 times
    I did do a search on the internet for selling GW buttons and came across an ad from the auction house Nate D. Sanders specifically advertising assistance in selling these buttons. They got back to me fairly quickly with: "Similar buttons have sold for around $800 at auction. Unfortunately, it would not be something that we can help you with." That set the tone for me.
    T.C. likes this.

us
    Sep 2018
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Max
    4562 times
    I think the GW buttons are not as rare as people make them out to be. Now keep in mind I have only been a detectorist for about 4 years so I am a relative know nothing... but in the short time I've been a member of this forum (1.5 years I think) I feel like I've seen the GW buttons go from instant banner to a few comments and congratulations. I follow a few east coast youtubers and in the past year or so the Hoover Boys crew has found 2 GW's, Stefdigs has found one, Miss detectorist has found one, and maybe a couple others. Plus the GW finds that have shown up on here with some regularity. There are a few people on here who have found multiple GW's. I am in a club with about 45-60 people and in the past three years none have been found and shown off at the monthly meetings as far as I remember. So yes they are rare on some level and maybe they seem more common because they are a whole bunch of varieties under the one name of GW. I feel like they are more likely to be found than a gold coin. I'm not trying to downplay anyone's excitement as I would be over the moon if I ever find one and it would pretty much be the ultimate find I could think of making.
    1320 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links